Life is not a bed of roses, there are lots of things that can make one sad. When the heart is filled with grief, your whole world seems to be crumbling, nothing appears clear anymore and you find it hard to get over it. These feeling of sadness can erupt as a result of so many things, but most often from relationship problems. It hurts so much when you are betrayed by someone you love and this can sometimes lead to depression or even stress. Apart from this, there are so many other reasons for one to be sad in life, it might be a failure to achieve a goal at a stipulated time, the death of a loved one, etc. Sometimes it is advised not to allow these circumstances weigh us down, and as such, it becomes very important to find ways of dealing with it. In this article, we’ve listed sad quotes that might help you get over any sad moment.
Sad Quotes About Love
1. Should I smile because we’re friends or cry because that’s all we’ll ever be?
2. The day you finally decide to love me will be that day after the day I give up on chasing you.
3. I think I’d do better on my own, no friends, no fights. Just me, alone.
4. I don’t run from you, I walk away slowly, and it kills me, ’cause you don’t care enough to stop me.
5. When you walk away, I count the steps that you take.
6. For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been’.
7. Nobody deserves your tears, but whoever deserves them will not make you cry.
8. Every man has his secret sorrows which the world knows not, and often times we call a man cold when he is only sad.
9. It’s easy to cry when you realize that everyone you love will reject you or die.
10. Open your eyes, look within. Are you satisfied with the life you’re living?
11. The tragedy of life is not so much what men suffer, but rather what they miss.
12. Sadness flies away on the wings of time.
13. It doesn’t hurt to feel sad from time to time.
14. I was raised in an atmosphere of ‘everything’s fine.’ But as I got older, I was like, ‘Well no, everything’s not fine. There is stuff that’s sad.’ I am a really sensitive person. I think I am too sensitive sometimes.
15. Participate joyfully in the sorrows of the world. We cannot cure the world of sorrows, but we can choose to live in joy.
16. First, accept sadness. Realize that without losing, winning isn’t so great.
17. In deep sadness, there is no place for sentimentality.
18. Good humour is the health of the soul, sadness is its poison.
19. What else does anxiety about the future bring you but sorrow upon sorrow?
20. They say it’s better to bury your sadness in a graveyard or garden that waits for the spring to wake from its sleep and burst into green.
21. The keenest sorrow is to recognize ourselves as the sole cause of all our adversities.
22. When I seemed to be irritable or sad, my father would quote the learned Dr. Knight, and then say, ‘Just go to sleep.’ Like all smart-aleck kids, I thought the advice was silly. But as I’ve grown older, I’ve realized just how smart Knight was.
23. I had sadness for breakfast.
24. Words are less needful to sorrow than to joy.
25. You have to let it all hang out, let go of the ideas that were more comfortable and embrace some of the sadness in your life.
26. The excursion is the same when you go looking for your sorrow as when you go looking for your joy.
27. Sadness is also a kind of defence.
28. Melancholy and sadness are the start of doubt… doubt is the beginning of despair; despair is the cruel beginning of the differing degrees of wickedness.
29. Actually, the moment of victory is wonderful, but also sad. It means that your trip is ended.
30. Tears are the natural penalties of pleasure. It is a law that we should pay for all that we enjoy.
31. Let us remember that sorrow alone is the creator of great things.
32. Never make a decision when you are upset, sad, jealous or in love.
33. When you wake up each morning, you can choose to be happy or choose to be sad. Unless some terrible catastrophe has occurred the night before, it is pretty much up to you. Tomorrow morning, when the sun shines through your window, choose to make it a happy day.
34. I’ve had tons of bullies who would call me retarded, even on my Facebook page. It’s sad and it really hurts. I want to tell people not to use the word. Don’t say your friend’s retarded when they do something foolish. If you have a disability, keep working hard. Whatever it takes, do it, and don’t be mean to people.
35. Falling in love is awesome, but I’m never drawn to happy songs per se, so whenever you sit down to write a heartbreak song and you’re happily in love, it’s like, ‘OK, now I have to go back to a sad place to get something good.’
36. It’s sad to know I’m done. But looking back, I’ve got a lot of great memories.
37. Better by far you should forget and smile that you should remember and be sad.
38. And in real life endings aren’t always neat, whether they’re happy endings, or whether they’re sad endings.
39. In this world, full often, our joys are only the tender shadows which our sorrows cast.
40. It’s a sad man my friend who’s living’ in his own skin and can’t stand the company.
41. We tell our triumphs to the crowds, but our own hearts are the sole confidants of our sorrows.
42. The saddest thing that befalls a soul is when it loses faith in God and woman.
43. The reason for the sadness of this modern age and the men who live in it is that it looks for the truth in everything and finds it.
44. It’s a source of great sadness to me that my father died without having seen me do anything worthwhile. He was constantly having to make excuses for me.
45. Let my soul smile through my heart and my heart smile through my eyes, that I may scatter rich smiles in sad hearts.
46. You can never control who you fall in love with, even when you’re in the most sad, confused time of your life. You don’t fall in love with people because they’re fun. It just happens.
47. The good times of today, are the sad thoughts of tomorrow.
48. It’s time to say goodbye, but I think goodbyes are sad and I’d much rather say hello. Hello to a new adventure.
49. I am convinced that material things can contribute a lot to making one’s life pleasant, but, basically, if you do not have very good friends and relatives who matter to you, life will be really empty and sad and material things cease to be important.
50. If people who cherish freedom, who know the importance of mutual respect and are aware of the imperative necessity to establish a constructive and critical debate, if these people are not ready to speak out, to be more committed and visible, then we can expect sad, painful tomorrows. The choice is ours.
51. For me, singing sad songs often has a way of healing a situation. It gets the hurt out in the open into the light, out of the darkness.
52. We’re taught to be ashamed of confusion, anger, fear, and sadness, and to me, they’re of equal value to happiness, excitement, and inspiration.
53. It is one of the most saddening things in life that, try as we may, we can never be certain of making people happy, whereas we can almost always be certain of making them unhappy.
54. Can I see another’s woe, and not be in sorrow too? Can I see another’s grief, and not seek for kind relief?
55. The rose and the thorn, and sorrow and gladness are linked together.
56. God is in the sadness and the laughter, in the bitter and the sweet.
57. We never taste a perfect joy; our happiest successes are mixed with sadness.
58. Tears are nature’s lotion for the eyes. The eyes see better for being washed by them.
59. Nobody understands another’s sorrow, and nobody another’s joy.
60. An ounce of cheerfulness is worth a pound of sadness to serve God with.
61. You get used to sadness, growing up in the mountains, I guess.
62. There’s no excuse to be bored. Sad, yes. Angry, yes. Depressed, yes. Crazy, yes. But there’s no excuse for boredom, ever.
63. When you feel sad, it’s okay. It’s not the end of the world. Everyone has those days when you doubt yourself, and when you feel like everything you do sucks, but then there are those days when you feel like Superman. It’s just the balance of the world. I just write to feel better.
64. The day you think there is no improvements to be made is a sad one for any player.
65. Every word, facial expression, gesture, or action on the part of a parent gives the child some message about self-worth. It is sad that so many parents don’t realize what messages they are sending.
66. We look before and after, And pine for what is not; Our sincerest laughter With some pain is fraught; Our sweetest songs are those that tell of saddest thought.
67. And I remember going to the recording studio and there was a park across the street and I’d see all the children playing and I would cry because it would make me sad that I would have to work instead.
68. Do not make best friends with a melancholy sad soul. They always are heavily loaded, and you must bear half.
69. One must not let oneself be overwhelmed by sadness.
70. Dying is only one thing to be sad over… Living unhappily is something else.
71. My father’s death, my move, and my frightening and difficult delivery created a tremendous amount of stress, pain, and sadness for me. I was practically devastated beyond recovery.
72. Time takes away the grief of men.
73. My heart longs for you, My soul dies for you, My eyes cry for you, And my empty arms reach out for you.
74. Out of all the lies you’ve told, “I love you” was my favourite.
75. If you don’t love me at my worst, then you don’t deserve me at my best.
76. He said he’s sorry and with one finger I said: “fuck that”.
77. Having the love of your life break up with you and say “we can still be friends” is like your dog dying and your mum saying “you can still keep it”.
78. My knight in shining armour turned out to be a loser in tinfoil.
79. Sometimes I hate you. I hate how perfect your life seems without me.
80. Nobody dies a virgin, ’cause in the end, life fucks us all.
81. I thought when love for you died, I should die. It’s dead. Alone, most strangely, I live on.
82. Numbing the pain for a while will make it worse when you finally feel it.
83. Sadness flies on the wings of the morning and out of the heart of darkness comes the light.
84. Sadness is but a wall between two gardens.
85. Oh, I am very weary, Though tears no longer flow; My eyes are tired of weeping, My heart is sick of woe.
86. Our sweetest songs are those that tell of saddest thought.
87. Isn’t it sad to go to your grave without ever wondering why you were born? Who, with such a thought, would not spring from bed, eager to resume discovering the world and rejoicing to be part of it?
88. Live by this credo: have a little laugh at life and look around you for happiness instead of sadness. Laughter has always brought me out of unhappy situations.
89. Every life has a measure of sorrow, and sometimes this is what awakens us.
90. I wish I had saved all the tears you made me cry, so I could fuck drown you in them.
91. Who do you turn to, when the only person in the world who can stop you from crying, is the one making you cry?
92. I run in the rain, so that nobody can see my tears.
93. Maybe when he broke my heart, he forgot I could feel.
94. Giving up doesn’t always mean you’re weak, sometimes it just means that you’re strong enough to let go.
95. The saddest thing in the world, is loving someone who used to love you.
96. Pain doesn’t hurt… when it’s all you’ve ever felt.
97. Sadness flies away on the wings of time.
98. Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of the overcoming of it.
99. I can see the humorous side of things and enjoy the fun when it comes; but look where I will, there seems to me always more sadness than joy in life.
100. Sad will be the day for any man when he becomes contented with the thoughts he is thinking and the deeds he is doing – where there is not forever beating at the doors of his soul some great desire to do something larger; which he knows he was meant and made to do.
101. Good humour is the health of the soul, sadness its poison ~ Lord Chesterfield
102. A man’s sorrow runs uphill; true it is difficult for him to bear, but it is also difficult for him to keep ~ Djuna Barnes
103. You are always with me…in my thoughts ~ Anonymous
104. Smile, even if it’s a sad smile because sadder than a sad smile is the sadness of not knowing how to smile ~ Anonymous
105. Better by far you should forget and smile than that you should remember and be sad ~ Christina G. Rossetti
106. Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of the overcoming of it ~ Anonymous
107. A man should always consider how much he has more than he wants, and how much more unhappy he might be that he really is ~ Joseph Addison
108. I know I can feel bad, when I get in a bad mood, and the world can look so sad, only you make me feel good ~ Madonna
109. Beginnings are scary. Endings are usually sad, but it’s the middle that counts the most ~ Anonymous
110. The walls we build around us to keep out the sadness also keep out the joy ~ Jim Rohn
111. However long the night, the dawn will break ~ Anonymous
112. A sad spectacle. If they be inhabited, what a scope for misery and folly. If they be not inhabited, what a waste of space ~ Anonymous
113. If it doesn’t work out there will never be any doubt that the pleasure was worth all the pain ~ Jimmy Buffett
114. He is a hard man who is only just, and a sad one who is only wise ~ Voltaire
115. Nobody deserves your tears, but whoever deserves them will not make you cry ~ Gabriel Garcia Marquez
116. Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears ~ Marcus Aurelius
117. The walls we build around us to keep out the sadness also keep out the joy ~ Anonymous
118. For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been ~ John Greenleaf Whittier
119. It is sad to grow old but nice to ripen ~ Anonymous
120. Sadness and gladness succeed each other ~ Proverb
121. Sadness is always the legacy of the past; regrets are pains of the memory ~ Anonymous
122. How sad to see a father with money and no joy. The man studied economics but never studied happiness ~ Jim Rohn
123. Sadness dulls the heart more than the grossest sin ~ Anonymous
124. Sometimes, no matter how much faith we have, we lose people. But you never forget them and sometimes, it’s those memories that give us the strength to go on ~ Anonymous
125. My feeling is that there is nothing in life but refraining from hurting others, and comforting those who are sad ~ Olive Schreiner
126. I never regretted telling you I loved you, the only regret I have is never hearing what you really thought of me ~ Anonymous
127. We ask God to forgive us for our evil thoughts and evil temper, but rarely, if ever ask Him to forgive us for our sadness ~ Anonymous
128. They that sow in tears shall reap in joy ~ Anonymous
129. As I’ve gotten older, I find I am able to be nourished more by sorrow and to distinguish it from depression ~ Robert Bly
130. The walls we build around us to keep sadness out also keeps out the joy ~ Jim Rohn
131. Crying is cleansing. There’s a reason for tears, happiness or sadness ~ Dionne Warwick
132. I do believe that if you haven’t learnt about sadness, you cannot appreciate happiness ~ Nana Mouskouri
133. With any kind of mean girl, or anyone who bullies anyone, there’s always a reason for it. There is that sadness in them or insecurity that makes them feel like they need to act out or hurt other people ~ Maiara Walsh
134. Experiencing sadness and anger can make you feel more creative, and by being creative, you can get beyond your pain or negativity ~ Yoko Ono
135. Dying seems less sad than having lived too little ~ Anonymous
136. An ounce of cheerfulness is worth a pound of sadness to serve God with ~ Thomas Fuller
137. Red is the ultimate cure for sadness ~ Bill Blass
138. Better by far you should forget and smile than that you should remember and be sad ~ Anonymous
139. (As sad) as if World War II had never ended ~ Nancy Huston
140. All sorrows can be borne if you put them into a story or tell a story about them ~ Isak Dinesen
141. Melancholy is sadness that has taken on lightness ~ Italo Calvino
142. I too have known joy and sadness, and, on the whole, I prefer joy ~ Ashleigh Brilliant
143. Sad are only those who understand ~ Arab Proverb
144. For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, It might have been ~ Anonymous
145. Sorrow is the child of too much joy ~ Chinese Proverb
146. Love can sometimes be magic. But magic can sometimes… just be an illusion ~ Javan
147. Clowns wear a face that’s painted intentionally on them so they appear to be happy or sad. What kind of mask are you wearing today ~ Anonymous
148. I like this quote I dislike this quote. There are moments when, even to the sober eye of Reason, the world of our sad humanity must assume the aspect of Hell ~ Edgar Allan Poe
149. It is better to have loved and lost than never to have lost at all ~ Samuel Butler
150. Sadness is the result of unhappy thoughts.
151. Ah, All things come to those who wait, (I say these words to make me glad), But something answers, soft and sad, They come, but often come too late ~ Anonymous
152. Sadness is but a wall between two gardens ~ Kahlil Gibran
153. The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it ~ Anonymous
154. 155 Solitary trees, if they grow at all, grow strong ~ Winston Churchill
155. The word ‘happiness’ would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness ~ Carl Gustav Jung
156. Don’t criticize something you know nothing about. It only brings people down and makes everyone miserable ~ Laura Hall
157. Sadness flies away on the wings of time ~ Anonymous
158. Anger, tears, and sadness are only for those who have given up ~ Katie Gill
159. When the sparrow sings its final refrain, the hush is felt nowhere more deeply than in the heart of man ~ Don Williams Jr.
160. Beauty and sadness always go together. Nature thought beauty too rich to go forth Upon the earth without a meet alloy ~ George MacDonald
161. A low-grade sadness coursing through me like a virus ~ Greg Bottoms
162. Usually, when people are sad, they don’t do anything. They just cry over their condition. But when they get angry, they bring about a change ~ Malcolm
163. A wound heals but the scar remains ~ Proverb
164. Love can sometimes be magic. But magic can sometimes just be an illusion ~ Javan
165. Though I know he loves me, tonight my heart is sad; his kiss was not so wonderful as all the dreams I had ~ Sara Teasdale
166. If your presence doesn’t make any difference to him, your absence won’t either ~ Anonymous
167. Don’t wait until it’s too late to tell someone how much you love, how much you care because when they’re gone, no matter how loud you shout and cry, they won’t hear you anymore ~ Anonymous
168. Anger is just a cowardly extension of sadness. It’s a lot easier to be angry at someone than it is to tell them you’re hurt ~ Tom Gates
169. Live by this credo: have a little laugh at life and look around you for happiness instead of sadness. Laughter has always brought me out of unhappy situations ~ Red Skelton
170. Sadness flies away on the wings of time ~ Jean de La Fontaine
171. First, accept sadness. Realize that without losing, winning isn’t so great ~ Alyssa Milano
172. If my leg falls off, I’ll get a prosthetic. There’d be no deep sadness about it. I’d just get on with it! It’s called life, and I love life. You have to be positive, and you have to crack on no matter what ~ John Lydon
173. I feel bad when you miss me, I feel sad when you don’t ~ Juanita
174. I really believe that all of us have a lot of darkness in our souls. Anger, rage, fear, sadness. I don’t think that’s only reserved for people who have horrible upbringings. I think it really exists and is part of the human condition. I think in the course of your life you figure out ways to deal with that ~ Kevin Bacon
175. Every human walks around with a certain kind of sadness. They may not wear it on their sleeves, but it’s there if you look deep ~ Taraji P. Henson
176. Red is the ultimate cure for sadness ~ Bill Blass
177. Absolute silence leads to sadness. It is the image of death ~ Jean-Jacques Rousseau
178. Boredom, anger, sadness, or fear are not ‘yours,’ not personal. They are conditions of the human mind. They come and go. Nothing that comes and goes is you. ∼ Eckhart Tolle
179. Sadness is but a wall between two gardens ~ Khalil Gibran
Sad Quotes About Life
180. Life doesn’t hurt until you think about how much things have changed, who you’ve lost along the way, and how much of it was your fault ~ Jamila M. Allen
181. It’s hard to hold on to something that you know would never be yours in any way you think of, you just have to learn to let go and face the fact that while good things never last…some don’t even start… ~ Anonymous
182. Have you ever felt so alone and nothing makes sense? Well, that’s how I feel right now…I feel like I’m facing everything myself, with nothing but tears and a fake smile… ~ Anonymous
183. We enjoy warmth because we have been cold. We appreciate light because we have been in darkness. By the same token, we can experience joy because we have known sadness ~ David Weatherford
184. They that sow in tears shall reap in joy ~ Psalms
185. Sadness flies away on the wings of time ~ Jean de La Fontaine
186. I don’t know if I’m getting better or just used to the pain ~ Anonymous
187. Nobody really cares if you’re miserable, so you might as well be happy ~ Cynthia Nelms
188. Behind my smile is everything you’ll never understand ~ Anonymous
189. It sucks to be alone, even when there are people all around you ~ Scrubs
190. I wake up and think dreams are real. I sleep so I don’t have to feel ~ Anonymous
191. Hearts will never be practical until they can be made unbreakable ~ Wizard of Oz
192. There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy ~ Dante Alighieri
193. How sad to see a father with money and no joy. The man studied economics but never studied happiness ~ Jim Rohn
194. Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation ~ Khalil Gibran
195. The saddest summary of a life contains three descriptions: could have, might have, and should have ~ Louis E. Boone
196. I seldom think about my limitations, and they never make me sad. Perhaps there is just a touch of yearning at times; but it is vague, like a breeze among flowers ~ Helen Keller
197. Clowns wear a face that’s painted intentionally on them so they appear to be happy or sad. What kind of mask are you wearing today? ~ Anonymous
198. Words hurt more than anything else can, because of the fact that they last, sometimes forever ~ Anonymous
199. I want to get lost from my life sometimes, sit on the side and watch the world go by, I want to get lost and I don’t know why ~ Everclear
200. I’ve learned it takes years to build up trust, but only seconds to destroy it ~ Anonymous
- 200 Good Morning Quotes For Him or Her
- 100+ Best Drake Quotes
- Top 100 Newlywed Game Questions
- 160 Funny Random Questions to Ask Someone
- 200 Bible Trivia Questions and Answers
- 100 Serious Questions To Ask Your Boyfriend
- Top 20 Most Romantic Love Songs For My Girlfriend
- Top 20 Most Romantic Love Songs For My Boyfriend
- Top 5 Indispensable Tips On How You Can Turn A Guy On