Winnie Mashaba (born 1st April 1981, Age: 41 years old) is a popular South African gospel singer, television presenter, and businesswoman who is best recognised for always wearing her doek.
One of the people to have greatly contributed to the gospel music genre in South Africa is Winnie Mashaba. Since bursting onto the scene, the songstress has won multiple awards, charming gospel music lovers with her velvet voice that has since become synonymous with the Zion Christian Church, where she got her breakthrough. In addition to singing, Mashaba is also a TV presenter and businesswoman. She presents a gospel show on Dumisa TV (DSTV channel 340) and has gotten herself involved in a number of ventures that would go a long way in changing the lives of South Africans.
Summary of Winnie Mashaba’s Biography
- Full name: Winnie Mashaba
- Gender: Female
- Date of birth: 1st of April 1981
- Winnie Mashaba’s Age: 41 years old
- Ethnicity: Black
- Nationality: South African
- Zodiac Sign: Aries
- Sexual Orientation: Straight
- Religion: Christianity
- Marital Status: Married
- Winnie Mashaba’s Husband: Mokgogo Makgopa
- Winnie Mashaba’s Children: Relebogilemali Mashaba
- Winnie Mashaba’sParents: MaLebo Mashaba (mother)
- Siblings: Helen and Karabo (sisters)
- Winnie Mashaba’s Net worth: between $1 Million – $5 Million
- Famous for: Her music career and for always wearing her doek
- Winnie Mashaba’s Instagram: winnie_mashaba
- Twitter: @Winni_emashaba
Who is Winnie Mashaba?
Winnie Mashaba was born Selinah Winnie Mashaba on the 1st of April 1981 in the mining town of Steelpoort, Limpopo Province, South Africa. While the identity of her father is unknown, her mother has been identified as MaLebo Mashaba. The young girl was raised in the small village of Kgosi Phasha where she went on to attend Mashupje High School.
Like every girl her age who thought they could sing, Mashaba joined her church choir. It was here that her mother, who worked as a manager at a funeral parlor, took note of her talent and got in contact with gospel great Solly Moholo. After some persuasion, Moholo made the journey to hear her sing and was not disappointed.
He soon began mentoring the little girl who made the bold decision of dropping out of school right after passing Grade 11 in 1998. She made the decision to focus on her singing career as she was already vested in it, traveling to Moholo’s studio in Pretoria to record music while her peers spent their weekends and school holidays playing and watching movies.
By 2000, Winnie Mashaba released her debut album “Exodus 20”, announcing herself to gospel music lovers and launching a career that has stood the test of time. While the songstress has continued to release quality music, she has also made sure to return to school, furthering her education in Adult Basic Education before later earning a degree in psychology in 2012.
Who is Winnie Mashaba’s Husband?
Winnie Mashaba is married to Mokgogo Makgopa, who is often referred to in the media as Peter Masaba. While it is known that the pair have been married since 2005, it is not exactly clear when and how they got to know each other. Together, the two have been unable to have any children, something Mashaba says she has come to terms after suffering her second miscarriage. In the meantime, the couple serves as parents to her youngest siblings; Helen and Karabo, who both live with her and her husband in Polokwane as they finish their studies.
So far, Winnie and Mokgogo have successfully been able to mix their business and marital life. In addition to being Mashaba’s soulmate, Peter also serves as his wife’s manager. Speaking in an interview, the O Mohau Messiah singer said that their working relationship has not affected their personal life, and because they are deeply in love with each other, she trusts him and believes that nothing will go wrong.
Other Interesting Facts about Winnie Mashaba
1. Winnie Mashaba has a music publishing and event management company known as Tswako Music Company, which operates in Pretoria and Polokwane.
2. Her journey in the music industry has seen her walk home with numerous prestigious awards. Some of the awards she has taken home include – Best Female Artist during the Crown Gospels Award (2010), Metro Music FM Awards (2005), Kora Africa Music Award (2005), and Best Gospel Artist of the Year (2006).
3. In 2009, she received the Sekhukhune Achievers Awards from the community she was raised in. The following year, she was decorated with the Sekhukhune Municipality Mayor‘s Excellence Awards for excellence and outstanding performance in music.
Winnie Mashaba Songs & Albums
Since the release of her first album, Exodus 20 which sold over twenty-five thousand copies in 2000, the Limpopo-born musician has released over fifteen more bodies of work. Some of the more notable ones include “Ke Rata Wena” (2008), “Motswelle Se Bapale Ka Kekere” (2009), “Go Tseba Jehova” (2010), “Bophelo Ke Leeto” (2012), “The Very Best of Winnie Mashaba Live at State Theatre” (2014), “Lehlotlo Laka” (2015), and “O Tla Ya Kae?” (2015).
Most of Winnie Mashaba songs can be streamed or downloaded from iTunes, Napster, and a number of other music platforms. Fans of her music can further visit her website at www.winniemashaba.co.za to get more information about her music.