The appointment of the former AU chair Dlamini-Zuma has sparked off rumour about a fresh cabinet reshuffle in one year, but the South African Communist Party (SACP) has pledged support to support the reshuffle only if it is based on a proper assessment.
It is believed that the fresh Cabinet reshuffle rumoured to take place soon is part of Zuma’s plan to boost Dlamini-Zuma’s chances of currying favour with voters by giving her the opportunity to announce the government’s plans to roll out free tertiary education.
It is also a plot to finally remove all the remnant of the anti-Zumas who could pose a huge threat to his future leadership under the Dlamini-Zuma.
Read Also: Zuma Is Winning His Succession Game
However, the SACP has pledged to support the fresh cabinet reshuffle only if it this would take down all those implicated in the Gupta emails and other corruption scandals.
There are speculations that the Higher Education Minister Blade Nzimande will likely be fired by Zuma and that presidential hopeful Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma will be appointed to replace him.
As far as the SACP is concerned, Nzimande will remain the Minister of Higher Education, said SACP spokesperson Mhlekwa Nxumalo
“President Zuma is still expected to act within the collective interests of the ANC. When he has any intention to do a reshuffle, we are sure the ANC will contact us,” he further stated, adding that Zuma will not get away with an “unjustifiable” reshuffle.
“We will only welcome a reshuffle if it is based on a proper assessment of government work.”
He adds that they’ll only support a reshuffle that takes action against ministers implicated in scandals, including the Gupta emails and Sassa debacle.
The Cabinet earlier related its concerns over the leaked emails which allegedly demonstrates the influential Gupta family’s hold over President Jacob Zuma, government, state-owned enterprises and politicians – but stressed people are innocent until proven guilty.
Some of the ministers implicated by the leaked Gupta email include Ayanda Dlodlo – SA’s Communication Minister; Brian Molefe – Former MP and just dismissed Eskom Boss; Malusi Gigaba -Former Home Affairs Minister who is now SA’s Finance Minister; Tom Moyane – Head of South African Revenue Service (SARS); and Dunduzane Zuma – President Jacob Zuma’s son and top official of a Gupta-own Company.
Some cases have so far been opened and everyone with information about wrongdoing by government officials or ministers to inform law enforcement agencies are urged to speak up.
Meanwhile, the Public Protector, Busisiwe Mkhwebane said in June that the investigation into the merits of leaked Gupta emails could take two years to conclude because her office has other cases dating as far back as 2011 that still needs to be investigated.
— Public Protector SA (@PublicProtector) June 14, 2017