There are some facts that are forever etched into our heads, like the fact that the human skeleton consists of 206 bones; however, there are other more interesting facts that you may not have realized you needed to know.
If you’re looking for an interesting way to while away time, here are some weird and random facts that will definitely surprise you.
1. It rains diamonds on Saturn and Jupiter.
2. In 10 minutes, a hurricane releases more energy than all the world’s nuclear weapons combined.
3. The national anthem of Greece has 158 verses.
4. A jiffy is an actual unit of time, not just an expression.
5. After publishing his famous dictionary, Noah Webster rewrote the bible, replacing all the words he considered were “naughty”.
6. Turtles were living on our planet before dinosaurs were.
7. All of the clocks in the movie ‘Pulp Fiction’ are stuck on 4:20.
8. The United States interstate highway system requires that one mile in every five be straight. These straight sections function as airstrips in times of war and other emergencies.
9. Hamsters can store half their body weight in food in their cheeks.
10. Only one person in two billion will live to be 116 or older.
11. When Pedro I became King of Portugal in the 14th century, he had his dead mistress dug up so she could be crowned queen alongside him. Many of the nobles at the coronation even kissed her hand. After the ceremony, they put her back in the box and returned her to her tomb.
12. The “pound” key on your keyboard or hashtag (#) is called an octotroph.
13. Our eyes are always the same size from birth, but our nose and ears never stop growing.
14. Cleopatra lived closer to the invention of the iPhone than she did to the building of the Great Pyramid.
15. The Pentagon has an emergency plan in case of a zombie attack.
16. Barbie’s full name is Barbara Millicent Roberts.
17. Oppositional defiant disorder is a recognized “mental disorder” for people that deliberately disobey authority figures.
18. Strawberries aren’t really berries… But avocados are.
19. Tigers have striped skin, not just striped fur.
20. In most advertisements, including newspapers, the time displayed on a watch is 10:10.
21. Humans share 50% of their DNA with bananas.
22. The female equivalent of “morning wood” is “morning dew”… yes, it’s a real thing.
23. In England, the Speaker of the House is not allowed to speak.
24. The Hulk (comic book character) was originally grey, but was changed to green because it was easier to print.
25. The Anglo-Zanzibar war of 1896 was the shortest war in history – Lasting only 45 minutes.
26. Falling coconuts kill more people every year than sharks.
27. On average, people fear spiders more than they do death.
28. Chickens with white earlobes will lay white eggs, while chickens with red earlobes lay brown eggs.
29. The name Wendy was made up for the book “Peter Pan.”
30. In the American state – Alabama, it’s illegal to wear a fake moustache that causes laughter in church
31. There are only four words in the English language which end in “dous”: tremendous, horrendous, stupendous, and hazardous.
32. The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) had to rename the sizes of the apparatus used by male astronauts to pee from ‘small, medium and large’ to ‘large, gigantic and humongous’, because no one was willing to pick their true size.
Read Also: African Proverbs You Didn’t Know You Needed
33. Women blink nearly twice as much as men.
34. Scientists accidentally killed the world’s oldest animal while trying to do research on it.
35. It’s possible to lead a cow upstairs…but not downstairs.
36. Although it’s only 2% of our body weight, the brain uses 20% of all oxygen we breathe, 20% of the calories we take in, and 15% of the body’s blood supply.
37. Mel Blanc (the voice of Bugs Bunny) was allergic to carrots.
38. The stomach has to produce a new layer of mucus every 2 weeks otherwise it will digest itself.
39. The electric chair was invented by a dentist.
40. There are no clocks in Las Vegas gambling casinos.
41. A pig’s orgasm lasts for 30 minutes.
42. A giraffe can go without water longer than a camel.
43. Crocodiles and alligators are surprisingly fast on land. Although they are rapid, they are not agile. So, if being chased by one, run in a zigzag line to lose it.
44. Studies show that if a cat falls off the seventh floor of a building, it has about thirty percent less chance of surviving than a cat that falls off the twentieth floor. It supposedly takes about eight floors for the cat to realize what is occurring, relax and correct itself.
45. 101 Dalmatians, Peter Pan, Lady and the Tramp, and Mulan are the only Disney cartoons where both parents are present and don’t die throughout the movie.
46. Ants closely resemble human manners: When they wake, they stretch & appear to yawn in a human manner before taking up the tasks of the day.
47. If one places a tiny amount of liquor on a scorpion, it will instantly go mad and sting itself to death.
48. For some time, Frederic Chopin, the composer and pianist, wore a beard on only one side of his face, explaining: “It does not matter, my audience sees only my right side.”
49. TYPEWRITER is the longest word that can be made using the letters only on one row of the keyboard.
50. Humans and dolphins are the only species that have sex for pleasure.