ANC Presidential Race: MKMVA Drops Mbalula From Preferred Candidates List

Advertisement

One week after the uMkhonto we Sizwe Military Veterans Association (MKMVA) announced their support for Fikile Mbalula as ANC’s second Deputy Secretary-general, the veterans returned to say he is no longer their preferred candidate.

The MKMVA President Kebby Maphatsoe announced the association’s decision to drop Mbalula from their list of preferred candidates.

Though no direct reasons were given for the sudden change of decision, Maphatsoe claimed when he made that statement to journalists last, the conference had not resolved on the list yet.

“The secretary general is Ace Magashule and the deputy secretary general is Comrade Jessie Duarte. The treasure general is comrade Maite Nkoana-Mashabane,

“Our proposal is to retain Jessie Duarte as a deputy secretary general and have young people, Comrade Fikile Mbalula to be the second deputy secretary general,” he said.

Read Also: ANC Western Cape Policy Conference: Everything You Missed

He denied that Mbalula’s tweets about Magashule had anything to do with his name now not being included in the list of its preferred candidates.

Mbalula has been openly critical of the MKMVA’s preferred candidate for secretary general Free State Premier Ace Magashule, saying he would destroy what’s left of the ANC.

Mblula who is the Minister of Police in the Cabinet of South Africa, a former deputy minister of police, a member of the national executive committee of the ruling African National Congress (ANC), had since supported Gauteng Premier David Makhura for the position.



His comment via his Twitter handle comes after the African National Congress Youth League (ANCYL) and the party’s uMkhonto weSizwe Military Veterans Association announced their preferred candidates for various positions in the ANC, ahead of the December National Conference.

The organisations endorsed former AU Board Chair Dlamini-Zuma to succeed Zuma as President, instead of Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa seem to be gaining much support from South Africans and ANC NEC members.

Meanwhile, Kebby Maphatsoe on Monday rubbished claims that he had forced the department of military veterans to fork out R8 million to finance the association’s fifth elective conference.

He said his organisation had proof that no one was coerced to pay for its conference held earlier this month in Ekurhuleni.

Sunday Times reported during the weekend that Maphatsoe “twisted arms” to get the department’s acting director-general, Max Ozynski, to release the R8 million in funding.

But Maphatsoe insisted MKMVA had followed procedures in requesting funding and wrote a letter to the department.

“I did not twist the DG’s hand. I don’t have executive powers to do that even … I could have been charged by now,” he told reporters in Johannesburg.

“The facts are that the Minister authorised funding for the conference.”

He said Ozynski wrote back to the MKMVA and said the decision on funding belonged with the council on defence, and not the department.

“We do not know how the council on defence comes into the affairs of military veterans, because we have a fully fledged department of military veterans established … he then suggested that the MKMVA and the military veterans minister [Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula] sit and decide on the conference funding … I have all the letters here,” said Maphatsoe.

Read Also: ANC Presidential Election: Dlamini-Zuma Begs For Mass Endorsement

He then denied allegations by the MK National Council, led by former SA National Defence Force (SANDF) General Siphiwe Nyanda, that the MKMVA conference was marred by fraudulent accreditation. The council said 60 percent of delegates were serving members of the SANDF, while others were former members of the apartheid-era defence force.

“On arrival at the conference, the delegates had to present their credentials and were duly registered in a professional manner. We reject the unsubstantiated allegations that the accreditation of delegates at our conference was flawed or fraudulent” he said.

The uMkhonto we Sizwe Military Veterans Association (MKMVA) dropped Minister Fikile Mbalula from its list of preferred candidates.

Topics: > >