Pics: Mitchells Plain Hospital Welcomes Its First Set Of Triplets


It was a memorable day at Mitchells Plain Hospital, Cape Town, on Friday, April 14, as doctors at the prestigious hospital were left buzzing with excitement after a woman was delivered of a set of triplets in the hospital.

The babies’ birth was not ordinary – at least for doctors and nurses in the hospital – as it was the first ever set of triplets in the hospital since its inception.

Read Also: Netcare 911 Finds New Born Baby In A Dustbin

A Khayelitsha mother of two, by name Dorcas Voyi, pushed out the Easter babies on Friday afternoon while others were being soaked up by activities that marked the death of Christ.

Voyi, 34, gave birth to the bundles of joy between 12:05 pm and 12:07 pm. Baby Akhona was born at 12:05 pm weighing 2.020kg, followed by Aphelele by 12:06, weighing 2.005kg and the youngest one, Aphiwe, popped by 12:07 pm, weighing 2.035kg.

Mitchells Plain Hospital celebrates triplets

In the meantime, the Easter babies are still being taken care of at the hospital while their mother has been discharged.

The Mitchells Plain Hospital was built at a cost of more than half a billion rand received and its first patients in 2013, with 11 wards and 270 beds.

The cost of erecting the hospital amounted to R533 million while R99m was spent on equipment. Construction of the hospital began in January 2010 and its completion was delayed after a fire broke out at the emergency centre last year.

See Also: Over 280 babies Were Born On new Year Day

Last year, a South African gay couple, Christo and Theo Menelaou broke a world record after the arrival of their triplets – using a surrogate mother.

The amazing part of the story is that the couple fathered the children with DNA from both of them. They were delivered prematurely at just over 31 weeks on 2 July 2016.

Joshua was the first triplet born by caesarian and was the heaviest, weighing 1.82kg (4lbs), Zoe came next, weighing 1.4kg (3.1lbs), and finally, Kate followed at just 1.3kg (2.9lbs).

The babies were later put on breathing apparatus and constantly monitored until they were considered strong enough to leave Sunninghill Hospital in Johannesburg.