South Africa’s Democratic Alliance (DA) party says Mayor Herman Mashaba has achieved significant progress in just nine months of service to the people of Johannesburg.
The DA claim follows Mayor Herman delivery of Johannesburg State of the City Address.
According to the party, Mayor Herman Mashaba’s address exemplifies its steadfast commitment to good governance, the delivery of best possible services, creating jobs and cutting out corruption.
The things the party said Mayor Herman achieved in nine months were expressed in the highlights below:
- After the City of Johannesburg, under the ANC, handed over zero title deeds in 2013/14, under Mayor Mashaba the City has handed over 2,800 titles deeds thus far, and a further 1,100 title deeds are ready to be handed over to beneficiaries. This exemplifies the DA difference.
- A newly-created Internal Investigations Unit in the City has exposed almost R2 billion in fraud and corruption. While the ANC let corruption flourish, the Mashaba administration is decisively cutting it out.
- More than 7000 Small, Medium and Micro- Sized Enterprises (SMME) were assisted by the SME Hubs over the past nine months, in order to reverse Johannesburg’s high unemployment rate. This evidences the DA’s all-out commitment to job creation.
- The extension of operating hours at more clinics across the city, to be open until 10 pm on weeknights, allowing residents access to healthcare without losing a day’s pay at work.
- The K9-Narcotics Unit has been a major success in combatting the drug-related crimes across Johannesburg, including a major drug bust in Glenvista estimated at R 9.5 million. And the Mayor’s recruitment of 1500 new officers for the JMPD is a welcome addition to keep residents in Johannesburg safe.
- An independent skills audit was initiated in order to improve service delivery. This will ensure city workers truly work for the people of the Metro.
With the above, the party upheld that the people of Johannesburg voted for change when they voted the ANC out of government in the last local government elections.
“The people’s trust is being rewarded…There is still much to do in Johannesburg, to reverse the rot of poor governance left by the ANC.
“But, there can now be no doubt that under Mayor Mashaba the City of Johannesburg is on the path to meaningful growth and development, safety and wellness, jobs and opportunities for the residents we serve,” stated the party.
Above all, DA promised that they will, with their coalition partners in Johannesburg continue to govern and work together for the betterment of all people in the metro.