Premier Phumulo Masualle and at least four mayors from two metros‚ a district municipality and a local municipality will have to answer questions on damning report about the Nelson Mandela funeral scandal.
This follows the public protector’s report released on Monday which led ANC bosses in the Eastern Cape to summon those roped in the scandal. This was revealed by ANC provincial secretary Lumala Ngcukayitobi, on the sidelines of the provincial general council (PGC) on policy at East London’s City Hall on Thursday.
Public Protector Busisiwe Mkhwebane’s report had earlier revealed‚ among other things‚ that the Eastern Cape provincial government had diverted R300-million of taxpayers’ money budgeted for social infrastructure towards preparations for Nelson Mandela’s funeral in December 2013.
After several irregularities were pointed out in the spending of the money, the Public Protector’s report fingered the provincial government headed by Masualle‚ the mayor Xola Pakati-led Buffalo City Metropolitan‚ the OR Tambo district municipality as well as the King Sabata Dalindyebo local municipality.
As a result, Masualle and the four mayors will appear before the ANC provincial executive committee (PEC) meeting scheduled for next Monday. Ngcukayitobi said this will help set the record straight on what really happened to the missing fund during the world icon’s funeral in 2013.
“That is where we will get the comprehensive response to the Nelson Mandela funeral scandal. Premier Masualle will be part of that meeting so he can give us his perspective‚” said Ngcukayitobi.
In his response to questions around the report that Public Protector Busisiwe Mkhwebane released on Monday, Masualle said the money deposited in his personal bank account during the preparations of late former president Nelson Mandela’s funeral has all been accounted for. According to him, he has done nothing wrong.