Deeper into the alleged state capture, latest report says the Gupta Family allegedly offered deputy finance minister Mcebisi Jonas, Mcebisi R600,000 in cash the day he was offered the job of finance minister.
According to the report, Ajay Guptas offered Jonas a black plastic bag full of raw cash on the day he gave him the job assuring him of an additional R600-million, to be paid in installments if he agreed to “work with us”.
This claim by sources close to the deputy finance minister is believed to be contained in his affidavit submitted to former public protector Thuli Madonsela as evidence during her state capture investigation.
According to the sources, Deputy Minister Mcebisi Jonas explained the so-called “work with us” to mean that he was expected to push for the approval of the nuclear procurement programme, estimated to be worth R1-trillion, and fire some National Treasury officials who were critical of the programme.The report further noted that Jonas made mention of officials such as director-general Lungisa Fuzile, his deputies Ismail Momoniat and Andrew Donaldson, and chief procurement officer Kenneth Brown who are linked to the case.
The report further noted that Jonas made mention of officials such as director-general Lungisa Fuzile, his deputies Ismail Momoniat and Andrew Donaldson, and chief procurement officer Kenneth Brown who are linked to the case.
Jonas had earlier revealed that a member of the Gupta family had offered him then finance minister Nhlanhla Nene’s job during their meeting in Saxonwold on October 23 last year, which was also weeks before Zuma fired the then finance minister, Nhlanhla Musa Nene.
Also in his affidavit, Deputy Minister Mcebisi Jonas allegedly added that the Guptas made the offers in the presence of President Jacob Zuma’s son Duduzane and businessman Fana Hlongwane and Sunday Times confirmed that Jonas called Nene a while after meeting with the Guptas, telling him that he had been offered his job.
Meanwhile, Gupta lawyer Gert van der Merwe said at the weekend that he was in possession of Jonas’s affidavit after requesting a copy during a meeting with Madonsela.
He, however, denied allegations that his client had been in such a meeting with Deputy Minister Mcebisi Jonas, and said he “has never offered the deputy finance minister anything”.
“I have a complete and comprehensive version of what happened when the deputy minister was at the Gupta compound and this version can be corroborated by witnesses who are willing to testify under oath on the contrary to Jonas’s version,” Van der Merwe said.
Approached for comment on the matter, Businessman Fana Hlongwane said he had told Madonsela “everything about the meeting, under oath”. He declined to comment further.