The African National Congress (ANC) in the eThekwini region has slammed rumour-mongers for alleging the municipality spent a whopping R6m during matric vigil.
ANC eThekwini regional secretary Bheki Ntuli, who weighed in on the matter on Friday expressed shock and disappointment with the news which made rounds earlier this week.
On Thursday, social media users criticized eThekwini region after reports emerged that it held a vigil dubbed “Umlindelo wePhepha” at Gugu Dlamini Park near The Workshop to wait for matric results.
The party was said to have been attended by some of Durban’s famous artists like T’zozo, Babo and Sgwili and that it cost the region R6m – though others said it was R2m.
Refuting the claims in a statement, the region’s Ntuli said the municipality only spent R750,000 and not R6m.
“The ANC in the eThekwini Region would like to state categorically clear that the amount of money being bandied in the media is false. It is not R6 million or R2 million which was spent there.
“The money spent by the municipality to support the program, we have been advised its R750,000. This was partly for the security and well-being of pupils from around the city who were waiting for their results.”
The spokesperson emphasized that the vigil “Umlindelo wePhepha” was an individual’s initiative and has been taking place for the last five years.
“eThekwini Municipality was only approached to assist because the initiative was being taken to a central area where more pupils would be able to attend,” the statement added.
In the wake of the report, DA provincial leader in KwaZulu-Natal, Zwakele Mncwango, condemned the municipality for the matric vigil. The leader asserted that the money could have been used to fund students rather than lavishing it on frivolities.
“I always argue that instead of wasting public funds on such events, rather the municipality assist poor students with university fees,” Mncwango said at the time.