The Democratic Alliance (DA) in Nelson Mandela Bay has recommended that one of its Councillors Nico du Plessis be suspended from all party activities after being found guilty of misusing money from a discretionary fund. Also, the party’s provincial disciplinary committee chairperson, Kevin Mileham said the committee recommended that his membership be terminated.
Reports said that the party’s disciplinary committee sat on Monday at the DA’s provincial offices in Port Elizabeth. The committee ruled that Nico du Plessis had been using money fraudulently from an account designated for Helenvale residents since last year.
Furthermore, in a statement, the Democratic Alliance (DA) said the panel recommended that Nico du Plessis be stripped of all party offices for 18 months.
The statement released by the party said:
“Du Plessis pleaded guilty to the charges relating to improperly sourcing funding for ward projects from the Councillor’s Discretionary Fund by failing to follow proper procedure.”
However, the Councillor pleaded not guilty on a charge of misconduct and bringing the party into ignominy.
“He pleaded not guilty to the charge of bringing the good name of the Party into disrepute, or harming the reputation of the Party, or acting in a manner that is unreasonable and detrimental to internal co-operation within the Party,” the statement said.
Meanwhile, the party said the sanction recommended by the party’s panel would be considered by its Provincial Executive Committee in two weeks time.
Recently, the Democratic Alliance has been going through some hitches. Yesterday, the party’s justice spokesperson Glynnis Breytenbach appeared in Pretoria magistrate Court. Breytenbach was a former prosecutor with the National Prosecuting Authority. She was charged for defeating the ends of justice in terms of section 40 (d) of the NPA Act. The charges were brought against her last Friday.
That not withstanding, Nelson Mandela Bay Democratic Alliance’s mayoral candidate has promised to address the needs of the metro during today’s debate on the State of the Nation Address. The debate will kick off today in the National Assembly.
The metro DA mayoral candidate Athol Trollip‚ boasted that he would persuade the ruling party to realize the “ongoing neglect of this beautiful part of South Africa [Nelson Mandela Bay].”
Trollip, was excited that he “will be the second speaker for the DA‚ after federal leader‚ Mmusi Maimane”. He however said that he would help cushion the metro’s challenges during the debate.
“In last Thursday’s State of the Nation Address‚ President (Jacob) Zuma provided no hope to the 8.3-million jobless South Africans‚ and neglected to account for his government’s failure to create jobs and grow the economy.”
“In all of Trollip’s interactions with thousands of residents of the Eastern Cape‚ and particularly Nelson Mandela Bay‚ the call is clear: Jobs are desperately needed‚ crime must be combated and services must be delivered”
“Yet President Zuma said nothing that will give our people any hope of jobs‚ safety and services,” a statement said.