The ANC youth League in Eastern Cape has slammed growing reports and speculations that Social Development minister Bathabile Dlamini might be axed for the social grants crisis.
The League’s provincial task team (PTT) has insisted that calls for the minister to be dismissed are “opportunistic and premature”.
PTT convenor Mziwonke Ndabeni at a press briefing held at the party’s provincial headquarters – Calata House in King William’s Town said if Dlamini must go, then Higher Education Minister Blade Nzimade must follow suit.
Apparently, Ndabeni’s comments are a counter-attack on Minister Blade, who recently charged President Zuma in a bilateral meeting with the ANC, to fire the controversial minister for the social grants debacle.
SACP president Blade left the governing ANC with two options – to revoke the Guptas’ citizenship, kick former Eskom CEO Brian Molefe out of Parliament, denounce the so-called premier league faction, and investigate Sassa for social grant debacle, or the party would kick off a campaign for Zuma to step down.
Ndabeni asserted that Blade is to blame for the FeesMustFall crisis that crippled the educational sector in the country.
“There’s crisis at higher education as we all know but nobody has said Blade Nzimande must resign.
Therefore we view calls for comrade Bathabile Dlamini [to resign] as an attack on the ANC Women’s League which she is the president of and the position they are pushing for – a female president [come the ANC conference in December].”
Last week, the Constitutional court ruled that minister Dlamini Bathabile is to blame for the crisis that has rocked the department since last month.
The court also ruled that the executive had failed in its constitutional duty and ordered Bathabile to explain to the court why she should not pay the costs of the application from her own pocket – she has until March 31 to do so
In addition, the court ordered that the contract between Cash Paymaster Services (CPS) and the South African Social Security Agency (Sassa) be extended for 12 months‚ under stringent conditions.
It also ruled that the declaration of invalidity of the previous CPS contract be further suspended for a year and ordered Dlamini and Sassa to file affidavits every three months, mapping out how they plan to ensure that grants are paid when the CPS contract expires next year.