Nomzamo Mbatha (born 13th July 1990) is a 33-year-old South African actress, television personality, businesswoman, accountant and human rights activist who gained public attention for her role as Moratiwa, in the movie Tell Me Something Sweet (2015).
Every celebrity has a unique story, one which plays out prominently in the success that they currently enjoy. For the South African star Nomzamo Mbatha, hers could be traced back to her appearance on the MTV show, MTV Base VJ Search. Notably, she was one of the three finalists in the 2012 edition of the show. And since then, she has gone on to forge a career as an actress, television personality, and model.
As an actress, Mbatha has appeared in many local films. She made her acting debut when she scored a role in the 2013 Mzansi Magic soapie, IsiBaya. She rose to prominence following her role as Moratiwa, in the 2015 romantic comedy movie Tell Me Something Sweet.
Asides from acting and her various stints on TV, Nomzamo Mbatha is also a talented businesswoman, as well as a human rights activist. She has been working as the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) Ambassador. Learn all you need to know about the budding South African actress in the following paragraphs.
Summary of Nomzamo Mbatha’s Biography
- Full name: Nomzamo Nonzwakazi Nxumalo Mbatha
- Gender: Female
- Date of birth: 13th day of July 1990
- Birthplace: KwaMashu, South Africa
- Nomzamo Mbatha’s Age: 33 years old
- Ethnicity: Black
- Nationality: South-African
- Zodiac Sign: Cancer
- Marital Status: Single
- Nomzamo Mbatha’s Parents: Skuta Nxumalo (father) and Manakutu Mbata (mother)
- Siblings: Zamani Mbatha (brother)
- Education: Bechet High School, University of South Africa
- Career: actress, model, accountant, human rights activist and entrepreneur
- Nomzamo Mbatha’s Height in Inches: 5 feet 2 inches
- Nomzamo Mbatha’s Height in Metres: 1.58 m
- Nomzamo Mbatha’s Weight: 56 kg (125 lbs.)
- Body measurements in inches: 34-24-35
- Bodytype: Slim
- Hair Color: Black
- Eye Color: Brown
- Shoe Size: 7.5 US
- Dress Size: 6 US
- Famous for: being one of OkayAfrica 100 Women 2018 Honorees, her acting roles, and being a UNHCR ambassador
- Nomzamo Mbatha’s Instagram: @nomzamo_m
- Twitter: @NomzamoMbatha
Who Exactly is Nomzamo Mbatha and What Is Her Age?
Currently aged 33 years old and although she has come to be known as Momzamo Mbatha, it was as Nomzamo Nonzwakazi Nxumalo Mbatha that the actress was born on the 13th day of July 1990. She is a native KwaMashu Township, located in the north-west of the city of Durban, in KwaZulu-Natal province of South Africa. Growing up in KwaMashu, Mbatha spent her early years with her parents and siblings.
For her education, Nomzamo attended Bechet High School in Durban and after her graduation, she proceeded to the University of Cape Town and later, the University of South Africa to further her studies. She graduated in 2018, with a bachelor’s degree in Commerce and a major in Accounting.
Mbatha admitted that she never thought she was beautiful while growing up. At the time, she said she considered herself very ugly but that she didn’t allow that to stop her from giving her dreams and inspirations a chase. It was in 2012 that the MTN Base VJ Search turned the spotlight on Mbatha’s theatrical talent and prowess, which paved way for her selection as one of the three finalists of the show
Although she didn’t win the MTV Base VJ Search, the show gave birth to the popularity she’s enjoying today. Always ready for what life brings her way, Mbatha is respected in the movie industry for often taking up challenging roles on set.
Meet Nomzamo Mbatha’s Family and Boyfriend
Like we earlier mentioned, Nomzamo Mbatha was born to South African parents -Manatuku Nxumalo (mother) and Skuta Nxumalo (father). Her mother worked as a teacher while nothing much is known about her father’s occupation. However, her father was said to have died in 2007. Meanwhile, Nomzamo isn’t the only child of her parents. She grew up along with her siblings – two sisters named Carla and Wendy, as well as a brother, Zamani.
Just like Nomzamo, two of her siblings – Zamani and Wendy have also established themselves in the South African entertainment industry. Zamani is best known for his role in the soap opera, Isithembiso, while Wendy is known for District 9 (2009). Sadly, she lost her sister Carla, who committed suicide in 2014.
The actress has been in a relationship with media personality Maps Maponyane. The pair has been together for over three years and counting. Asking if Mbatha is excited and happy in the relationship is needless because she has never shied away from showing off her superman, who she describes as ‘incredible and hot’.
Maponyane is also in the entertainment industry, he has starred in several films including Tell Me Something Sweet. Asides acting, Mbatha’s beau also banks as a television presenter, fashion designer, speaker, model, creative and voice-over artist, philanthropist, and business entrepreneur.
Details of Her Professional Career
Soon after the competition ended, Nomzamo Mbatha kicked off her acting career. She made her first film appearance, playing the role of Thandeka Zungu in the 2013 Mzansi Magic soapie, IsiBaya. Isibaya is a drama series set on the backdrop of the taxi industry, with two young lovers who are torn apart by a century-old feud between two powerful families. From a valley long divided by too little resources, the bitter feud continues in Egoli.
Two years later, she starred as Moratiwa in Tell Me Something Sweet, as well as Umlilo. Later in the same year, she started hosting a travel reality TV show called Holiday Swap, which aired on South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC). Following her brilliant performances, the actress has continued to endear herself to her many fans. She also starred in The Jakes Are Missing (2015) and in 2017, she featured in All About Love.
Her other television appearances include Lip Sync Battle Africa, The Bantu Hour, The Close Up, and The Comedy Central Roast. She has also hosted the MTV African Music Awards, The South African Movie and Television Awards, and The South African Music Awards, etc.
Nomzamo Mbatha has also recorded a few awards in her name. Some of these include Rising Star of the Year – Drums Darlings Awards (2013); Hot Chick of the Year – Feather Awards; and KOKO Magazine Woman of The Year (2017).
Quick Facts about Nomzamo Mbatha
1. Nomzamo Mbatha was raised in KwaMashu by her grandmother
2. She is currently a L’Oreal Paris hair advocate, an ambassador for both Puma Audi and South Africa, as well as the face of Neutrogena.
3. She was the host of the 2017 Essence Festival Durban.
4. Mbatha is an HIV/AIDs activist. She broke the internet sometime in July 2017, after she graced the Marie Claire South Africa naked issue to raise funds for Baphumelele Children’s Home, a home for AIDS orphans Khayelitsha, in Cape Town.
5. As a die-hard fan of African designs, Mbatha always dons African designs on international red carpets, a decision she took to promote South African designers.
6. She had a broken engagement with Khaya Mthethwa, a popular South African singer-songwriter, arranger, multi-instrumentalist, composer, and musician. She also had a failed relationship with actress Jessica Nkosi.