The University of Venda, popularly known as UNIVEN is a rural-based public university in South Africa. The institution was established in 1982 to serve the inhabitants of the Venda bantustan, nevertheless, students from all over the Northern Transvaal attended the institution. Following the education reform in the new millennium, at the end of the apartheid era and the re-integration of bantustans into South Africa, the school went on to become a comprehensive university in 2002.
It offers a wide range of academic, professional, and career-focused programmes; both on the undergraduate and postgraduate levels. With its main campus located in the Limpopo Province of South Africa, the University of Venda has witnessed major growth and tremendous improvements, since its inception in 1982. Towards the 1990s, the university achieved a milestone in the diversity of its staff, not just getting some of the best locally, but also internationally.
Today, the University of Venda has become major asset to the educational growth and empowerment of the country. Through its niche on project-based curriculum, UNIVEN has been able to maintain a record of nurturing under-prepared students and transforming them into nationally competitive graduates.
University Of Venda Online Application – Step By Step Guide
To apply for admission at the University of Venda, there are two different methods you can use. The first method is to apply online (for South Africans), while the second is by using the traditional method by simply going online to the university’s official website (www.univen.ac.za) and downloading the application form (for International Students).
If you want to apply online, you must follow the steps below:
1. Only South African undergraduate applicants are to apply using the online application wizard.
2. To apply online, you should be having a South African Identity number, cell phone number, and an e-mail address.
3. During the online application process, you may save and return at a later stage to complete the application.
4. After online submission of the application, R100-00 (one hundred rands only) non-refundable application fee must be paid at Absa bank account no. 1000 000 589 and write your computer-generated student number as a reference.
5. A copy of the I.D. document; Testimonial, Grade 11 report; and proof of payment (i.e. all documents in PDF format) must be uploaded online.
6. After successful submission and completion of your online application, you can log into My access page to access/view your application details.
For International Students
All international (Non-South Africans) applicants, including those applying for postgraduate studies, are to go online to the university’s official website (www.univen.ac.za) and download the application form. After filling the form, you are to submit the paper applications to:
University of Venda
Private Bag x5050
NB: If you encounter any challenges or want to make further enquiries, you can contact the Chief Admissions Officer, Seth Ugoda via email: [email protected] or Tel: +2715 962 8882 / +2715 962 8953 / +2715 962 8954 / +2715 962 8983.
University Of Venda Faculties and Courses
The institution has eight schools/faculties which offer a variety of programmes in different classifications of educational subject matter category. These schools include the following:
1. School of Agriculture
The School of Agriculture offers programmes in classifications of educational subject matter categories between 1 and 10. These are in areas of Agricultural Economics and Extension, Family Ecology and Consumer Sciences, Food Science and Technology.
2. School of Education
This school offers programmes in classifications of educational subject matter category 7. Here, teachers are trained for the foundation and secondary phases and also practicing teachers can upgrade their qualifications via postgraduate certificate programmes.
3. School of Environmental Sciences
The school offers programmes in classifications of educational subject matter categories 2 and 8. These include programmes in the following field of study: Environmental Sciences, Environmental Management, Earth Sciences, Hydrology, Water Resources, Mining, and Environmental Geology.
4. School of Health Sciences
The School of Health Sciences offers programmes in Nursing Science, Public Health, Nutrition, Psychology, Biokinetics, Recreation, and Leisure Studies.
5. School of Human and Social Sciences
The school offers programmes including Communication and Applied Language Studies, Development Studies, English, International Relations, African Languages, Gender, and Youth Studies and Social Work.
6. School of Law
This school offers programmes in classifications of educational subject matter category 12. These are in Criminal Justice and Law.
7. School of Management Sciences
The school offers programmes in classifications of educational subject matter categories 4, 6 and 19. These are in Accounting and Auditing, Business Information Systems, Business Management, Economics, Human Resources Management, Public Management, Tourism, and Hospitality Management.
8. School of Mathematical and Natural Sciences
The School offers programmes in classifications of educational subject matter categories 6, 13, 14 and 15 in Life Sciences, Physical Sciences, Mathematics, and Statistics.
Other Interesting Facts About the Institution
1. Admission policy and acceptance rate may vary depending on the areas of study, degree level, student nationality or residence, and other criteria.
2. The highest structure of governance of the University is the Council and it draws its members from both internal and external stakeholders.
3. The institution has one main Campus in Thohoyandou, Limpopo, which houses all the faculties in the school. The campus also houses the Art Gallery, a full-time Sports Center that is used for indoor sports, as well as other recreational activities such as drama and dance.
4. Nine of the eleven official residences namely- Bernard Ncube, Carousel, F3, F4, F5, Lost City Boys, Lost City Girls, Mango Groove, Riverside, and Prefab- are situated in the main campus.
5. The University Of Venda is affiliated with the Association of African Universities (AAU) and Universities South Africa (USA).
6. The University is on different social media platforms including Facebook (for social networking), Twitter (for micro-blogging and news updates) YouTube or Vimeo, Instagram (for photo galleries) and LinkedIn (for business and academic networking), etc.