Since 2020, the Department of Basic Education opens applications for phases of the Presidential Youth Employment Initiative (PYEI). As hundreds of thousands of job opportunities; teacher assistant and general school assistant work, are created for SA youth between the ages of 18 and 34, the application is mainly done online.
Every year, South African youths are requested to apply for teacher assistant and general school assistant job opportunities as the employment initiative is coupled with training. Applicants need to reside within a radius of 5km from the school they are applying for, and walk-in submission of application forms to the school is prohibited. The application can only be carried out online, and it involves simple and easy steps.
SA Youth Teacher Assistant Application Form
The application form for the Basic Education Employment Initiative’s teacher assistant job for the SA youth is made available on the mobile website, https://sayouth.datafree.co/p/dbe. The zero-rated website ensures that applicants spend little to no money on the application process and submission.
During phase 4 of the Presidential Youth Employment Initiative, 255,000 short-term positions were offered to young people to apply, and the teacher assistant and general school assistant opportunities were categorized as follows:
- Education Assistant – ICT/e-Cadres
- Education Assistant – Reading Champions
- Education Assistant – Curriculum
- General School Assistant – Child & Youth Care Worker
- General School Assistant – Sports and Enrichment Agent (no matric required)
- General School Assistant – Handyman (no matric is required)
Phase IV of the Presidential Youth Employment Initiative in the Basic Education Sector resumes tomorrow #PYEI @dbetvnews @ElijahMhlanga @Angie_Motshekga @HubertMweli @ReginahMhaule pic.twitter.com/CgotQ38U2a
— Dep. Basic Education (@DBE_SA) January 31, 2023
What Do I Need to Apply for SA Youth Teacher Assistant?
To ensure that the challenges of youth unemployment are meaningfully addressed nationally, the highest form of qualification needed to apply for the SA youth teacher assistant job is Matric. However, general school assistant jobs for handymen and sports and enrichment agents do not require Matric. It’s worth noting that additional qualifications may facilitate applicants’ chances of securing the job.
The requirements are:
- General School Assistants (up to the age of 35) with or without an NQF 4 (Matric ) qualification
- Education Assistants (between the ages of 18 and 35) with a minimum of NQF 4 (Matric) qualification
- ID document
- Postal code and address to match the applicant with the school closest to them
SA Youth Teacher Assistant Online Application Process
The PYEI-BEEI employment initiative has created over 830,000 job opportunities since its commencement. And the application for the SA youth teacher assistant job usually kicks off in the last quarter of the year, lasting for three weeks. As mentioned earlier, the application can be completed at https://sayouth.datafree.co/p/dbe. And the guidelines on how to apply are listed below:
- STEP 1: Log in to the sayouth.mobi website.
- STEP 2: Register an account.
- STEP 3: Log in with your username or RSA ID number and password.
- STEP 4: Select the province in which you reside.
- STEP 5: Fill in the required fields with your personal particulars and ensure that all information is correct, especially your contact number.
- STEP 6: Search for the schools closest to you in the search bar or type education assistant in the search bar.
- STEP 7: A list of the schools available in your province will pop up along with the opportunity card for the schools. Ensure you apply at schools that are within 5km from where you reside or 30km if you are applying for farm schools.
- STEP 8: To see further details about the job, click on ‘Read More’.
- STEP 9: Click ‘Apply Now’ when you are done reading.
- STEP 10: Follow the prompts and submit the relevant information to complete the application.
- STEP 11: A confirmation message will be sent to you that your application was successful.
The application period for Phase IV of the Presidential Youth Employment Initiative in the Basic Education Sector opens on 26 September 2022.
— Dep. Basic Education (@DBE_SA) September 5, 2022
NOTE: Once an applicant gets notification of being shortlisted, he or she must submit the following documents:
- Certified copy of identity document/passport
- Testimonials (from former school, church leader, local chief, etc)
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Certified qualifications such as Matric (where applicable: NQF Level 4 qualification, and Education Assistant applicants with NQF Level 6 and 7 have an added advantage)
- Police clearance certificates
- Affidavit stating that the applicant has no criminal record while awaiting the police clearance
Regarding any issues or queries about the SA youth teacher assistant application process, potential candidates may contact:
- SA Youth on 0800727272, or
- TeacherConnect on 060 060 33 33
Who is Qualified for the SA Youth Teacher Assistant and School Assistant Job?
Though specifically created for South African youth, the Presidential Youth Employment Initiative has criteria that must be met for one to be eligible for the application. Hence, an applicant has to meet the following:
- Must be a South African citizen with a valid RSA ID book, card, passport, or work permit
- Must be between the ages of 18 and 35
- Must meet the requirements for the positions they are interested to apply for
- Must be unemployed
- Does not receive wages, salary, or stipend
- Does not have a criminal record
- Must reside 5km away from the school they choose to apply for
- Must not be involved in tutorship and should not be a part-time or full-time student in any institution
- Must not be a beneficiary of any government grant
- Only one applicant can be considered from any household
- An applicant should not be unfairly advantaged by collaboration with any staff member at the school of choice
Are you currently employed under Phase 4 of the Presidential Youth Employment Initiative in the Basic Education sector? Join us for our first episode of the #PYEI webinar series today at 13:00.
— Dep. Basic Education (@DBE_SA) February 28, 2023
PYEI-BEEI Teacher Assistant Stipend
Since the beginning of the Presidential Youth Employment Initiative, the stipends differ with each phase. During phase 3, SA youth teacher assistants were paid R3,817 per month (less 1% UIF contribution of R38). The contract work lasted for five months, and those employed earned, in total, R19,085.
Then following the commencement of Phase IV, it was announced that successful candidates would be paid R4,081.44 per month less 1% of UIF contribution. Also, they will be placed in schools for five months. Besides providing a short-term source of income for unemployed youths, the initiative was aimed to provide successful candidates with adequate training that will get them equipped to secure a job in the education sector.
How to Prepare Your CV for a Teacher Assistant Job
In order to have an edge over other candidates competing for the same teaching assistant job position, an applicant needs to create an excellent Curriculum Vitae (CV). And the steps listed below will help you draft an impressive teacher assistant CV.
STEP I: Begin with your personal details and contact information at the top of your CV.
STEP II: Add a professional summary or career objective statement that highlights your skills, achievements, and goals.
STEP III: Describe your work experience in a manner that will accurately elaborate your skills for the job.
STEP IV: Add your educational qualifications and training.
STEP V: Highlight your skills and achievements towards the end of your CV.
STEP VI: You can also add a short section that lists all your awards, career achievements, and successes (optional).
Required skills for a teacher assistant include:
- Lesson planning
- Strong interpersonal and leadership qualities
- Time management and organization
- Excellent communication
- Creativity and innovation