Pam Golding was a South African real estate developer best remembered for being the founder of one of the largest real estate groups in South Africa- Pam Golding Properties.
There are just a few South African women who keep their heads up high in a society largely controlled by men. Among them was Pamela Golding, popularly known as Pam Golding.
Surviving and thriving in a practically patriarchal society is usually one of the greatest challenges of most women who want to be financially successful. Thanks to the new era, where women are given little opportunities to become successful in life. The likes of Pam Golding are now a source of inspiration for other women across the globe.
Summary of Pam Golding’s Biography
- Full name:Pamela Golding
- Nickname: Pam Golding
- Gender: Female
- Date of birth: September 12, 1928
- Place of Birth: Cape Town, South Africa
- Died: April 3, 2018, Constantia
- Place of Death: Cape Town, South Africa
- Ethnicity: White
- Nationality: South African
- Zodiac Sign: Virgo
- Sexual Orientation: Straight
- Marital Status: Married
- Pam Golding’s Husband: Cecil Golding (m. ?–2018)
- Pam Golding’s Children: 3
- Famous for: Founding one of the largest real estate groups in South Africa- Pam Golding Properties
- Pam Golding’s Instagram: pamgoldinggroup
Who is Pam Golding?
The lady was a South African property and real estate developer and one of the most well known real estate icons around Southern Africa. She was the founder and chairperson of the Pam Golding Property Group.
Pamela was born on August 23, 1935 (age 87 ) in Cape Town, she was married and had three children.
Graduating from the University of Cape Town with a Bachelor of Arts degree, Pam ventured into property business when she identified the need for a discreet and professional agency within the South African real estate market.
She was named one of the members with experience in the property and real estate industry among which is the Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa, Franklin Sonn, a non-Executive Director of Esorfrani Limited among many others.
Pam Golding was without a doubt our best known real estate mogul. She founded Pam Golding Properties in 1976, with almost zero capital to her name. Apparently, her 2010 turnover was set at a whopping R11 billion rand.
When asked why she chose to embark on real estate business, Golding related that the idea came to her in the early days of her marriage to Cecil, her husband. The couple had only two kids then and had just bought their first house. With the family barely surviving, people discouraged Pam from starting a business in the market. Nonetheless, she said to herself: “…If I can survive in this market, business will fly when things improve.”
Read Also: 6 Lifestyle Changes To Save You Money
Denying the challenges she faced in fitting into the patriarchal society, Golding said she never allowed herself to be swallowed by the male-dominated world. She insisted that she always felt welcome, always sensed doors were open.
With many properties available, and top class property services, Pam Golding became one of the most prestigious real estate agents in South Africa and abroad.
She was a specialist in the top-class real estate, almost right around the world. Her real estate property group comprises Pam Golding International Holdings, Pam Golding Properties, Pam Golding Ltd (London), Pam Golding Franchise Services, Golding Commercial, Golding Hotel Investment Consultants, and Golding Property Holdings.
Her company has offices in South Africa, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Namibia, London, Germany, Mauritius, Spain, France, Holland and Croatia.
Pam Golding Property Group: What The Company Does
The Pam Golding Property group forms part of a strategic alliance with one of the world’s largest property groups, Savills plc, gaining access to its prestigious network of over 600 offices worldwide. Through this partnership and other associations, including Homecoming Revolution and Southern Africa Luxury Association, the property group is uniquely equipped to provide prospective buyers and sellers with a comprehensive range of professional property services.
“We like to believe that we understand the personal nuances that are integral to concluding successful property transactions and which serve to provide our clients with the necessary professionalism and care which they deserve. Ultimately, they need to feel like they have enjoyed a unique property experience with us. This is a fundamental commitment to those who entrust us with their property needs.” explained Dr Andrew Golding, Chief Executive
The group offers:
- Residential sales,
- Residential Letting
- Development Services
- Bank Assisted Sales
- Commercial Services
- Property Management Services
- Pam Golding Hospitality
- Pam Golding Training Academy
Pam Golding Property Franchise Services
This ensures that franchisees are aligned with the group’s corporate culture and service charter of professionalism, integrity and trust and are able to deliver service excellence in real estate.
The Pam Golding Properties franchise network was launched in 1993 and it currently comprises of over 200 offices with a strong presence in KwaZulu-Natal, the Eastern Cape, Garden Route, Mpumalanga, the Free State, Limpopo and North West Province.
Through the Franchise office network, the group has already extended to many African countries including Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Kenya, Mozambique and Swaziland.
Franchise offer includes:
- Specialist service divisions support the Pam Golding Properties network of corporate and franchise offices.
- The PGP Training Academy provides real estate training in accordance with the franchise agreement and, additionally via the group’s internal online training platform.
- A dedicated marketing division at national and regional level facilitates the provision of material across both print and digital platforms.
- Bespoke intranet and CRM systems provide office administration, agent and client management tools.
Achievements and Awards
Over the years Pam Golding was been honoured for her leadership skills and personal achievements with an impressive array of national and international awards – presented by her peers and the business sector. These awards include:
- Business Against Crime WC – Achiever of The Year Award 2009
- Ernst & Young World Entrepreneur Awards – Lifetime Achievement Award (2009)
- Honorary Degree of Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Business Administration from the Walter Sisulu University (2009)
- Honorary Life Member of the Institute of Estate Agents of South Africa (2008)
- Provincial Honours Award in the Category: Officer – for her contribution to the economic development of the Western Cape and in acknowledged of her involvement in empowering women in business. (2007)
- Cape Times/KPMG Business Personality of the Year (2003)
- Die Burger & Kaapstad Sakekamer Sakeleier van die Jaar – (Translated as Business Leader of the Afrikaans Chamber of Commerce) – the first and only woman to have received this prestigious award (2001)
- The Star Group – One of the Leading 50 Women Entrepreneurs of the World (1998)
- BWA Executive Women’s Club Businesswoman of the Year (1996)
- Previously a member of The Women’s Leadership Board at the John F Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University
- International Women’s Forum
- Desmond Tutu Peace Trust Board Member
- University of Pretoria Business Clinic Pioneer Entrepreneur.