Fauzia Mubarak Ali is Cat Stevens’ wife, and a human rights activist, and founder of the Human Rights Advocates Association (HRAA), a platform that works towards influencing people, in general, to see that social justice becomes a regular occurrence in Pakistan. However, she came into the public’s consciousness following her marriage to popular folk music legend Cat Stevens.
Fauzia Mubarak Ali got married to Cat Stevens in 1979. Together, they have six children, they are Yoriyos, Maymanah Islam, Abd al-Ahad Islam, Asmaa Islam, Aminah Islam and Hasanah Islam.
Fauzia Mubarak Ali Grew Up in Pakistan
Fauzia Mubarak Ali was born on March 24, 1958, in Karachi, Pakistan. Not much information is available regarding her parents’ identity. It is also not clear if she has any living siblings. Fauzia was born an Arab and spent most of her early childhood years with her family in her birthplace and hometown, Karachi, Pakistan. Details of her educational background before university are also not public knowledge.
She had her college education at Kinnaird College for Women, which is located in Lahore, Pakistan. After the regulation college time, she graduated with a bachelor’ Degree in Urdu Literature. In a bid to learn more about what life and other cultures look like beyond her home country, Fauzia left Pakistan for the United States of America. The early years of her time in the US were spent getting a Masters’ Degree in Comparative Literature from Columbia University.
How Fauzia Mubarak Became Cat Stevens’ Wife
Arranged marriages are quite common in the Muslim world in general, and so many sources have claimed that it was Cat Stevens’ mother who chose Fauzia for him. However, the music icon has debunked those assertions on his website, stating that he merely presented different women to his mother and sought her opinion on each woman.
The ultimate decision was his, and he eventually chose Fauzia Mubarak Ali as his wife. On September 7, 1979, Fauzia and her husband, Cat, tied the knot at the Regent’s Park Mosque in London. At the time, Cat Stevens had just established some Muslim schools in London, and Fauzia built a home with her husband there. They still spend a substantial amount of time in Dubai yearly.
Fauzia Mubarak Ali is Nearly 10 Years Younger Than Her Husband
Fauzia Mubarak Ali was born almost 10 years after her husband, Cat Stevens. Stevens, who sometimes prefers to be addressed as Yusuf Islam, was born on July 21, 1948. The 10-year-age difference clearly didn’t make much of a difference to the couple who have gone on to spend more than four wonderful decades together.
Fauzia’s relationship history doesn’t reveal any past lovers, but her husband, Cat, had been in several other relationships before meeting her. At some point, he dated Carly Simon (briefly from 1970 -1971), Linda Lewis (1970 -1971), and Patti D’arbanville (1968 – 1970).
The closest he ever got to marriage was when he dated Louise Wightman from 1976 – 1979. In fact, they were briefly engaged in 1979 before he made the ultimate decision to wed Fauzia instead.
She Has Five Children With Music Legend, Cat Stevens
The union initially produced 6 children – 4 girls and 2 boys. Unfortunately, they lost one of their boys as an infant. The couple, who have been married for more than four decades, is blessed with five living children and nine grandchildren.
Fauzia Mubarak Ali Runs A Charity Organization With Her Husband
Fauzia Mubarak Ali’s marriage to the more illustrious husband didn’t completely remove the passion for causing significant change around her environment. Given that she left the US in the wake of the September 11, 2001, terrorist attack on US soil, Fauzia was more determined than ever to stem the tide of terrorism.
To achieve this, she and her husband, Cat, co-founded a charity organization called Small Kindness Charity. The primary goal of this charity is to combat terrorism and its effects. Her husband uses his songs while Fauzia focuses on fighting for the rights of women in her home country as well as promoting the benefits of education both at home and in the UK.
Details of her personal life away from her work in Charity and as a human rights activist are not public knowledge. With no Instagram page or social media handle, Fauzia Mubarak Ali evidently prefers to keep her personal affairs private.
Fauzia Mubarak Ali and Stevens Are Practicing Muslims
Fauzia Mubarak Ali is a follower of the teachings of the prophet Mohammed. She was born into a Muslim family, and her dedication and faith in Islam as the one true religion have not wavered. It would be easy for anyone to assume that she played an important role in Cat Stevens’ conversion to Islam. This assumption, however, couldn’t be further from the truth, given that Cat was already practicing Islam before ever meeting Fauzia.
The story of Stevens’ conversion to Islam is a unique one when placed in the context of his earlier life choices. The fame and success he garnered from his early music career drove him to begin living the big life, which involved many parties. At a point in his life, depression set in, and he began to drink excessively to escape the harsh realities he was experiencing.
A few years down the line in 1968, Stevens’ spent three months in the hospital where he was treated for tuberculosis. While swimming at Malibu beach in 1975, Stevens’ near-drowning experience forced a change in his lifestyle. While he was struggling for breath in the water, he made a pious vow to serve God if he was saved from the experience.
His prayers were answered, and his life was spared. Following that experience, Stevens started seeking ways to get closer to God. He didn’t have to search far or long because his older brother, who had just returned from Jerusalem, gifted him a copy of the Quran.
Two years later, he publicly came forward to declare his newfound faith in Islam and end his recording of secular music. He changed his name to ‘Yusuf Islam’ and has since practiced Islam. Although his wife, Fauzia Mubarak Ali, had nothing to do with his conversion, she has played a vital role, as his wife, in making sure that he has stayed converted.
She is also an Advocate of Social Justice
The 65-year-old may not be as active as she wants to be after marriage, five children, and nine grandchildren, but she still hasn’t lost the passion for seeing social justice becomes an everyday experience for women in her country.
Fauzia Mubarak Ali has co-founded several charity organizations with her husband Stevens and continues to support her husband in his desire for world peace. She doesn’t boast any personal awards or achievements, but her invaluable support to her husband led to him winning some of the following humanitarian awards:
- 2003 – World Social Award for humanitarian relief work helping children and victims of war.
- 2004 – Man of Peace Award at the World Summit of Nobel Peace Laureates for his dedication to promoting peace, reconciling people, and condemning terrorism.
Key Facts About Fauzia Mubarak
- Who is Fauzia Mubarak Ali? Fauzia Mubarak Ali is a human rights activist and the founder of the Human Rights Advocates Association (HRAA). She is also the wife of renowned singer and songwriter, Cat Stevens, now known as Yusuf Islam.
- What is Fauzia Mubarak Ali’s background? Fauzia Mubarak Ali was born in Karachi, Pakistan, on 24 March 1958. She studied Urdu Literature at Kinnaird College, and later pursued her Master’s degree in Comparative Literature at Columbia University.
- What is the main goal of Fauzia’s foundation, the Human Rights Advocates Association (HRAA)? The primary objective of HRAA is to encourage people to work for social justice in Pakistan. It focuses on promoting women’s rights, social equality, democracy, and peace in the country.
- Who is Fauzia Mubarak Ali’s husband? Fauzia Mubarak Ali is married to Cat Stevens, a famous British singer-songwriter, known for his songs about love and peace. He converted to Islam at the peak of his career and changed his name to Yusuf Islam.
- Do Fauzia Mubarak Ali and Cat Stevens have children? Yes, they have six children together: Yoriyos, Maymanah Islam, Abd al-Ahad Islam, Asmaa Islam, Aminah Islam, and Hasanah Islam.
- What is the ‘Small Kindness’ charity? ‘Small Kindness’ is a charity founded by Fauzia Mubarak Ali and her husband, Cat Stevens. The aim of this organization is to curb terrorism and its effects.
- How did Fauzia Mubarak Ali and Cat Stevens meet? According to most sources, Fauzia Mubarak Ali and Cat Stevens met through a marriage arrangement, a common practice in the Islamic religion. Stevens’ late mother, Ingrid Wickman, is believed to have chosen Fauzia as her son’s future wife.
- What is Fauzia Mubarak Ali’s net worth? It’s assumed that the combined net worth of Fauzia and her husband is around $10 million.
- Is Fauzia Mubarak Ali active on social media? Fauzia Mubarak Ali is a very private person and does not use any social media platforms.
- What did Fauzia Mubarak Ali study? Fauzia Mubarak Ali studied Urdu Literature at Kinnaird College for her Bachelor’s degree and pursued a Master’s degree in Comparative Literature at Columbia University.
- Where do Fauzia Mubarak Ali and Cat Stevens live? Fauzia Mubarak Ali and Cat Stevens have homes in London and the United Arab Emirates.
- What is the status of Fauzia Mubarak Ali’s marriage with Cat Stevens? Fauzia Mubarak Ali and Cat Stevens got married in 1979 and have been together for over four decades. There is no news about any marital problems or separation, indicating that they have a strong and happy relationship.