Jakobi Wilburn the eldest child of American rapper, singer, and songwriter, Nayvadius DeMun Wilburn, aka Future, with one of his numerous baby mamas named Jessica Smith.
Jakobi is also a rising star in the music world as he has decided to follow in his father’s footsteps to become a rapper. He had also courted the limelight for not so prestigious reasons, including the incident in early 2020 when he was arrested and went to prison for gang-related activities. This post aims at exploring the lesser-known facts about the celebrity kid.
Who Is Jakobi Wilburn?
Jakobi Wilburn was born on June 30, 2002. The young rapper and celebrity child is currently 21 years old. He was born in the United States of America, but his exact place of birth is not information that anyone, aside from his closest confidantes, has access to. Wherever that may be, it doesn’t alter the fact that he is a United States citizen on account of his birth status.
Jakobi belongs to the African-American ethnic group, and his physical features and skin color only confirm that aspect of his identity. Another pertinent part of his identity is that he wasn’t exactly a celebrity kid when he was born because his father, Future, wasn’t that big a star at the time of his birth and his mother wasn’t and still isn’t a big name socially.
Jakobi Wilburn’s Mother Was Future’s Baby Mama
The woman who gave birth to the young celebrity kid, Jakobi Wilburn, is a woman known as Jessica Smith. Besides her identity as Jakobi’s mother and Future’s first-ever baby mama, not much information is available regarding her date of birth, early life statistics, parents’ identity, and what she currently does for a living.
The long and short story about her popularity status remains directly linked to her previous relationship with Jakobi Wilburn’s father, Future. On the other hand, exhaustive articles and statements have been written to cover the identity of Jakobi’s father. He is a Grammy award-winning rapper who first came to the public’s consciousness in 2010.
However, he had already been quite active in the music world since the early 2000s with his involvement in the Dungeon Family, where he acquired his current stage name, Future. He dropped his first album titled “Pluto” in 2012 and has since become a force to be reckoned with in the American music industry, particularly in the rap genre.
He has also been nominated and declared the winner of many prestigious music awards ranging from the BET Awards to the Grammys. Suffice to say that Jakobi’s father has successfully blazed a trail for him should he decide to continue on his current path as a rapper.
Jakobi Wilburn’s Parents Were Never Married
Jakobi Wilburn’s parents, Future and Jessica Smith, obviously had a romantic relationship, but they never officially tied the knot as a couple. They didn’t even come close to doing so. The specifics of the relationship, including how they met, are not a piece of information that is readily available, and neither of them seems particularly keen on rehashing past events.
However, if one were to go by the timeline of their son’s birth (born in 2002), it would not be too outrageous to suggest that they began dating sometime in 2001, at the very least. As earlier stated, the result of that relationship was the birth of Jakobi Wilburn in mid-2002. Soon after, they went their separate ways, although not too many people know when this happened or why.
Jakobi Wilburn remained primarily in the custody of his mother, and in what would later become a pattern, Jakobi’s dad, Future, was forced to provide for his son when a court-ordered paternity test proved that he was the lad’s father. Over the years, this tug of war became a recurrent theme in Jakobi’s parents’ relations.
For instance, in 2013, Jessica Smith, Jakobi’s mom, essentially called for a review of what she termed a measly $1,662 she received from Future monthly for child support based on his supposed monthly income of $16,000 as opposed to what she claimed to have discovered was over $50,000 monthly.
Jakobi Wilburn Has A Good Relationship With His Father
There is no love lost between Jakobi Wilburn’s parents, as his mom has also sued his dad for not being a good dad following the events that led to the young rapper’s arrest in 2020. It will be pretty understandable if all the friction between his parents has somehow negatively impacted or soured the relationship between father and son.
However, the reverse is the case as Jakobi Wilburn enjoys a good relationship with his dad. The rapper, Future, has gone on record to say that he loves all his sons, of whom Jakobi is one, and hopes to build a legacy on their shoulders.
It is important to note that only 19 years separate father and son age-wise, as Future was only 19 years old when he had Jakobi. The difference in their ages mostly makes it appear like Jakobi and his father are brothers or friends whenever they are seen together at social events.
Jakobi Wilburn was Arrested In Connection with Criminal Related Activity
Remarkably, Jakobi Wilburn has already had a run-in with the law after being arrested in Newton County, Georgia, in January 2020. He was eventually charged with having a gun with its serial number scratched off. The charge of illegal gun possession was just one of many other charges that included a variety of felonies which saw him also charged with being involved in criminal-related activity after he lied about his identity and age.
What made the arrest ominous for Jakobi Wilburn and his loved ones was the fact that he was arrested and charged in Georgia, one of three states who treated certain underaged felons, such as Jakobi, who was only 17 years old at the time, as adults if the charge is deemed very serious. It also meant that the rapper was staring at the possibility of spending 20 years behind bars right in the face.
Fortunately for Jakobi Wilburn, his father, Future, put the best legal minds at the disposal of his son. His mother was also on hand to provide moral support. In fact, it was one of the few times that his parents had agreed on anything, and that was joining hands to ensure his release from custody. He eventually got his freedom in February 2020 after the charges were dropped.
Jakobi Wilburn Isn’t Future’s Only Son
The nature of his parent’s relationship, which includes the fact that they separated pretty much soon after his birth, means that Jakobi Wilburn is the only child that Future and Jessica Smith had as a couple. That statistic notwithstanding, Jakobi’s dad has made sure that Jakobi can count as many as eight other children, from his father’s subsequent relationships with different women over the years, as his half-siblings.
While his father has constantly eulogized over the prospect of building a strong male legacy, Jakobi Wilburn has at least a couple of half-sisters, including the lovely Londyn Wilburn, from his father’s relationship with India Jones. Future also has other sons and daughters, and their names and the identity of their mothers can be found below.
- Londyn Wilburn from India Jones
- Prince Wilburn from Brittni Mealy
- Future Zahir Wilburn from Ciara
- Hendrix Wilburn from Joie Chavis
- Legend Ary from Cindy Parker
- Paris Wilburn from Jenelle
- Reign Wilburn from Eliza Reign
- Kash Wilburn (Unidentified Mom)
Other Facts About Jakobi Wilburn
- He is a rapper like his father and has dropped some songs, including Bricc and Pink Lemonade. He goes by the stage name King Kobi.
- At almost 20, Jakobi Wilburn has made some money from his career as a rapper. His exact net worth has been placed at an estimated $100k. It’s still quite a long way to reach his father’s mouth-watering estimated $40 million. However, he’s still young and has the potential and inbred talents to match and possibly surpass his father’s esteemed career.
Key Facts About Jakobi Wilburn
- Who is Jakobi Wilburn? Jakobi Wilburn is the son of famous American rapper and singer, Future. He is an upcoming rapper who goes by the stage name King Kobi.
- When was Jakobi Wilburn born? Jakobi was born on June 30th, 2002 in Los Angeles, United States of America.
- Who are Jakobi Wilburn’s parents? Jakobi’s parents are Future (Nayvadius DeMun Wilburn) and Jessica Smith.
- How many siblings does Jakobi Wilburn have? Jakobi has seven siblings: Londyn, Prince, Future Zahir, Hendrix, Paris Kash, and Reign.
- What is Jakobi Wilburn’s profession? Jakobi is an upcoming rapper and has released several songs, including Pink Lemonade and BRICC.
- What is Jakobi Wilburn’s net worth? Jakobi Wilburn’s net worth is estimated to be around $500,000.
- What is Jakobi Wilburn’s height and weight? Jakobi is 5 feet 9 inches (1.75 meters) tall and weighs 65 kilograms (143 pounds).
- Which school did Jakobi Wilburn attend? He attended Columbia High School.
- What happened with Jakobi Wilburn’s arrest? On January 19th, 2020, Jakobi was arrested on charges of criminal gang activity, criminal trespass, and altered ID of a firearm. He was charged as an adult in Georgia and faces a possible 20 years behind bars. A court date for his trial has not yet been set.
- Has Jakobi released any albums? Yes, Jakobi released his debut album, Kobi$Torm, in April 2021 and his most recent album, 444 Degrees, in August 2022.
- What is the age difference between Future and Jakobi Wilburn? There is a 19-year age gap between Future and his firstborn son, Jakobi.