The University Of Pretoria (UP) is one of South Africa’s best research institutions. It takes the lead when it comes to producing the highest number of graduates in South Africa annually. The multi-faculty institution was formerly known as the Transvaal University College (TUC) when it was established in the year 1908. However, on the 10th of October 1930, General Jan Smuts changed its name to the Univesity of Pretoria; a name it bears even to date.
With its main campus located in Pretoria, South Africa, and over 62,000 students, UP has since transformed into a dynamic university, having both staff and students from a range of diverse backgrounds and cultures. Since its inception and through the phases of political power and social change, the institution has been remained resilient in its commitment to academic quality. And has now become of the top universities on the continent and the world. If you are looking to join this prestigious institution, read on to find out more about its application and other details.
What You Need To Know About The University of Pretoria Online Application
The University of Pretoria Online Application System is intended to be used by prospective students submitting an application to UP for the first time and not for those who are presently registered at the school. Here’s the best part; application for admission to UP’s undergraduate study programmes is open to both South African and international students.
To Make Use Of The Online Application System You Will Need The Following:
- Internet access
- An email (Gmail) address to which you have access regularly because as soon as you submit your online application, a student number (EMPLID) will be sent to this email address as confirmation of receipt.
General Application Information
1. UP applications open on 1 March of the year preceding the year of study.
2. Each prospective student must complete only one online application. On the online application, the University of Pretoria offers a first and second choice in terms of what you wish to study. All applicants should fill in both a first and second choice on the online application. Click here to go to the online application portal.
3. Once your online application has been processed, you will receive a student number (EMPLID).
4. Receiving a student number (EMPLID) does NOT imply that you have been accepted by the University of Pretoria yet. Admission is a separate process that your application undergoes after being evaluated by the relevant faculty.
5. It is in your best interest to complete your own online application. The University of Pretoria does not make use of representatives, agents or agencies during the application process. If you choose to make use of representatives, agents or agencies, you do so at your own risk. It is of utmost importance that you provide your personal email and postal addresses to enable the institution to communicate with you directly.
6. For the application for Distance Education admission (Faculty of Education) please visit the “Distance Education ” web page before you apply. Different rules are applicable.
7. It is important to note that should you wish to study the selection programmes BSc(Arch)(Architecture) or BSc(Int)(Interior Architecture), you must indicate them as your first choice on your application, or you will not be considered for these programmes. It is also essential to indicate the other selection programmes as your first choice on the online application.
For a more detailed step-by-step guide on how to use the online application system, you can watch this video below.
University Of Pretoria Faculties & Business School
- Economics and Management Sciences
- Engineering, Built Environment and Information Technology
- Health Sciences
- Natural and Agricultural Sciences
- Veterinary Sciences
UP also has a business school: Gordon Institute of Business Science (GIBS)
University Of Pretoria Courses
The University of Pretoria accredits all courses and strives to make the expertise of the University and its staff accessible by the public and the corporate environment via short courses, certificate programmes, and similar offerings. UJ study programmes are specifically designed to meet the training needs of their broader communities and are open to all prospective delegates throughout the year.
It constantly schedules in excess of 100 courses during a three-month period. This helps delegates and presents them with the opportunity to pursue a variety of industry-related short courses while being able to plan ahead and reap the benefits of workplace and professional skills development.
More so, the University also offers various Continuing Professional Development Courses, activities and seminars for engineers, educators, veterinarians, and medical professionals, among others who need to continuously update their knowledge, acquire CPD points and maintain their professional status through their respective professional bodies.
University Of Pretoria Library Information
With a number of libraries in various locations and focusing on different faculties, the library of the University of Pretoria is regarded as one of the best university libraries in South Africa. It provides a comprehensive information service not just for the students but also for the staff members. The library also provides e-services including e-books and e-journals, among other things.
UP’s main library comprises of a learning center, special collections, library technical services, and the following faculty libraries:
- Economic & Management Sciences
- Natural & Agricultural Sciences
- Engineering & Built Environment
- Humanities (including Music), and
Additionally, the university also has other faculty libraries spread across five different locations. Some of these libraries include the following:
- Oliver R Tambo Library
- Education Library (Groenkloof)
- Mamelodi Library
- Jotello F Soga Library, and
- Health Sciences Libraries (Medical Library, Basic Medical Sciences & Dentistry Library, Klinikala, Weskoppies, and Witbank)
UP Address & Contact Details
Main Campus (Hatfield)
Gordon Institute Of Business Science (GIBS)
Tel: +27 11 771 4000
Email: [email protected]
Address: GIBS, 26 Melville Road, Illovo, Johannesburg