The University of Johannesburg, popularly known as UJ, which was established on the 1st of January 2005, is no doubt one of the largest residential universities in South Africa. The institution came into existence due to the successful merger of the Soweto and East Rand campuses of Vista University, the Rand Afrikaans University (RAU) and the Technikon Witwatersrand (TWR). It currently has over 50,000 students, with eight faculties and over ninety departments. It also has four campuses spread across Johannesburg.
Since its inception, the University of Johannesburg has transformed into a very large institution. With over 50,000 students, the school boasts of more than 3000 international students, coming from over 80 countries around the world. Hence, UJ has become one of the largest contact universities in South Africa, out of the 26 pubic universities that make up the country’s higher education system. For anyone seeking to join this prestigious university, check out the UJ application guidelines, faculties, and courses, as well as their contact details below.
The University of Johannesburg Application
The University of Johannesburg has two different methods of application. There is an online application service; some courses such as the Short Learning Programmes can only be applied via its online portal. There is also the offline application method, where you’ll need to fill a hard copy form.
If you have previously applied and have a UJ student number, please call the UJ Call Centre (011 559 4555) to ensure that your cell number and email address are captured in the student database. This will ensure you receive a PIN number to complete the online application process.
First-Time applicants must follow the steps below to apply online:
Step 1: Go to www.uj.ac.za/Apply and click on ‘Apply’.
Step 2: From the drop-down menu click on ‘Academic Application’ and select the program of your choice.
Step 3: Select First-Time Applicant. Then, read the instructions and scroll down and click ‘I Accept’. Click next to proceed to the online application.
Step 4: Complete your biographical information, which will lead you to receive a student number.
NB: No application fee will be charged for online applications.
Please keep an eye on the UJ webpage to see if there are any changes to the instructions for applying online. The University will inform you, in writing, should your application be successful
For the offline application, the individual will need to download a hard copy of the UJ application form online. The form should be filled carefully to avoid errors.
After filling the form, the next step is to make payment of R200 to the University of Johannesburg either as a bank deposit or by electronic payment. After this, you can then proceed with the teller to the Student Enrollment Center, to submit the form. You will now wait for an email or SMS from the institution regarding your application.
University Of Johannesburg Faculties and Courses
UJ offers various courses, from short courses to undergraduate and postgraduate options. The university makes sure that there is always a place for professionals to add to their knowledge and skills; hence, giving them an upper hand in their place of work and career.
For an applicant to be considered for selection for a programme, he/she is required to comply with the programme’s minimum admission criteria. These criteria are based on either the National Senior Certificate or the National Certificate (Vocational (NCV). That being said, it is noteworthy that the university has a total of 8 faculties. and they are listed with their departments below.
1. Art, Design, and Architecture
Here are the departments found in this faculty
- Department of Industrial Design
- Department of Architecture
- Department of Fashion Design
- Department of Graphic Design
- Department of Interior Design
- Department of Jewellery Design and Manufacture
- Department of Multimedia
- Department of Visual Arts
- Department of Childhood Education
- Department of Education and Curriculum Studies
- Department of Education Leadership and Management
- Department of Educational Psychology
- Department of Science and Technology Education
5. Engineering and the Built Environment
- Department of Aircraft Maintenance and Engineering
- Department of Chemical Engineering
- Department of Civil Engineering Science
- Department of Civil Engineering Technology
- Department of Construction Management and Quantity Surveying
- Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering Science
- Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering Technology
- Department of Metallurgy
- Department of Mechanical & Industrial Engineering Technology
- Department of Mechanical Engineering Science
- Department of Mine Surveying
- Department of Mining Engineering
- Department of Quality and Operations Management
- Department of Town and Regional Planning
6. Health Sciences
- Department of Biomedical Technology
- Department of Chiropractic
- Department of Emergency Medical Care
- Department of Environmental Health
- Department of Homeopathy
- Department of Human Anatomy and Physiology
- Department of Medical Imaging and Radiation (Radiography)
- Department of Nursing
- Department of Optometry
- Department of Podiatry
- Department of Somatology
- Department of Sport and Movement Studies
The Departments include;
- Academy of Computer Science and Software Engineering
- Applied Chemistry
- Applied Physics and Engineering Mathematics
- Biotechnology and Food Technology
- Botany and Plant Biotechnology
- Geography, Environmental Management & Energy Studies
- Pure and Applied Mathematics
8. College of Business and Economics
The college placed at the heart of the commercial haven of Johannesburg was derived from the former Faculty of Economic and Financial Sciences. It was formed for the purpose of expanding management education in the country. Found in this college are a number of business-related schools with departments under them.
Johannesburg Business School
- Department of Business Management
- Department of Finance and Investment Management
- Department of Industrial Psychology and People Management
- Department of Transport and Supply Chain Management
School of Accounting
- Department of Accountancy
- Department of Commercial Accounting
School of Consumer Intelligence and Information Systems
- Department of Applied Information Systems
- Department of Information and Knowledge Management
- Department of Marketing Management
School of Economics
Here, you find Economics And Econometrics which contains the following centers:
- Centre for Competition, Regulation and Economic Development (CCRED)
- Centre for Local Economic Development (CENLED)
- DST-NRF South African Research Chair in Industrial Development
- Research Centre for Public and Environmental Economics (PEERC)
School of Public Management, Governance, and Public Policy
- Department of Public Management and Governance
- School of Leadership
School of Tourism and Hospitality
- Programmes in Tourism Management and Hospitality Management
- Programme in Food and Beverage Operations
- Hospitality Operations
University Of Johannesburg Campuses
- The Auckland Park Bunting Road Campus
- The Auckland Park Kingsway Campus
- The Doornfontein Campus, and
- The Soweto Campus
UJ Contact Details
Tel: +27 11 559 4555
Email: [email protected]
- Auckland Park Bunting Road Campus
Address: CRN Bunting Road $ Annet Road, Auckland Park.
- Auckland Park Kingsway Campus
Address: Corner Kingsway and University Road, Auckland Park.
- Doornfontein Campus
Address: CRN Siemert & Beit Streets Doornfontein
- Soweto Campus
Address: 326 Chris Hani Road (Old Potch Road), PIMVILLE