UCT Offers R100‚000 Bounty Prize For Info On Suspected Serial Rapist


The University of Cape Town (UCT) executive body has placed a bounty reward of R100‚000 for anyone with viable information that could aid in the arrest and prosecution of the suspected serial rapist involved in the recent attacks in the Rhodes Memorial area.

The management of UCT condemned the recent attacks on its students and also revealed that the university is taking necessary measures to ensure that such incident does not occur again by deploying members of a private security firm to increase patrols in the affected areas in an attempt to increase safety for both the students and the university staff.

See Also: Stop The Rape South Africa! A Serial Rapist Prays With His Victims 

Also, the UCT recently established a sexual assault response team (SART)‚ with Associate Professor Sinegugu Duma heading the team. The main aim of the team is to provide survivor-centred‚ compassionate and comprehensive services on campus. This will help victims of rape who survived to bounce back on their feet in no time.

The members of the team include a medical practitioner‚ counselors‚ staff from Student Wellness Service and representatives from Campus Protection Services, a prosecutor and representatives from the nearest police station‚ the Rape Crisis Centre and the Hospital Emergency Room.

Though it has not been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the four rape attacks recorded in two months in the area were done by a serial rapist‚ the probability is high that the culprit in all four cases is one person.

In the latest attack that happened on Tuesday, a UCT student was jogging along the bicycle path in the area near the bridge of Princess Anne Drive in Newlands forest when she was attacked by a man brandishing a knife.

She was severely assaulted and raped in the lonely bushes near the Rhodes Memorial area, UCT.

See Also: 2 Teen Girls Narrate How They Were Gang Raped, Dumped And Raped Again

The man held her captive for more than 24 hours while he had his way with her. He later forced her to walk to a garage at which point she was able to escape from captive.

With help of staff phone at the garage, she was able to reach the police for help. She is now recuperating in the hospital while the police and the UCT are doing everything possible to bring the culprit to book, including placing an attractive bounty on his head.