Teen Hands Himself To Police For Shooting Metro Cop


Police in Cape Town has arrested an 18-year-old male for shooting a Cape Town metro cop on Thursday.

The suspect, who would soon appear in court was arrested after he handed himself over to police on Thursday evening.

His surrender was as a result of effective and sustained pressure from the police who launched a manhunt In Cape Town.

Read Also: PICS: EFF Member Webster Shot While In Custody For Crime

The metro cop, Constable Zegers‚ 40‚ was reportedly shot by the teen; just after 9am on Thursday when he responded to a shooting incident in Hanover Park. He was hit in the stomach and on the hand.

Police spokesman FC Van Wyk confirmed that the incident happened after members of the metro police were called to a shooting in Athwood Road.

“Upon their arrival, they spotted a male person who‚ when he saw them‚ started shooting at them. Members returned fire.

“In the shootout, a 40-year-old male metro police constable was shot and wounded in his abdomen and left hand as well as a 41-year-old male metro police sergeant who sustained a slight injury to his left hand.

“They emptied an entire clip on him. They were busy shooting and the officers were just responding. They would have shot whoever was sitting in the car,” Van Wyk added.

City of Cape Town mayoral committee member for safety and security JP Smith also commended the officer for his bravery and for returning fire and even filling out paperwork; regardless of his injuries.

He thanked everyone involved in the search for the suspect. He stressed that the teen’s arrest “sends a strong message that we will not tolerate attacks on our staff and that we will hunt you down.”

Smith boasted that the Cape Town police has always lived up to expectation.

“We do not have a single metro police officer that has been killed or injured in the past five or six years that we have not found the shooter and held them accountable,” he boasted.

See Also: Police Bust Notorious Drug Pusher With Heroin In Her Private Part

Meanwhile, Metro police chief Wayne le Roux confirmed that metro cop Zegers is currently in a stable condition in the hospital.

Topics: >