OLX Western Cape is an online marketplace for South Africans, particularly those living in the Western Cape.
The advent of information technology has given rise to some unique global online marketplaces like the OLX where anyone can buy or sell any product with just a click of the mouse.
Olx was founded in 2006 as a global online marketplace, a platform that allows buyers and sellers of a specific good or service to interact in order to facilitate an exchange
Fabrice Grinda, a French entrepreneur and blogger founded the company with Alec Oxenford. It was initially built as an American classified advertisements website with sections dedicated to jobs, housing, personals, services, community, gigs, résumés, for sale items, and discussion forums.
In 2008, the company invested in “Web 2.0” features such as social network widgets, improved search, Ajax-based editors, interactive maps, and mobile versions and in the following year, it partnered with Hi5, a social network, which at the time had 60 million users.
Hi5 implemented OLX features, such as displaying ads and sharing ads with friends, and OLX enabled video, image and mobile features, in 39 languages and 90 countries.
Though Fabrice had already left the company to pursue a new adventure, Alec is still actively involved in the business and more determined in making people richer by releasing capital tied up in the objects lying around their homes, and making objects available to everyone in a more affordable way.
By 2014, OLX already had 11 billion page views, 200 million monthly active users spreading its operations from the United States to the Philippines, Thailand, Poland, Hungary, Bulgaria, Romania, Ukraine, Belarus, Kazakhstan and Indonesia and even parts of Africa like South Africa and Nigeria.
South African media group Naspers, acquired a majority of OLX in 2010 and 95% of the company in 2014. The platform is both web-based and mobile, but with South Africa being predominantly mobile-first, OLX South Africa focused its efforts on mobile users.
In places like the Western Cape, a steadily developing province with an increasing population of over 2 million residents, creating an active marketplace where steady business activities will be carried out won’t be a bad idea at all.
OLX Western Cape was formed to reach more local marketers. The platform links local people to buy, sell or exchange used goods and services by making it fast and easy for anyone within the Western Cape Land Mark to post a listing through their mobile phone or on the web.
How to Sell Your Goods On OLX Western Cape
Like in all other OLX marketplaces, OLX western Cape placed goods in categories so as to make these products easily accessible to buyers. These ranges from electronics and Computers, Fashions and beauty, Hobbies and Interest, office and Business, pets, jobs, vehicles, and farming industrial.
Hence, to place your desired product for sale,
- You must first log-in or register on the Olx WesternCape page,
- Add your product by clicking the “sell your item” tab at the right-hand side of your computer or phone
- Fill-in the requirements listed on the new page.
Key Things To Remember When Filling your OLX Advert Form
- Remember to put your product in the right category it belongs so buyers would easily access it.While describing what you want to sell, make sure you properly state how the product looks like. If possible, state the brand name the product carries, the model -for cars, phones and other technological gadgets if necessary. This will help the buyer to have a clear knowledge of what he’s buying.
- Remember also to add a catchy picture that presents exactly how your product looks like, not necessarily overrated pictures. This is important because products with photos sell five times faster than those with none.
- State where you live (your suburb). This is to help prospective buyers to know how to locate you for your payment and other arrangements, if necessary.
- Put down your contact details, especially your mobile number. You can choose whether or not you want your prospective buyers to contact you directly or reach you through the OLX chat. Click the check box if you want to hide your number.