The whooping sum of millions earned by South Africa’s municipal managers have been publicized.
The list of the managers’ earning in the 2014/15 financial year was communicated in a parliamentary reply.
A document that bears the pay indicates that while many South Africans languish in penury, Mutale municipal manager carts away a modest R598 031 a year while Tshwane’s municipal manager has it big with an eye-watering R3 076 954 million a year.
After retrieving the manager’s earning, DA MP, Kevin Mileham admitted that most of the managers should be pushed out because they really perform poorly, compared to their salary.
“There is a lack of accountability in local government and the department and minister are not taking these things seriously,” Mileham said.
In addition, the SA Municipal Workers Union (Samwu) felt disappointed with high salaries. It argued that the managers’ fat salary out-weighs that of ordinary municipal employees.
“It is disgusting. We believe they are overly and unnecessarily inflated to the point that the money that they get cannot be justified in any way,” said Samwu spokesperson Papikie Mohale.
Breakdown of Municipal Managers’ Salary in the 2014/2015 Financial Year.
- Mangaung Metropolitan Municipality- R2.4m
2. Westonaria Local Municipality- R1.2m
3. Midvaal Local Municipality- R1.5m
4. Hibiscus Coast Local Municipality- R1.032m
5. Richmond Local Municipality- R930 815
6. Okhahlamba Local Municipality- R750 864
7. Ulundi Local Municipality- R1.029m
8. Nkandla Local Municipality- R820 000
9. Kwadukuza Local Municipality- R1.3m
10. Polokwane Local Municipality- R1.038m
11. Mogale City Local Municipality- R1.832m
12. Mutale Local Municipality- R598 031
13. Kannaland- R1.147m
14. Randfontein- R1.45m
15. Ethekwini Metropolitan Municipality- R2.426m
16. City of Cape Town Metropolitan Municipality- R2.295m
17. Ekurhuleni Metropolitan Municipality- R2.805m
18. City of Johannesburg Metropolitan Municipality- R2.690m
19. Buffalo City Metropolitan Minicipality- R1.909m
20. Nelson Mandela Metropolitan Municipality R2m allocated- although the post was vacant for that period.
Read Also: Des van Rooyen Says A Big No To Golden Handshakes
Meanwhile, report had it that President Zuma earns slightly above R2.8 million annually. South Africa’s cabinet ministers bag R2.3 million while provincial premiers earn about R2.1-million.