SA Police Brutality: Ipid Comes For Cops Who Dragged Man to Death


The Independent Police Investigative Directorate (Ipid) has confirmed that it’s currently investigating the allegations that two police officers killed a man by dragging him with a police van in Limpopo.

BuzzSouthAfrica gathered that the officers dragged the 25-year-old man, John Khubayi after they had an argument on 1st January.

Khubayi died from the injuries he sustained from the incident even before he arrived a hospital.

See Also: Prominent Politician Recounts How His Son Recently ‘Died Like A Dog’

First, police spokesperson – Brigadier Motlafela Mojapelo – confirmed the incident and disclosed that Ipid has been invited to take over investigations.

Mojapelo said: “we are conducting our own investigation. For now the suspects are still on duty while we complete the investigation.”

Now, Ipid’s spokesperson – Moses Dlamini – has confirmed that the directorate launched a probe to investigate the allegations.

Although Dlamini was reluctant to expose the details of a preliminary report Ipid received on the issue, he promised that the case is being investigated.

“We are investigating… On the face, it looks like he was dragged, but we have to investigate the circumstances. We will interview witnesses and make an informed comment in due time,” he promised.

Check Out: Despite Durban High Court Order, SAPS Won’t Reinstate Lieutenant General Ngobeni

Khubayi’s sister, Jane, narrated that the officers and Khubayi’s girlfriend had visited their home.

According to her, the officers and the woman were seated inside the police van while her brother was asked to sign a document.

“While he was busy signing the document the police officer seated in the passenger’s seat grabbed John by both hands and ordered the one who was driving to drive.

The police van drove at high speed with the cop holding my brother’s hands. He was dragged for a very long distance and sustained injuries to his head. Both his legs were also broken and he was bleeding from the mouth and ear.

A passing motorist took him to the nearby hospital where he was certified dead on arrival.”

Wailing that she’ll never get over the brutal manner the cops murdered her brother, Jane added that the officers drove off but residents had already taken down the car’s registration details.