A South African NGO, Operation SA, has pledged to donate an estimated R10 million to assist displaced victims in Aleppo and other parts of the war-torn Syria.
The United Nations humanitarian group gave an estimate of 16,000 people who have fled the violence in Syria’s war-ravaged eastern Aleppo, with food stocks “practically finished” and every hospital bombed beyond use with nearly 200,000 people believed to still be in eastern Aleppo.
About 50,000 people have been evacuated from the rebel-held enclave of Aleppo since last week, including 15,000 on Monday and 10,000 last Thursday, the International Committee of the Red Cross said on Tuesday.
Giving its financial support to the war-torn country, the South African NGO Operation SA said its biggest single donation was R2 million from the Polokwane Muslim Trust Welfare Fund.
“We collected approximately R10 million and donations continue to come in. We hope to get the funds to the NGOs we’ve partnered with as soon as possible to help the people in distress,” says Operation SA’s Yaseen Theba, adding that the money will be distributed to seven local charities doing humanitarian work in Syria.
Meanwhile, the UN’s humanitarian chief, Stephen O’Brien stated on Tuesday, that he’s concerned about the fate of civilians as a result of the deeply alarming and chilling situation unfolding in Aleppo city.
“Initial reports indicate that up to 16,000 people have been displaced, many into uncertain and precarious situations. It is likely that thousands more will have no choice but to flee should fighting continue to spread and intensify over the coming days,” he said.
Government forces and armed paramilitary groups loyal to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad began a renewed push toward eastern Aleppo on November 15, as regime warplanes continued to pound the area to flush out rebels and civilians.