SA Military Base Robbery: BuzzSouthAfrica gathered that a former member of the South African National Defence Force (SANDF) has been arrested for his involvement in last week’s heist at the 9 South African Infantry Battalion Base in Khayelitsha.
The Western Cape police confirmed on Thursday that the former soldier, 40, has been taken in for questioning in connection with the shocking robbery, which resulted in the missing of six rifles.
The suspect was nabbed on Thursday morning in Harare after an intelligence-led hunt by the Provincial Organised Crime Unit and other assistants.
Western Cape Police spokesperson Captain FC van Wyk said investigators confirmed in a statement that the man is being questioned by the police.
“Unrelenting efforts by Provincial Organised Crime investigators assisted by various units resulted in the apprehension of a 40-year-old former SANDF member today. In an intelligence-led operation, police pounced on the suspect at an identified location in Harare‚ Khayelitsha early this morning. Our detectives are currently questioning the man,” van Wyk said.
He promised to release updates on the matter at the end of the investigation.
On Friday, April 14, a group of five armed robbers invaded the SA military base, overpowered soldiers and fled with firearms and ammunition while soldiers were held up at the base in Harare.
Reports have it that the robbers earlier subdued guards at the gate of the SA military base and took their firearms.
They later forced the guards inside the base, where they triumphed over five more soldiers at the armoury guard-room and forced them to open a safe and successfully made away with the six R4 rifles and ammunition.
Meanwhile, Parliament’s defence and military veterans portfolio committee have called for an urgent review of security at all SANDF military bases in the country to ensure they meet the requisite standard.