It has been revealed that King Dalinndyebo’s name has been removed from Government’ payroll after a public outcry that followed the news that the royal was still receiving his salary in jail.
Gladly and as expected by many, King Buyelekhaya Dalindyebo has finally been dumped from the government payroll by the Eastern Cape government. The payment department had written to him last month, warning him that his salary would be terminated.
With this step, the wishes of the masses have been finally honoured. This should also encourage authorities to lead by noble examples and treat everyone equally.
But reports said that before his payment was severed, the ruler had collected his monthly payment of R94 826 on January 15 and February 15 2016 respectively.
Confirming the development, provincial Department of Local Government and Traditional Affairs spokesman Mamnkeli Ngam said “The salary of King Buyelekhaya Dalindyebo was discontinued with effect from February 2016 as approved by the head of department”.
But, “the salary paid to him for the month of February 2016 will be recovered from his gratuities. Therefore, the king will not receive his salary in March 2016.”
King Buyelekhaya Dalindyebo of the abaThebu was indicted and was later convicted for arson, fraud, kidnapping and attempted murder.
The abaThembu royal family had asked the president to remove Dalindyebo in 2012 because of his criminal conviction and behaviour, but President Jacob Zuma didn’t do anything about it. Also, in July 2014, a group of Thembu chiefs wrote to President Zuma requesting that Dalindyebo be removed, claiming he was an “evil king” and “not fit to rule”.
When he was initially sentenced to 15 years in prison in 2009 for culpable homicide, assault with intent to do grievous bodily harm, arson, and kidnapping, he appealed to the Supreme Court and was granted bail pending the outcome of his appeal. The Supreme Court of Appeal however, discharged the culpable homicide conviction and reduced Dalindyebo sentence to 12 years.
Following this, his membership at the DA was terminated. A month later, when Dalindyebo was due to start serving his prison sentence, he made a last-minute effort to avoid incarceration by petitioning President Jacob Zuma for a presidential pardon, but it failed.
A statement from Mthunzi Mhaga, justice spokesperson confirmed that “in compliance with a court order issued by Mthatha High Court on 23 December 2015…King Buyelekhaya Dalindyebo handed himself to the head of Mthatha Correctional Centre at 23h40 in the presence of the Regional Commissioner of the Eastern Cape.”
Since he began his 12-year prison sentence at the East London Maximum Correctional Center, he has visited the hospital twice. Earlier this year Dalindyebo was transferred to St Dominics hospital, about 6 kilometers from the prison, when he fell ill due to a hunger strike he had embarked on.
At the time of his second admission to hospital, family spokesperson Mthunzi Ngonyama told News24 that Dalindyebo could not eat prison food as he was on a special diet for his stomach ulcers.
Presently and despite his incarceration, he remains the king of the abaThembu.