Public Works Official Flees With Department’s Money, Nabbed In Lesotho Border


BuzzSouthAfrica learnt that Hawk’s Serious Corruption Unit arrested a 36-year-old Department of Public Works official for alleged fraud and corruption.

From our gathering, the public works official was stationed at the Department’s Regional Office in Bloemfontein. The man allegedly plotted with some service providers and defrauded the Department R1.4 million.

He carried out the swindling by submitting fraudulent payment claims for a tender that was awarded to the service provider.

See Also – Foreigners In SA Prisons: Did You Know They Cost SA About R1.6 Billion Each Year? 

According to South African Police Service (SAPS), the suspect disappeared when he learnt he was wanted by the police. And, it was suspected that he fled to Lesotho.

“After an intelligence search, the man was arrested in Ficksburg after crossing the border from Lesotho. Four cell phones, a passport as well as a vehicle were subsequently seized,” SAPS divulged.

Tomorrow, the suspect will appear before Bloemfontein Commercial Crimes Court. There, he’ll face charges of fraud and corruption.

Earlier this week, two alleged bank fraudsters, Jennifer Vanesia Deville (54) and Lebone Beatrice Mazongani (40) appeared before the Burgersfort Magistrate Court for fraud.

Deville and Mazongani were arrested on Monday by Hawk’s Serious Commercial Crime Unit Members.

As it happened, Hawk’s Serious Commercial Crime Unit Members and Crime Intelligence initiated an operation after a tip-off about two women who planned to defraud Absa bank by providing fraudulent documents in order to withdraw money from a client’s account.

Read Also – Sergeant Mathonsi: Hawks Arrest Member Helping Drug Dealers

With that, the suspects were arrested right inside the bank whilst trying to deceive the consultant with the fraudulent documents.

SAPS said one identity document belonging to a genuine client of the bank was seized.

After the suspects appeared before the Burgersfort Magistrate, they were remanded in custody. Both suspects will again, appear before the court on 18 July 2017 for a formal bail application.