Cricket South Africa (CSA) has announced its Proteas’ squad national contracts for the 2017-18 season.
BuzzSouthAfrica gathered that the national contract is for the Standard Bank Proteas Men’s and the Momentum Women’s squads.
It will cover the period from 1 April 2017 to 31 March 2018, which includes, among other things, the 2017 edition of the ICC Champions Trophy, the ICC Women’s World Cup, the men’s bilateral tours away to England and the home series against Bangladesh, India and Australia.
CSA disclosed that it awarded Stephen Cook, Keshav Maharaj, Chris Morris, Andile Phehlukwayo and Tabraiz Shamsi their first national contracts.
The players all made their international debuts during the course of the past contract year.
Speaking on that, CSA Chief Executive, Haroon Lorgat said: “with (the) busy season ahead of us which also means heavier workloads on players, we decided to increase the number of men’s national contracts from 18 to 21.
Lorgat added that CSA also needed to recognize that certain players are specialists in certain formats of the game.
With that, he divulged that two young players – Quinton de Kock and Kagiso Rabada – have for the first time, been awarded multi-year contracts and, have now joined the elite player group.
Below are the contracted Proteas players:
- Hashim Amla (BuildNat Cape Cobras)
- Temba Bavuma (bizhub Highveld Lions)
- Farhaan Behardien (Multiply Titans)
- Stephen Cook (bizhub hghveld Lions)
- Quinton de Kock (Multiply Titans)
- AB de Villiers (Multiply Titans)
- JP Duminy (BuildNat Cape Cobras)
- Faf du Plessis (Multiply Titans)
- Dean Elgar (Multiply Titans)
- Imran Tahir (Hollywoodbets Dolphins)
- Keshav Maharaj (Hollywoodbets Dolphins)
- David Miller (VKB Knights)
- Morne Morkel (Multiply Titans)
- Chris Morris (Multiply Titans)
- Wayne Parnell (BuildNat Cape Cobras)
- Aaron Phangiso (bizhub Highveld Lions)
- Andile Phehlukwayo (Hollywoodbets Dolphins)
- Vernon Philander (BuildNat Cape Cobras)
- Kagiso Rabada (bizhub Highveld Lions)
- Tabraiz Shamsi (Multiply Titans)
- Dale Steyn (BuildNat Cape Cobras).
Also, the 14 players contracted for the Momentum Proteas women are:
- Dané van Niekerk (Eastern Province)
- Ayabonga Khaka (Border)
- Suné Luus (Northerns)
- Marizanne Kapp (Eastern Province)
- Mignon du Preez (Northerns)
- Shabnim Ismail (Gauteng)
- Trisha Chetty (Gauteng)
- Chloe Tryon (KwaZulu-Natal Coastal)
- Lizelle Lee (North West)
- Matshipi Marcia Letsoalo (Northerns)
- Laura Wolvaardt (Western Province)
- Masabata Klaas (Free State)
- Andrie Steyn (Western Province)
- Moseline Daniels (Boland).
CSA Chief Executive congratulated Laura Wolvaardt, the only newcomer to the women’s squad. He also congratulated Sune Luus and Ayabonga Khaka who were promoted to the top-tier.
“We are fortunate to have transitioned successfully and we now boast a strong squad made up of young and experienced world-class stars,” Lorgat declared.