Police Suspects Serial Rapist As Another UCT Student Gets Raped


Police say the possibility of a serial rapist being responsible for the raping of a University of Cape Town student has not been ruled out completely.

A University of Cape Town student was attacked and raped on Tuesday in Newlands forest while she was jogging. The rapist held the woman captive for more than 24 hours before she finally got the chance to escape.

She was able to escape when her attacker forced her to walk to the nearest garage and in the process, she got an opportunity and seized it. She ran away from her attacker and called the police.

Since December 2015, the vicinity of Rhodes Memorial has recorded about five other students who have experienced a similar attack by a serial rapist.

See Also: UCT Records Third Rape Case As Another student Was Rapped Near Campus

In his statement, police’s Andre Traut said, “the circumstances surrounding the case are being investigated. The victim, a 28-year-old, female was attacked by a suspect on Tuesday evening in Newlands forest.

“She was held captive and she managed to escape and reported the incident to the police. The suspect fled and is yet to be arrested.”

The University of Cape Town Vice Chancellor Max Price said the university is in compliance with the authorities to bring the perpetrator to book.

“We have put more security around, but this is off the campus and it happens along the mountain side in the bushes, and obviously when we put security in one place the rapist or rapists move to another place.”

See Also: State Provisionally Withdraws Rape Charges Against Mandela’s Grandson On Conditions

The university feels a “deep sense of responsibility” towards the students and staff under it. The deep sense of pain that goes with this kind of assault and violation, both on the victim and for their family is something that may never go away. Therefore, the university is doing everything possible to put a stop to such attacks.

The woman who was attacked possibly by a serial rapist is recovering in the hospital while her attacker is still at large.