A Kidnapping case against a police reservist Melumzi Kekana and four co-accused has been postponed to January 13, 2017.
35-year-old Kenana and the other four (Ntombikhoni Mgxekwa, Haseem Khalied, Zibi Jahazab and Muhammad Yaqoob) were arrested for kidnapping a Pakistani businessman on December 5.
Reports had it the group allegedly demanded a ransom of R10m from his family after they abducted Goolam Mustafa, 38, at his eatery in Lotus River on December.
They were later nabbed by the police, two days after the security agency launched an investigation and a big manhunt. The police subsequently found badly beaten Mustafa in a house in Khayelitsha on December 6.
Mgxekwa, Khalied and Jahazab were arrested at the house while Yaqoob was arrested in Eerste River.
On Tuesday, the five suspects appeared in the Wynberg Magistrate’s Court. They also pleaded not guilty to the charges.
Magistrate Mymoena Ismail, thereafter, postponed the matter to January to enable them apply for bail.
During their previous court appearance, dozens of Bangladeshi businessmen crowded outside the court, demanding justice.
They confessed that for years, their community has been targeted by kidnapping syndicates who demand huge sums of money.
A businessman Jahanigur Hossain of Rylands said they were being treated as “second-class citizens” in the country.
“They used to treat us like we are nobodies, but after telling them how we feel, things are much better. We are very happy with how they are handling our brother’s case,” he said.
Earlier this month, another police reservist, along with seven other men, was arrested for allegedly kidnapping and torturing three women in Cresta, Johannesburg.
Reports had it that the men tortured the women after the latter deceitfully collected a huge sum of money from them.
The eight suspects were also charged with kidnapping, torture and being in possession of unlicensed firearms.