Ex-Police Captain Convicted Over Fraudulent Life Policy Claim


Attempts on fraudulent life policy claim has landed former police captain and two accomplices in jail.

48-year-old Nono Sylvia Ndakisa who was a former police detective in Milnerton SAPS and his accomplices – Blondy Ntombomzi Ruth Williams‚ 46‚ and Elaine Felicity Pretorius‚ 51‚ were convicted for their involvement in a fraudulent life policy insurance claim which amounts to almost a million rand.

See Also: Date Fixed For Sentencing Of Ex-Eskom Managing Director Found Guilty Of Fraud, Money Laundering

Hawks Captain Lloyd Ramovha said they made the fraudulent life policy claim against the life of an individual who was falsely declared as deceased in October 2012. They falsified documents and subsequently submitted two claims of R350‚000 on each occasion to the insurance company.

“The policy was in place for almost a year from 2009 culminating in a claim the following year‚ the subject of which was an alleged Minerton murder case.

The body of an unidentified deceased was falsely identified by Williams using a fraudulent identity document at the local mortuary as that of the insured.

“Investigations uncovered that the supposedly deceased male was in fact alive and well in Soweto.”

After intense investigations into the matter, the former police captain and his accomplices were arrested in 2014.

A police detective who was also connected to the case had since been suspended pending internal disciplinary processes.

“She allegedly received a R20‚000 bribe and arranged that the body of an unknown male foreigner be identified as that of the insured and further assisted the fraudsters by certifying fraudulent copies of RSA ID’s through which the crimes were committed.”

See Also: Municipal Manager Paul Hatting And His Women Arrested Over R70m Fraud

Ndakisa and his accomplices have now been convicted of fraud in the Cape Town Regional Court for their criminal act.

One of the trio, Williams entered into a plea bargain and bagged a sentence of six years imprisonment. The fate of the remaining two will be decided on July 15.