Further investigations into a plot to kill the controversial state capture beneficiaries have found that President Jacob Zuma, and ANC Youth League Collen Maine and four members of the Gupta family are among the 23 names on the list.
Information from the Directorate for Priority Crime Investigation, the Hawks has it that the 23-year-old man who is expected to appear in court on Friday morning sent a letter to funders soliciting funds to assassinate some important figures in the country who are connected to the highly criticized state capture, including the sitting president Jacob Zuma and the leader of the ANC youth league.
The man who is said to be the founder of the Anti-State Capture Death Squad Alliance (ASCDSA) was intercepted by the Hawks after the investigative body received and conducted undercover operations in Pretoria and Johannesburg about the alleged assassination plot.
In the letter dated October 25, 2016, and addressed to businessman Nicky Oppenheimer under the heading “Let’s help save South Africa”, the man states: “All South Africans, have long been protesting and struggling against Jacob Zuma bad governance, rampant corruption, state capture, economic meltdown, self-interest, fraud, and failure to protect and uphold the constitution of the country.” (sic)
He also asks Oppenheimer for R60 million to fund the assassination of, among others, Mineral Resources Minister Mosebenzi Zwane, and “state capture convener” Fana Hlongwane.
In a separate letter, the alleged ASCDSA founder also sent a letter to Ajay Gupta, claiming to be the founder of the “Anti-White Monopoly Capitalists Regime” (AWMCG).
In the titled “Hands off The Gupta Family” he solicited for R75m which he said will be used to kill all those who continue to support white monopoly capitalists at the detriment of the blacks.
“The Gupta family has created employment opportunities for many black people since the dawn of freedom but white monopoly capitalists want to control the economy and prevent the Gupta family from creating more employment opportunities for the previously disadvantaged black people.”
In the letter, he also enlisted former finance deputy minister Mcebisi Jonas, former MP Vytjie Mentor, former public protector Thuli Madonsela and Themba Maseko, former GCIS chief executive, as part of those to be assassinated.
Meanwhile, Hawks’ spokesperson Hangwani Mulaudzi says big companies and individuals were approached by the suspect to fund his plot. A total amount of R140 million was requested for the operation which listed 19 individuals as targets.
Terrorism expert Jasmine Opperman also said a few things do not add up in the alleged terror plot. There appears to be a growing conspiracy mindset in state institutions.
“Are we seeing what has been taking place in these institutions for a long time now, where there is a continuous build-up of conspiracy to protect and justify their actions because of what is happening in South Africa against the president?” he said.
The suspect is expected to appear before Johannesburg Magistrate Court on Friday 28 April 2017 to face conspiracy to commit murder and other charges. Hawks also said the suspect will be denied to allow further investigations.