Robert Mugabe is the current president of Zimbabwe and has been the president for over 28 years (1987 – Till date).
Robert Mugabe Personal Life
Though Mugabe’s mother was Zimbabwean, his dad was Malawian. He was born on the 21st of February 1924 and was the third child of six. Mugabe grew up in a harsh environment, he lost both his older brothers at a young age and his dad abandoned the family in 1934 in search of greener pastures.
Mugabe was brought up as a Roman Catholic and was known to have little or no friends, he was an individual who enjoyed his own company and was never socially or physically active. Mugabe was a scholar and enjoyed reading, he has a number of bachelor and masters degrees under his name; including those he earned while in prison.
Between 1955 and 1960, Mugabe was a lecturer in Zambia and Ghana, before heading back to Zimbabwe to begin his political career.
Robert Mugabe Political Career
Mugabe’s political career officially started in 1960, when he joined the National Democratic Party (NDP). The party was eventually banned in 1961; this was when the Zimbabwe African Peoples Union (ZAPU) came to life, but in 1963 Mugabe left the ZAPU and joined the ZANU (Zimbabwe African National Union).
Mugabe eventually became the Secretary General of the ZANU, but due to a murder case involving the party in 1964, the party was banned and the party leaders; including Mugabe, were arrested and imprisoned indefinitely.
In 1974, Mugabe was eventually released from prison. In 1975 Mugabe took control of the reformed ZANU; this was after the death of the party Chairman “Herbert Chitepo”. On the 4th of March 1980, Mugabe became the prime minister of Zimbabwe. In 1988 after Mugabe became president; due to the abolishment of the Prime Minister position. He merged his party (ZANU) with the opposing party (ZAPU) to form the Zimbabwe African National Union-Patriotic Front (ZANU-PF) and made their leader his vice-president.
15 Short Robert Mugabe Quotes
- “The only white man you can trust is a dead white man”
- “ If President Barack Obama wants me to allow marriage for same-sex couples in my country, he must come here so that I marry him first”
- “We don’t mind having sanctions banning us from Europe. We are not Europeans”
- “It could never be a correct justification that, because the whites oppressed us yesterday when they had power, that the blacks must oppress them today because they have power”
- “It’s not possible that women can be at par with men”
- “Cricket civilizes people and creates good gentlemen. I want everyone to play cricket in Zimbabwe; I want our to be a nation of gentlemen”
- “Even Satan wasn’t gay; he chose to approach unclad Eve instead of unclad Adam”
- “The only warning the African takes seriously is low battery”
- “Sometimes you look back at girls you spent money on rather than send it to your mum and you realize witchcraft is real”
- “If you like school girls, buy a uniform for your wife to wear for you”
- “It is hard to bewitch African girls these days. Each time you take a piece from her hair to the witch doctor, either a Brazilian innocent woman gets mad or a factory in China catches fire”
- “When one’s goat gets missing, the aroma of a neighbour’s soup gets suspicious”
- “He who swallows a complete coconut has absolute trust in his anus”
- “It’s better for a man to be stingy with his money because he hustled for it, than a woman to deny you a hole she didn’t drill”
- “My dear ladies, please don’t buy a selfie stick when your armpit itself needs a shaving stick”
President Mugabe’s private house; which is estimated to have been built for over two million dollars, is situated in Harare on a forty four acre piece of land. The mind blowing mansion has twenty five bedrooms, two lakes, a swimming pool and Jacuzzi, with a 24 hours top notch security system.