The African National Congress Youth League (ANCYL) is the youth section of the African National Congress (ANC). The ANCYL came into existence in 1944 by Ashley Peter Mda, Walter Sisulu and Oliver Tambo.
The African National Congress Youth League Policies
The ANCYL was an organization of youths committed to the ideals of freedom, peace and democracy. The ANCYL’s policies, governance and programmes are in line with that of the ANC’s. The ANCYL focuses on a prosperous and democratic South Africa through a united, non-racial, non-sexist organization.
ANCYL Aims And Objectives
The African National Congress Youth League (ANCYL) shall:
- Strive to rally the youth of South Africa to support and unite behind the ANCYL, ad actively participate in the struggle to creat a non-racial, non-sexiest, united, democratic and prosperous society.
- Shall support and reinforce the African National Congress in the attainment of the goals of the National Democratic Revolution.
- Shall ensure that the youth make a full and rich contribution to the work of the ANC and to the life of the Nation.
- Shall focus on the general interests and rights of the South African Youth and the working-class in the socio-economic and political life of the country.
- Shall promote unity and patriotism among the youth.
- Shall promote the creation of a broad, non-aligned pioneer movement and fight for the rights of children as enshrined in the Constitution of the Republic of South Africa.
- Shall strive and work for the educational, moral and cultural upliftment of the youth.
- Shall promote gender equality in all spheres of life, especially amongst the youth.
- Shall promote among youth a spirit of international solidarity, peace and friendship with other nations
- Shall champion the cause of the African Renaissance.
- 1944 – 1947: Anton Lembede
- 1947 – 1950: Peter Mda
- 1950 – 1960: Nelson Mandela
- 1990 – 1994: Peter Mokaba
- 1994 – 1996: Lulu Johnson
- 1996 – 2004: Malusi Gigaba
- 2004 – 2008: Fikile Mbalula
- 2008 – 2012: Julius Malema
- 2015: Collen Maine