Nelson Mandela University is a sought-after higher institution of learning. Every year, thousands of students apply for admission to the metropolitan university that ranks as the most diverse university in South Africa. Like many higher institutions in the country, Nelson Mandela University has created a web page on the university portal to check application status. The steps are quite easy and quick.
How To Check Nelson Mandela University Application Status
Students, who apply to study at Nelson Mandela University, can easily track the progress of their application process by logging in to the university’s admission status page. They can always view their application form at the NMU website, where they should be informed about the outcome of their application.
Nelson Mandela University only informs applicants of the outcome of their application via its website and SMS. The university does not use any social networking site for this purpose. After the application process has ended, it takes about 15 working days to receive a notification (an acknowledgment letter) from the Admission Department informing the prospective students that their applications have been received.
If the student is admitted, they will receive an orientation guide and registration information.
Step-by-Step Procedure for Checking Nelson Mandela University Application Status
Nelson Mandela University has made it easy for prospective students to be checking the processing of their online applications at any time by creating an online platform for checking application status.
Once you have submitted your application to study at the university, you will receive an acknowledgment letter, and your login details to the online portal will be on such a letter.
To track the progress of your application, you have to log in with the details, and the steps are as follows:
STEP 1: Go to Nelson Mandela University’s website
STEP 2: Locate the Admission Status dashboard
STEP 3: Enter your student number and PIN
STEP 4: Click on the Login button
Note: On the Admission dashboard, students can view the following:
- Application admission status
- Residence admission status
- Outstanding documents
- Previous communications
- Confirm any admission offer you may have received so that the university can reserve a place for you
How to Login to NMU Student Portal Off-campus
To access the Nelson Mandela University student portal off-campus, you have to do the following:
- Visit https://students.mandela.ac.za
- Enter your username, e.g., Mandela/s123456789
- Enter your network password, which you can set for yourself, or it can be given to you
- Please change the password once it expires after 60 days
How to Access the SharePoint Sites Off-campus
- Log in to the Nelson Mandela University student portal using your student number and password
- Select your module from the “My Modules” tab
How to Access NMU Student Mail Off-campus
- Go to: https://outlook.office.com
- Enter your username, which should be your student number, followed by @mandela.ac.za, for example, email@example.com
- You will be directed to the Nelson Mandela Univesity Login page
- Enter your username (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Enter your password: It can be the network password given to you or the password you set yourself.
NMU Eduroam WiFi Login Details
- Username: email@example.com
- Password: Use the network password which was given to you or the one you set yourself
What’s Involved in NMU Academic Admission?
Prospective students (undergraduate, postgraduate and international students), who wish to study at Nelson Mandela University for the 2023 academic year, are notified that the online application has commenced. Applicants are hereby advised to submit their online application for early admission in 2023 before the closing dates listed below:
- MBChB applications with NBT – June 30th, 2022
- Bachelor of Radiography (BRad) applications – June 30th, 2022
- Early applications (excluding BRad and MBChB) – August 4th, 2022
- Late applications (excluding MBChB and BRad) – September 30th, 2022
- International students applications – September 30th, 2022 (application fee of R500)
- All student housing applications – September 30th, 2022
NOTE: As some qualifications have limited space, it is in the best interest of applicants that their online applications and all supporting documents are submitted early.
NMU Minimum Admission Requirements
At Nelson Mandela University, there are requirements that a prospective student must meet to stand a chance to be offered admission to a specific programme. Besides the minimum admission requirements, the university may specify additional requirements for some programmes.
It’s worth noting that final acceptance into Nelson Mandela University depends on the applicant’s final school leaving results meeting the minimum admission requirements for the student’s chosen programme.
Bachelor’s Degree Minimum Entry Requirements
- Pass the National Senior Certificate with a minimum of 30 percent in the university’s language of learning and teaching
- Achievement rating of four (50 to 59%) or better in any four National Senior Certificate 20-credit subjects, together with any other university requirements
Diploma Minimum Entry Requirements
- Pass the National Senior Certificate with a minimum of 30 percent in the language of learning and teaching of the higher education institution
- Achievement rating of three (40 to 49%) or better in four recognized National Senior Certificate 20-credit subjects and other university requirements.
Higher Certificate Minimum Entry Requirements
- Pass the National Senior Certificate with a minimum of 30 percent in the university’s language of learning and teaching, together with any other university requirements.
Nelson Mandela University Application Upload Documents
While submitting the NMU applications, prospective students need to upload the following documents:
- A certified copy of the latest school results (final school leaving certificate or grade 12 June/September results, or grade 11 final results), or
- A certified copy of the matriculation certificate/statement of results, if the applicant has completed schooling/already passed Grade 12
- Certified copies of Diploma/Degree certificates together with the academic record(s) and certificate(s) of conduct if the applicant has studied elsewhere
- A certified copy of the identity document (compulsory for South African citizens), or
- ID number/serial number that appears on the birth certificate
- A certified copy of the parent/legal guardian/surety’s identity document (ID)
- Proof of your current home/residential or postal address
- Declaration by your parents / legal guardian/surety form
- Completed disability assessments form (if applicable)
NOTE: Applicant’s student number/identity number must be clearly indicated on all documentation submitted.
NMU International Students Admission
At NMU, international students are not admitted into all programmes, and applicants are required to meet the statutory requirements as stated by the Matriculation Board (Universities South Africa). After the application is received by the Mandela International Office, the application forms with the required documents will be evaluated and processed.
Prospective students are to pay a non-refundable application fee of R500. And applications without proof of payment of the application fee will not be processed. If applicants do meet the requirements of the university, they will be notified of the outcome of their application via email or in writing.
If accepted, the applicants will receive the following:
- An acceptance letter that indicates the student number and the programme for which the student is accepted for
- An acceptance of the offer form
- Medical aid information
- A request for accommodation form
- A fees booklet
- An orientation form
- A pre-arrival book