You cannot be said to have attained that celebrity status, for most people, until you start driving around in the best or, at least, the most flashy cars around. Live in a small house if you may, and wear simple clothes if you want, but the car has to be top-notch because that will place you in a different class. With that said, some of the most expensive cars in South Africa are owned by celebrities.
Most Expensive Cars in South Africa That Cost The Millions
1. Somizi- Lamborghini Urus (R5 million)
Social distancing pic.twitter.com/Ubl5ePf5ec
— somizi somGAGA (@somizi) June 14, 2020
- Full Name: Somizi Buyani Mhlongo
- Career: Media personality, singer, and actor
- Net Worth: $5 million
- Other Cars: Mercedes Benz G350d, BMW i8
When it comes to celebrity cars that make waves, Somizi is one of those people that one will not be able to wave away carelessly. He has some cars that are not just fancy, but cost what many can only dream. In 2018, the media personality lost his R2 million to hijackers who also robbed him of R21,000. He is a big spender as far as cars are concerned; in 2016, he bought two cars worth R3.3 million in a single week. Shortly before then, he bought an R1.7 million BMW i8, which would later be hijacked.
The Idol SA judge unveiled a Lamborghini Urus in 2020, placing him above almost all other celebrities with the most expensive cars in South Africa. So much for a man who went broke between 2006 and 2009.
- Engine- 4.0-liter twin-turbo V8
- Transmission- 8-speed automatic transmission
- Maximum Power- 650 CV (478 kW) @ 6,000 rpm
- Maximum Speed- 305 km/h
- Fuel Consumption- 12,7 l/100 km
2. Jimmy Tau- Rolls-Royce Ghost (R4.5 million to R5 million)
- Full Name: Jimmy Tau
- Career: Ex-football player and businessman
- Net Worth: $1 million
- Other Cars: Porsche 911 Turbo (R1.5 million)
Bafana Bafana and Kaizer Chiefs star is not only one of the celebrities with the most expensive cars in South Africa, but he also tops the list except for Somizi’s Urus. He purchased the car in 2018, spending between R4.5 to R5 million to acquire it. He can afford the money to get this car and others in his mouth-watering fleet, as well as a home in Pinehaven Country Estate through his career as a footballer, endorsement deals, and business.
Jimmy Tau’s Rolls-Royce Ghost has the following specs:
- Engine- Twin-turbocharged V12 engine
- Transmission- ZF 8-speed automatic transmission
- Maximum Power- 563bhp @ 5250rpm
- Maximum Speed- 155 mph
- Fuel Consumption- 6.75 L/100 km
3. Amanda Du Pont (McLaren 570S- R3,950,000)
- Full Name: Amanda Du-Pont
- Career: Actress, model, and TV personality
- Net Worth: $2 Million
- Other Cars: Range Rover sport
Du Pont has come a long way through the years, and so it is not surprising that she has one of the most enviable celebrity cars in SA. She splashed close to R4 million in getting herself this beautiful British manufactured car in 2018. The actress, who is a car freak, got the car to celebrate her 30th birthday.
Amanda Du Pont’s McLaren 570S has the following specs:
- Engine- V8, 3.8L (Twin Turbochargers, Dry Sump)
- Transmission- 7-speed Graziano SSG dual-clutch
- Maximum Power- 570PS (562bhp)
- Maximum Speed- 328kph (204mph)
- Fuel Consumption- 10.7 litres/100km
4. Cassper Nyovest- Bentley (R3.7 million)
- Full Name- Refiloe Maele Phoolo
- Career- Rapper
- Net Worth- $4 million
- Other Cars- Mercedez Benz V-Class and Bentley Coupe.
When Cassper Nyovest first bought his Bentley in 2016, it topped the list of the most expensive cars in South Africa owned by celebrities. More than 4 years later, the Continental GT is still an expensive ride. He made his fortune through his musical career, involvement in business, as well as various endorsement deals. Fans have always accused him of bragging on social media, but even that has not stopped him from always showing off this beauty on Instagram and Twitter. The GT is not the only car in his interesting collection, but it is the jewel.
Cassper Nyovest’s Bentley has the following specs:
- Engine- Twin-turbocharged W12 engine
- Transmission- 8-speed dual-clutch transmission
- Maximum Power- 467 kW @ 6000 rpm
- Maximum Speed- 207 mph / 333 km/h
- Fuel Consumption- 12.1 litres / 100 km
5. Bonang Matheba- Mercedes Benz G Wagon (R3.2 million)
- Full Name: Bonang Dorothy Matheba
- Career: TV personality, radio host, actress, and businesswoman
- Net Worth: R7.2 million
- Other Cars: SUV, Range Rover Sports, and BMWi
Queen B is an elegant woman who is a representation of the class. This is probably the statement she wanted to establish when she churned out over R3.2 million in acquiring a Benz G Wagon. The first time she was seen driving the special car, the rumor claimed that she was not the owner. The claim was that the Mercedes-Benz G63 AMG belonged to her then-boyfriend, Nigerian entertainer, D’Banj.
Instead of giving any attention to the claim, she was later seen driving in her own G Wagon, placing her in the class of South African celebs who have the enviable car. Others are Nathi Mankayi, Riky Rick, iFani, Thuli Phongolo, Boity, and Connie Fergusons, among others.
Bonang Matheba’s G-Wagon has the following specs:
- Engine- AMG 4.0-litre V8 bi-turbo engine
- Transmission- AMG SPEEDSHIFT TCT 9-Speed Sports Transmission
- Maximum Power- 572bhp @ 5500rpm
- Maximum Speed- 240 km/h
- Fuel Consumption- 14.4 l/100 km
6. Black Coffee- Maserati (R3 million)
- Full Name: Nkosinathi Innocent Maphumulo
- Career: Disc Jockey, singer, songwriter, and record producer
- Net Worth: $60 million
- Other Cars: Bentley, G-Wagon, CLK Mercedes
Black Coffee does not need any form of introduction. The veteran South African DJ and pioneer in the music business is one of those people who could afford almost any car they wanted, with a net worth estimated at a mouth-watering $60 million. He is said to charge as much as R1 million per gig and receives the equivalent in US dollars. This means that coughing out R3 million to get a Maserati shouldn’t be huge labor.
Considering that he also has a Bentley Continental GT and a Mercedez G Wagon, he has three among the 10 most expensive cars in South Africa owned by celebrities. The model of Black Coffee’s Maserati is not known; hence, the specs cannot be ascertained.
7. Nomzamo Mbatha- Audi R8 V10 (R2.9 Million)
- Full Name: Nomzamo Nxumalo Mbatha
- Career: Actress, TV personality, Businesswoman
- Net Worth: $3 million
- Other Cars: Audi SQ5
2016 was the year for South African actress, businesswoman, and human rights activist, Nomzamo Mbatha. The year saw her making some very interesting achievements that included getting an Audi R8 V10, valued at close to R3 million, delivered to her as the ambassador of the car brand. The hot Audi Sportscar is just one of the collection of the beauty’s fancy cars. Also Puma’s brand ambassador, she has another Audi, an SQ5 model, which she spent over R1 million to acquire.
8. Boity Thulo- Lumma Range Rover Sport (R2.5 million)
- Full Name: Boitumelo Thulo
- Career: Rapper, actress, businesswoman, and model
- Net Worth: $2 million
- Other Cars: Mercedes-Benz AMG
Boity Thulo has an impressive car collection with cars that include Mercedes-Benz AMG and a Jeep. In 2019, she gave the fleet an impressive boost when she purchased the R2.5 million Range Rover. A car freak, when the South African television personality bought her Benz, the rumor flew that the ride was bought for her by her then-boyfriend, Cassper Nyovest, but it was later revealed that she bought the car for herself. When her new car came, she did not have to share the credit with anyone since no one doubted her capability of getting it and more for herself.
Boity’s Lumma Range Rover Sport has the following specs:
- Engine- Supercharged 5.0-liter V8 engine
- Transmission- 8-speed automatic
- Maximum Speed- 162mph (260km/h)
9. AKA- BMW X6M (R2.1 million)
- Full Name: Kiernan Jarryd Forbes
- Career: Rapper
- Net Worth: $12 million
- Other Cars: BMW i8
AKA has a good taste in music, women, and who needs to hear it, cars. The South African rapper has got some very fascinating cars, most of which have been manufactured by the German brand, BMW. In 2020, it was reported that he lost two of his cars to SARS, but this still doesn’t stop him from having one of the most expensive cars in South Africa thanks to his BMW X6M, which cost him nothing short of R2 Million. Although he has made his fortune through music, endorsement deals, and business, he was also born into a wealthy family.
His BMW MX6 has the following specs:
- Engine- 4.4-liter BMW M TwinPower Turbo V-8, 32-valve 600-hp engine
- Transmission- 8-speed M STEPTRONIC automatic transmission
- Maximum Power- 600 @ 6000-6000 rpm
- Maximum Speed- 155  mph
10. DJ Tira- Range Rover SVR Sport (R2 million)
- Full Name: Mthokozi Khathi
- Career: DJ, record producer, and artist
- Net Worth: $500,000
- Other Cars: Benz G-Class, Bentley Continental GT
Yet another Range Rover is DJ Tira‘s SVR Sport on which he spent over R2 million. The highly acclaimed DJ has never disappointed when it comes to cars. With a net worth of over $500,000, he has great cars, including Mercedes Benz G-Class, as well as a Bentley Continental GT, each of which costs over R3 million. It was in 2016 that he got his SVR Sport.
DJ Tira’s Range Rover SVR Sport has the following specs:
- Engine- 5.0-liter Supercharged V8 gas 575 HP engine
- Transmission- 8-speed automatic transmission
- Maximum Speed- 260km/h
- Fuel Consumption- 12.1 litres / 100 km