The African National Congress (ANC) volunteers who lost their lives in a fatal crash last Sunday would be honoured at a joint memorial service on Thursday.
Last Tuesday, families of the victims received the remains of their loved ones at the Germiston Mortuary, where the ANC Gauteng and Ekurhuleni leaders welcomed them before the identification process commenced.
The 10 victims (Five men and five women) died in a tragic bus crash after the bus overturned on their way back from the ANC’s local elections manifesto in Port Elizabeth on Sunday. The fatal accident also left many others injured.
African National Congress (ANC) leaders in Gauteng have also paid a condolence visit to the families of 10 people. Confirming the visit via a statement on Monday, the party said, “The provincial and regional leadership visited all the families individually throughout this afternoon. The broad family of the ANC is still shocked by this horrific loss of life. A funeral committee has been established consisting of comrades from the province and the region to assist the affected families with logistical arrangements.”
The victims’ names were released on Tuesday and they are:
1. Sphamandla Gedle (Male)
2. Simphiwe Nhlapho (Female)
3. Tiisetso Ntsilo (Male)
4. Sesi Mtshali (Female)
5. Sana Sibeko (Female)
6. Mphikeleli Malindi (Male)
7. Gugulethu Sithole (Female)
8. Vusi Nkabinde (Male)
9. Daphney Linda (Female)
10. Sicelo Kheswa (Male)
Funeral Arrangement After Today’s Memorial Service
After the memorial service on Thursday, they will be buried on Saturday and Sunday in Gauteng and KwaZulu-Natal. Meanwhile, according to the police, the bus drivers may be charged with culpable homicide.
Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) leader had earlier blamed the ANC for the misfortune. The leader said this while addressing communities in Soweto ahead of EFF’s manifesto launch. He however sent his condolences to the families and the ANC in Ekurhuleni. But stated that the tragic crash could’ve been avoided.