In compiling the list of the top Universities in Zambia, the ranking is usually done based on the universities offering the best programs such as MBA, Medical, Engineering, Arts & Design, Films & Media and many other Courses and Programs. These rankings also look at quantitative measures of academic productivity and how far the certificates awarded can take one around the world. Thus, it is sometimes based on whether the degrees and diploma certificates awarded to candidates are well-recognized around the world.
Of course when you search for any global university ranking, you’re likely to find at least two or three Zambian universities listed this is because some Zambian universities offer world-class learning experiences. There are around 9 Universities in Zambia like University of Zambia, The Copperbelt University, Lusaka Apex Medical University, University of Lusaka and Mulungushi University which are among the best universities in the world. Check below to see the latest list of the top higher institutions in Zambia.
1. University of Zambia (World rank: 2295): It is the Zambia’s biggest university and was founded in 1966. Its student population is about 24,834. The school has over 157 degrees and post-graduate degree programs. It recently launched a one-year Diploma programme in Intelligence and Security Studies. It offers different important courses relevant to current time.
2. Copperbelt University (World rank: 16183): It was founded by an act of the Zambian Parliament in 1987 and it used to be part of the University of Zambia before it was separated.
3. Zambian Open University (World rank: 16204): It is a private university, established in 2002 and also a member of the Association of Commonwealth Universities.
4. Mulungushi University (World rank: 16373): Mulungushi is a private university founded on 1st January 2008 and offers a wide range of degrees, diploma and certificate programs. It also offers distance and lifelong learning programs, short lectures and even evening lectures for non-regular students. It has two campuses to serve students better.
5. University of Lusaka (World rank: 16700): A private university established in 2007 in Lusaka, Zambia
6. Northrise University (World rank: 17103): A private, Christian, university in Ndola, Zambia. It was established in 2003 by Moffat and Doreen Zimba.
7. Cavendish University (World rank: 19068): Cavendish university is affiliated to Cavendish International Limited, London. It was established in 2004 and has over 5500 students.
8. Copperstone University (World rank: 20637): Copperstone university was founded in 2004. Its primary objective is to foster quality and solid higher education for Zambians. It’s founded on the premise of “Copper-stone” principle – a stone that lays a solid foundation to the major mineral contributing to the economic development of the country.
9. Rusangu University (World rank: 21684): Formally referred to as Zambia Adventist University, Rusangu is a private coeducational Christian university located in Rusangu Mission near Monze in Zambia.
10. Zambia Catholic University (World rank: 22118): Zambian Catholic University was established in April 2008.