Reports have it that KwaZulu-Natal Premier Senzo Mchunu has been instructed to presents his resignation come Monday.
As gathered, the Premier was invited into a gathering at the ANC provincial office in Durban yesterday and informed that he’s been axed. ANC’s provincial executive committee PEC reportedly asked him to hand in his resignation letter by Monday.
The reports quoted a senior government official who divulged that Premier Senzo was axed because he bloated the staff at the office of the premier from 300 to 500, and was as well, interfering with Social Development MEC Weziwe Thusi’s job.
Mchunu who was also accused of running parallel structures and overlooking ANC plans, according to the source, “was baffled because the only person who should inform him of his appointment or dismissal is President Jacob Zuma.”
The provincial executive committee however, told the Premier that they got the permission to fire him from the president. BuzzSouthAfrica learnt that ANC head office at Luthuli House sanctioned the decision last week. And that provincial cabinet will be reshuffled on Tuesday.
As gathered, the present Transport MEC Willies Mchunu will replace Mchunu and be sworn in on Tuesday.
Education MEC Peggy Nkonyeni will be replaced by Nomagugu Simelani Zulu; Economic Development, Tourism and Environmental Affairs MEC Mike Mabuyakhulu by ANC chair Sihle Zikalala; and Agriculture and Rural Development MEC Cyril Xaba by Mthandeni Dlungwana.
Also, Arts and Culture MEC Sabhidla Saphetha will be replaced by former Umgungundlovu District Mayor Bongi Sithole, and Mxolisi Kawunda appointed the transport MEC.
Confronted to verify this story, party spokesperson Mdumiseni Ntuli said “I can’t confirm rumors because that will mean I am a source of rumors.