You may be tired of your current network either because of high tariff, slow network, high cost of data, or simply because you want to change your network. The problem that could be associated with this is that you will lose the number that everyone knows you with. Well, it is all different now, thanks to the ease with which you can port to MTN from other networks.
This service is available through the Mobile Number Portability (MNP), which makes it possible for you to transfer to MTN from your current service provider while still maintaining your phone number. The process of porting is straightforward and convenient. Another easy process is how to get your PUK after you must have moved to MTN.
What Exactly Does It Means To Port From One Network To Another?
The process of porting from a particular network to another means to change one’s mobile telecommunication service provider to another. Rather than getting an entirely new line, when you port, you still maintain your previous number.
This means that your current number will remain as it is, but the network provider will change. When you successfully port your line to MTN or any other network, for that matter, you will become the subscriber of your new network. Hence you will be required to use the recharge card of your new network.
In addition to that, the tariff plans you will be on, as well as other packages, will all reflect your new service provider even when your phone number still appears as it was with your previous service provider. It is worth noting that Mobile Number Portability in South Africa is not a new invention. It has been around since 2006.
Here Are All The Steps To Follow To Port to MTN From Other Networks
What makes porting from other networks to MTN interesting is the fact that it is not stressful. You can have the entire process carried out in the comfort of your home by following some simple steps. Note, however, that you may have to buy another MTN SIM to try again if you miss these steps. Here are the steps to follow:
Steps for porting to MTN
- The first thing you will want to do after deciding to port to MTN is to Purchase an MTN SIM Card.
- Once that is done, you will want to RICA your SIM Card
- In the process, you will be asked to present any means of identification, which could be Identity Documents or a Smart ID Card. You will also need to present Proof of Residence.
- With your new MTN, SIM RICA’d, kindly note that you are not expected to insert it into any device yet. If you insert it on any device, it will take on the current number, and so you will not be able to use it for porting.
- Next, using the SIM you want to port to MTN, which could be Vodacom, Telkom, Or Cell C SIM, Send an SMS, PORTME#( 10-digit MTN SIM number) to 083 767 8287
- Note that the 10-digit MTN SIM number is found on the SIM Pack. Hence, the SMS will take the form of the following; ’PORTME#0000000000.’
- After a short while, you will receive a confirmation text message notifying you that your demand is progressing.
- You will want to wait for at least 24 hours after receiving the confirmation message, and then you can now insert your new MTN SIM into your mobile device.
- To activate your new SIM, select New Number if prompted, and with all processes followed to the latter, you will successfully port to MTN.
It Is Free To Port to MTN From Other Networks
One thing to know is that you will not be expected to pay any fee to port to MTN as the process is entirely free. The only cost incurred is for the new MTN SIM you will be required to buy. More so, you may be charged for the SMS sent in the process of porting.
If you have airtime on your previous line, you may need to make use of it before you attempt to port to MTN. When you port, you will lose the airtime and data on your current SIM card when you finally port.
You Can Port To MTN From Other Networks In A Single Day
When a request is made to port to MTN from other networks, it can be processed on the same day, and your service provider can be changed without delay. However, you are sometimes required to wait for 24 hours so as not to interrupt the process.
With that said, if after porting to MTN you may wish to go back to your previous service provider or any other for that matter, it is important to note that you can not make the request immediately after you port. In fact, you will be required to stay on any network you port to for at least 60 days before you can make any attempt at porting back or porting to another network entirely.
What You Need Your MTN PUK Number For
Your PUK is Personal Unlock Key that comes with every SIM card you purchase. This code is essential when you want to open your line after having mistakenly locked it by inputting the wrong pin on your phone multiple times. The number is important for your phone’s security, and just like your phone number, this code is unique to every line.
The PUK comes as an 8 digit code on the starter pack of every SIM pack. When you port from one network to another, you will not make use of the PUK of your previous service provider.
You can get this number from the same SIM pack you purchased for your porting to MTN. However, if you have lost the starter pack, the only other means to get back this important number is for you to call the MTN customer care line on 135.
When you put a call through to the network, you will be required to answer some security questions correctly before you can retrieve the number. Failure to answer the security questions will not guarantee you are getting the code, and so you may have to visit the nearest MTN outlet to you.