If you are among those who want to be a part of the South African National Defence Force (SANDF), whether it is the army, navy, or airforce, then picking up one of the SANDF application forms is the first step to actualizing your dream. But, before you apply, know that the job description of members of the armed forces is no child’s play. They put their lives on the line to protect others and they are expected to do all that is possible to ensure that the people they are protecting stay alive. So, to become a part of any one of the armed forces, you must possess the necessary skills.
To be sure that the people they are bringing on board to become members of SANDF in any of the different services meet the required criteria, those who apply and make the cut are taken through a series of training and screenings.
What You Should Know About SANDF Before Applying
SANDF is an abbreviation that stands for South African National Defence Force. It was originally founded in 1912, but in 1994, after the apartheid regime, it was reformed on the basis of the new South African constitution. SANDF comprises four different armed services which include:
- South African Army
- South African Air Force
- South African Navy
- South African Military Health Service
All of these services report to the Chief of the SANDF who reports to the Minister of Defence who in turn reports to the commander-in-chief, in his case – President Cyril Ramaphosa. The Joint Operations Division is saddled with the responsibility of coordinating the operations of all or any of these services.
The Armed services that make up the SANDF are responsible for protecting the border (Operation CORONA), providing disaster reliefs and assistance (Operation CHARIOT), safety and security around the country (Operation PROSPER), investigating and eliminating the use of illegal weapons, prostitution rings, and any illegal activity whatsoever (Operation FIELA).
During elections and unrest in other countries, some members of SANDF are deployed to those countries to take part in peacekeeping. As of 2019, SANDF was made up of 69.4% males and 30.6% females.
How To Fill And Submit SANDF Application Form?
To become a part of SANDF under any of the armed services, you will have to do the following:
- Download the application form.
- Print out the hard copy of the form
- Carefully fill the form by providing the right details, including;
- Cell phone number
- Health status
- Marital status
- Preferred service
- Academic qualification
- Applicant’s signature
- Signature of parent or legal guardian
- Submit the form alongside these documents:
- Valid identification document
- Updated curriculum vitae
- Highest academic qualification certificate
Where you submit the form will depend on the service you apply to join, Here is a list of addresses that will be helpful to you.
- South African Army: The South African Department of Defense, Directorate Human Resource Acquisition, Private Bag X2381, Pretoria, 0001
- South African Navy: The Department of Defence, SA Navy Headquarters (Recruitment Center) Private Bag X104, Pretoria, 0001
- South African Air Force: SA Air Force Headquarters (Directorate of Human Resource Services), Private Bag X199, Pretoria, 0001
After your application, if you meet the requirements, you will be shortlisted for Military Skill Development System (MSDS), a training program that takes two years to complete. In the course of your training, you will acquire relevant skills with which you can thrive on when you finally become a part of SANDF.
In your first week of training, you will undergo medical screening to evaluate whether or not you are fit for the military training that you are about to receive. In the course of your first year, you will go through combat training exercises and other corp-specific training, and in the end, junior leaders will be selected.
After your first year, Junior leaders will receive training known as Leader Group Corps training. Some officers will be selected to study at the military academy, and all junior leaders will also undergo Young Officers Formative training. But to be shortlisted for Military Skill Development System, you have to meet the necessary requirements.
Requirements For Joining SANDF
Although there are different armed services that make up the SANDF, there are general requirements for joining any of the four armed services. You must meet up these requirements before you can be shortlisted for the next part of the recruitment process. These requirements are as follows:
- You must be a South African citizen
- Those applying with their grade 12 certificate must be within the age of 18-23.
- If you are applying as a graduate, your certificate must be from a recognized tertiary institution and you must be within the age of 18-26.
- Applicants must not have any form of criminal record, even a pending case with the police or military can outrightly disqualify you.
- You must be willing to be trained.
- Applicants who are single may be given more preference, but on a general note, your marital status does not determine whether you will be qualified or not.
- You must be medically fit, This will depend on the standard set by SANDF.
- South African citizens who are dual citizens will be disqualified, except they are ready to relinquish the other.
While the above requirements are for all armed services, each of the different services has unique career opportunities and requirements. And while the requirements for the different career opportunities in the South African Army are the same as what is listed above, that of the Air Force, Navy, and Military Health Service are as follows:
Career Opportunities in South African Airforce And Their Requirements
|Combat, Helicopter, Transport, and Maritime Pilot or Navigator
|Pass grade 12 with English as one of your passed subjects, and Mathematics at NSC level 4 or higher.
|Air Traffic Controller, Mission Controller, and Telecommunications Operator
|Civil, Electronic, Mechanical, Industrial, or Aeronautic Engineer
|Pass Mathematics or Physical Science on NSC level 6 or higher, English must be one of the subjects you passed in Grade 12.
|Transport or Protection Support Mustering
|Pass grade 12 with English as one of your passed subjects.
South African Navy Career Opportunities And Requirements
|Other Unique Requirements
|Pass Mathematics and Physical Science on NSC level 6
|Pass Mathematics and Physical Science on level 4
|Pass in Mathematics and Physical Science
|Naval Technical Officer
|NSC level 3 in Mathematics and Physical Science
|Naval Technical Operator
|NSC level 4 in Mathematics and Physical Science
South African Military Health Service Career Opportunities And Unique Requirements
|Other Unique Requirements
|Pass grade 12 with English, Biology, Physical Science, Mathematics, at level 5; your minimum APS should be 35 and you have to be a graduate from the University of Pretoria or Limpopo.
|Four years Nursing Diploma
|Pass grade 12 with at least six subject life sciences, English and minim APS of 24. Also, you must have done SAMHS at nursing college.
|Two Year Enrolled Nurse
|Pass grade 12 with at least six life science, completed SAMHS at nursing college.
|Pass grade 12 at level 4 in Maths, English, and Physical Science with a minimum APS of 25. Your certify must be from the University of Witwatersrand or Pretoria.
If you intend to apply for other SANDF support career opportunities, like logistics, fire fighting, hospitality service, technical, military band, and human resources, you must pass grade 12 with English in level 4 or higher.
Unique Requirements for Becoming A Part of Chaplain Service
- Must be within the age of 18-40
- Have a valid driver’s license
- Theological degree or NQF-7 qualification
- Good standing with a church or religious body
Can People With Disability Join SANDF?
Yes, people with disabilities can be a part of SANDF, but may not take up core military or technical roles.