If you have been using other mobile networks in South Africa and are now considering moving to Cell C or recently lost your Cell C SIM card and wish to retain your former mobile number, it is possible to do so with a Cell C SIM swap.
The process of porting or swapping your SIM with Cell C is straightforward and does not necessarily require any special technical skills. Moreover, if you face any technical challenge, you can always reach out to a customer service agent. Keep reading to learn how to port from MTN, Telkom, Vodacom, and any other network to Cell C.
SIM Swap On Cell C
Cell C is one of the leading network providers in South Africa. More people started moving from other networks to Cell C in 2012 after reducing termination rates in 2011. Research conducted at the University of Johannesburg’s Centre for Competition, Regulation, and Economic Development showed that by reducing termination rates, Cell C helped their South African customers save as much as R47 billion in five years.
If you prefer the quality service Cell C provides, you can join the bandwagon of customers who they are helping to save money. Some of the other possible reasons why you may need to carry out a sim swap include:
- You would need a SIM swap if you lost your previous SIM
- Those who have been using other networks and wish to change to Cell C but would like to prefer to retain their number will need a SIM swap.
- You may also need a SIM swap when upgrading to a contract SIM on Cell C
Requirements For SIM Swap On Cell C
There are only two requirements for SIM swap on Cell C, and if you complete both, you can start and finish the swapping process at home. The two requirements for SIM swap On Cell C include:
- A new Cell C SIM pack
- You have to RICA the new SIM card
You can purchase a new Cell C SIM and RICA at the closest Cell C outlet.
How To RICA Cell C SIM Card Yourself
To RICA a SIM card with Cell C is free and, at the same time, does not take so much effort. RICA is very important because it helps fight and avert crimes that can be committed using a cell phone number. Thankfully, you don’t necessarily have to RICA your SIM at a Cell C outlet, as it can be done online with your smartphone.
What Are The Requirements For RICA?
Before starting the RICA process, you must have all the required documents. The documents you need to RICA a SIM card include:
- Proof of identity
- Proof of Address
Before you start the RICA process, it is important that you first purchase a Cell C SIM card. If you intend to use your mobile phone for the online process, it is also important that the device has a good camera. With all of these in place, you can now proceed to RICA the SIM so that you can also swap if you need to.
How To RICA Cell C SIM Card Online
Please note that the process of RICA stated in this article is valid even if you do not intend to proceed with a SIM swap. Here is how to RICA your Cell C SIM card yourself:
- Visit the Cell C online RICA page
- Tap on the orange ‘RICA SIM’ button
- You will be directed to a page that contains what you need to know about RICA and why it’s important.
- Click on the orange ‘RICA SIM’ button.
- You will be directed to a page that contains details about the documents required for the process.
- Click on ‘Next’ to permit Cell C to store your data
- Enter the RICA serial number at the back of your starter pack
- Enter your PUK number
- To verify your RICA number, take a picture of it with your device
- Click on ‘Next’
- Continue to follow the prompts and information provided until you complete the process.
If you do not have a smartphone, you can RICA your SIM card at any Cell C outlet. After completing the RICA process, you can proceed with the SIM swap.
How To Do Cell C SIM Swap Via SMS
If you still have your old SIM card, swapping your SIM via SMS will be one of the easiest ways. But the method differs depending on the type of SIM card.
Cell C SIM Swap For Prepaid Customers
- Text your SIM serial number to 084 767 8287
- You will receive two confirmatory SMS on your old SIM card
- When your old SIM loses network, insert your new SIM in the phone
SIM Swap For Contract Customers
- Give your current network at least 31 days notice of your intent to port
- Let Cell C know the date you intend to port
- On the day you intend to port, Cell C services will be available for you.
Can You Do Cell C SIM Swap For Lost SIM?
Yes, you can do a SIM swap for a lost SIM. In this case, a SIM swap will not be possible using SMS. However, you can use self-service or call customer service.
Via Customer Service
To swap to a new SIM, if you have lost your old SIM, you can dial 084135 or 135. Select option 9 on the call and wait till a customer service agent picks.
Can You Do Cell C SIM Swap On Self Service?
If you lost your old SIM card, self-service is another way you can swap your SIM to retain your number.
- Ensure that you have activated Cell C Self Service
- Dial 084135 from a landline or another cellphone
- Enter your Self Service PIN
- Select the SIM Swap option.
How To Do Cell C SIM Swap Online
Cell C SIM swap is only possible via SMS, call, or self-service. It cannot be done online. As mentioned earlier, you can only RICA your SIM online.
Cell C SIM Swap USSD Code Number
There is no USSD code to Cell C SIM Swap. However, you can call 084135 or 135 or send your new SIM serial number to 084 767 8287. Alternatively, you can visit the closest Cell C store to swap or port your SIM.
How To Port From MTN To Cell C
- Buy a new Cell C SIM card and RICA the SIM
- Send your new SIM serial number to 084 767 8287
- You will receive a confirmation SMS
- Wait for your MTN SIM to stop working, then start using the new Cell C SIM card.
How To Port From Vodacom To Cell C
- Purchase a new Cell C SIM and RICA it
- Send your Cell C serial number to 084 767 8287
- You will receive a confirmation SMS
- When your Vodacom number stops working, you can now start your Cell C SIM
How Long Does SIM Swap On Cell C Take?
SIM swap on Cell C takes about two hours. However, you are advised to wait for 24hours before using the new SIM. If after the stipulated time it does not reflect, kindly dial 084135 and select option 9 to speak to a Cell C customer care agent.
Cell C SIM Swap Security Questions
Sometime in 2017, Cell C customers complained bitterly about the security questions Cell C was asking when they tried to retrieve their lost phone number as they claimed they were tough to answer.
- Was the SIM RICA registered in your name? If it was, send the RICA serial number of your new SIM and the mobile number.
- Last Amount Recharged on the line
- Date of Last Recharge
- Frequently Dialled Numbers
- Numbers Dialled In The Last 24 hours
- Customer’s Tariff Plan (Voice and Data)