In today’s world of telecommunication and advancement in technology, it’s necessary you know who your caller is. Otherwise, you might be lost in thought asking the question, ‘who called me?’ after dropping a call. These days, smartphones make mobile communication easy, with caller ID apps built for iOS and Android devices to identify who your caller is. In this write-up, you’ll learn the third-party apps to check a phone number in South Africa, which should help you know who your caller is and how to avoid a scam call. Basically, these apps work through a process called reverse phone lookup.
How Does the Reverse Phone Lookup Work?
As the name implies, reverse phone lookup helps you look up a strange caller’s number and address. With a reverse phone lookup, you’re saved from the stress of figuring out who your caller is. It’s straightforward, and there are three ways to get this done;
- Use Google. Just type in the number into the browser and click search. It brings out a list of phone books with the owner’s name, address, and even the caller’s exact location. Make sure to separate the numbers with hyphens when typing, that is, (999-078-6578).
- Use Reverse Phone Lookup Websites. Just type “reverse phone lookup” on your browser and click search. It’ll bring out several sites offering the service, click on anyone, enter the number, and search. What’ll be displayed right in front of you will be the caller’s name, address, and location.
- Use Reverse Phone Lookup Apps. This is the most popular way many people use to know who called them. All you have to do is download any of the apps listed below, register or set it up to work on your phone, and search any unknown number that calls you. Some apps can even tell you who is calling you at the exact time the call comes into your phone. All they mostly need to do this is internet connection on your phone and some permissions you need to grant the app to work properly.
Apps to Check Who Called You in South Africa
It’s already a fact that if you don’t know who called you, you might be getting into a serious problem. But never mind, you need not fear; you can unveil who your caller is. As a smartphone user in South Africa, there’s a need to download any of these third-party applications from Google Playstore (for Android devices) or Apple Store (for IOS). This feature is known as reverse phone number lookup. Reverse phone lookup Apps help to further investigate who the unknown caller is and the caller’s location. Some of the best apps even add a face to who your unknown caller is.
You can use some of these apps for free, which include;
- CallApp – Caller ID and Call Blocker App
- Caller ID
- TrapCall App
- Drupe: Contacts, Phone Dialer & Caller ID App
Use TrueCaller App to Know Who Called You in South Africa
Just imagine your phone ringing, and you don’t know who called you. It could be an old friend whom you’ve avoided for a long time. It could be an unpleasant message that can spoil your day or someone trying to play pranks on you. These reasons and more gave rise to the Truecaller app, which can address any uncertainties. The good thing about the application is that it is compatible with all phone types; Android and iOS.
Main Uses of TrueCaller App
With Truecaller, you’re sure to call the right people; family, friends, and loved ones.
- It’s also useful in organizing your calls and messages in one place.
- Using the Truecaller app leaves your inbox well cleaned and organized.
- There are some numbers you wish to block, and the Truecaller app will help you achieve this and more.
- Using the Truecaller app, you can look up other people’s numbers through the directory. This saves you from spam.
Steps to Setup TrueCaller App on Your Phone
- Download and install the app on your mobile device based on your operating system; Android or iOS.
- You’ll need to log in with your Facebook, Gmail, or Microsoft account, which is quite a flexible option.
- During installation, your permission will be needed to upload your phone book to its server for safety.
- Next is categorization. The app categorizes your incoming calls and begins to display the names and locations of your unknown callers.
TrueCaller also work on Landline
With the advancement in technology, Truecaller has been designed to also work for a landline. Its features can now accommodate your landline.
- To get started, you need to download and install the app on a mobile device.
- Input your landline phone number to register it.
- You’ll receive an SMS from the app to verify the phone number.
- After verification, you’re set to launch the Truecaller app by opening the app menu.
- Click the edit profile link and edit with the pencil icon.
- Then enter your first and last name as you want it to appear on the app.
How to Block Spam Calls on Your Phone Using TrueCaller
Truecaller’s Callers ID automatically identifies and blocks all spam calls and SMS; fraudsters, telemarketers, and any unwanted phone number. The application has an advanced spam detector that automatically carries out these duties for you. The app is known to identify 8.5 million spam monthly in South Africa.
You Can Use CallApp – Caller ID and Call Blocker App to Know Who Called You in South Africa
- Download CallApp – Caller ID and Call Blocker App Android Version
If you want to bid farewell to annoying and harassing calls, you need to get CallApp, set up on your Android device. CallApp is one of the best applications that offer fast response time and precise number identification. Another interesting thing about the app is that it can be integrated as your phone book, having your contacts embedded in it.
It has some versatile features peculiar to the application, like automatic Call Recorder, Blacklist numbers, and Phone number lookup. You can unmask your caller’s location and record the calls in clear sound using the app’s premium quality sound. If you have downloaded the CallApp, I congratulate you, but if not, get started by visiting Google Play Store to download and install the app on your device. To enjoy this incredible app, you’ll need to set it up after installing.
Main Uses of CallApp – Caller ID and Call Blocker App
- Primarily CallApp – Caller ID and Call Blocker App enables you to detect unknown callers before they call you.
- Block unknown callers or unwanted calls.
- Detect spams calls coming into your phone.
- Enables you to report newly identified spam calls/phone numbers.
- View your call history with more insight.
Steps to Setup CallApp – Caller ID and Call Blocker App on Your Phone
- You can download the android version of the app here Caller ID and Call Blocker App and install it on your phone.
- Click on the CallApp icon. Just locate it amongst the other apps on your device to launch it.
- Choose 1 of 3 to sign up either with your phone number, Facebook, or Google account (if you have any). To complete this step accurately, make sure CallApp is set as your default dialer.
- After you’re done signing up, allow permission to your contacts, media, and files. You need not worry; this permission is for a personalized experience, with no third-person/party interference.
- An SMS will be sent to your registered number to confirm the number. Make sure you receive SMSs on this number and confirm it, as this is very important.
- You’re one step closer to the finishing line. You’ll be asked if you want to go premium. Going premium offers you additional features with an exciting experience, so you may choose to.
- Then click ‘start using CallApp.’
Note that you can permit CallApp to also ‘draw over app,’ to draw on your screen. To do so;
- Click allow and turn on settings, select CallApp and turn the toggle on.
- All your contacts will appear on your screen; select the clock to see past call history.
- You can then select ‘GIFT’ to take a short tutorial of all CallApp has to offer you.
Then enjoy all of CallApp’s features from call identifying, calls recording, calls blocking, customizing, and many others.
How to Block a Number Using CallApp – Caller ID and Call Blocker App on Your Phone
- Open the Caller ID and Call Blocker App on your phone.
- Click on recent to view your recently received calls.
- Click on the number you want to block or report as spam.
- Tap block or report spam to do either of the two, and the number won’t be able to call you again.
Use Caller ID to Know Who Called You in South Africa
- Download Caller ID Android Version
Stop bothering yourself about who called you. No matter how much you try to rack your brain, you can’t unravel who the caller is when you have no clue. You can bail the cat out of the bag by downloading and installing the Caller ID – who called me application. By doing this, you’ll save yourself so much trouble.
The application tracks unknown numbers, enables you to block spam calls and SMS, and also locate strange numbers. It’s known to have a large database of over 15 million users around the globe; this shows how widely used the app is. Even if you’ll need to put a face to the caller, the app is more effective in displaying the caller’s true identity.
Main Uses of Caller ID App
- Identify unknown phone numbers.
- Report unwanted calls or even filter them out.
- Identify spam calls or phone numbers and also report them.
- You can create a profile so other people can easily identify your number when calling you without knowing who you are.
Steps to Setup Caller ID App on Your Phone
- First, download the app from the Google store and make sure it’s installed and accessible like every other app on your phone.
- Open the app on your device.
- Tap more options > settings > spam and call screen.
- Next, you’ll see the directives indicating ‘See caller and spam ID’ on or off.
- To block spam calls on your phone, click Filter suspected spam calls. With this, you’ll see filtered calls in your call history and will be able to check any voicemail you receive, but you won’t get missed call notifications.
To know your caller’s name and number, you’ll need to turn on the Caller ID announcement.
- Open the app on your mobile device.
- More options > Settings > Caller ID announcement > Announce Caller ID
- Choose any option of your choice; Always; Only when using a headset; Never.
How to Report or Block a Number Using Caller ID App on Your Phone
- Open the app on your mobile device.
- Tap recent at the bottom.
- Then click on the call you want to report as spam or block.
- Two options, either to Block or Report spam.
- If you tap Block, you’ll need to confirm your option, and if Report spam, you’ll need to confirm too.
- Once you confirm either, the number will be effectively blocked or reported as spam.
You Can Also Use TrapCall App to Know Who Called You in South Africa
TrapCall helps you get back your privacy. You’ll unmask all restricted or unknown calls using the TrapCall app. It blocks harassing callers from wasting your time. If you also need to know the name and address of your strange caller, blacklist them to avoid future calls. Then TrapCall is designed just for you. The TrapCall app can be downloaded on your Android and iOS devices with the links above.
Main Uses of TrapCall App
- Report unwanted calls.
- Block unwanted callers.
- Filter out who to receive phone calls from.
- Identify spam calls and report them.
- View your phone book and call history.
Steps to Setup TrapCall App on Your Phone
- Turn on your phone’s internet and visit the Apple Store or Google Store and download TrapCall.
- Install the app and open it to complete your registration.
- There’s a free trial of 7 days, and you can use these days to explore the app to know all its features and see if it’s an app you’ll love to go for its paid version.
- You can also start your free trial by creating your account here. You sign up with your phone number, create a pin and input your email address.
Once your account is set up, here’s how to unmask your strange caller;
- When receiving a call from a blocked, restricted, or unknown caller, decline. If your phone is locked, press the unlock button twice to decline the call.
- As soon as the call is declined, it gets forwarded to the Trapcall app, and within a short while, you receive (unmask) the number of the strange caller.
- You can also block the unmasked number by adding it to your blacklist. Anytime the number calls you in the future, a message will be sent to it “the number you’re calling is no longer in service or has been disconnected.”
How to Report or Block a Number Using TrapCall App on Your Phone
- Open the TrapCall app on your phone.
- Click on the setting button.
- Click on blocklist or spam list.
- Add the phone number/s you want to block or add as spam and save.
- The phone number/s will be treated as a blocked contact or spam when next it tries calling you.
Use Drupe: Contacts, Phone Dialer & Caller ID App to Know Who Called You in South Africa
- Download Drupe: Contacts, Phone Dialer & Caller ID App Android Version
- Download Drupe: Contacts, Phone Dialer & Caller ID App iOS Version
Another popular app in South Africa used for unmasking unknown callers, blocking them outrightly, or even detecting spam calls is the Drupe app. The app is more than a reverse phone app as it has a phone dialler feature integrated into it. Furthermore, Drupe boasts of many free features, which you have to pay for premium packages in other apps to enjoy. One of these features is being able to record incoming and outgoing calls automatically, send WhatsApp messages to a caller with the click of a button, and so much more.
It can never be said enough how special the Drupe app is on this list. One can’t go wrong when you say the app was made with users who are always on the go. It gives users various means to communicate with their contact or a number who contacts the user. These apps range from email, video calling apps like Google’s Duo, Facebook Messenger, Telegram, etc. You can also access your contacts the basic way you would always have access to them via your phone book but this time around with options to contact them via various apps.
Main Uses of Drupe: Contacts, Phone Dialer & Caller ID App
- Identify unknown callers.
- Report or block unwanted calls and SMS.
- Quickly communicate with your phone contacts using a variety of options.
Steps to Setup and Use Drupe: Contacts, Phone Dialer & Caller ID App on Your Phone
- To get started, all you need to do is download Drupe: Contacts, Phone Dialer & Caller ID App on your phone, whether the android or iOS version.
- Install the app if it does not get automatically installed, and remember to give it all the necessary permissions to function well.
- These permissions are not meant to steal your information in any way; rather, it is to give you the best-personalized experience using the app.
- Register on the app, and click on continue.
- The app will load and present your phone book and call history in an intuitive way you never imagined possible.
- In the settings, you can further customize how the app looks to your preference.
How to Report or Block a Number Using Drupe: Contacts, Phone Dialer & Caller ID App on Your Phone
Now to the more important feature. Drupe recognizes that sometimes you might be at a loss on who called you or even want to block a number outrightly or report it as spam. Interestingly, Drupe has just updated how to block a number on its app. Here’s how to do it;
- Locate the number you want to block on the Drupe Recent Call list.
- Drag the number down to the bottom of the screen
- A pop-up bar will appear, then you should drop the number in the option that says “Block.”
- If you want to report the number as spam, drop it in the option that says “Spam.”
- With these easy steps, you will have effectively blocked a number from calling you or reported it as spam and know who called me in South Africa.
Why it’s Important to Know Who Called You
It’s unsafe to receive calls from an unknown caller. Your safety is paramount as anyone can get your number somewhere and put a call through to you without your consent. You may be asking why I should know who called me? Some major reasons could prompt you to know who is calling; listed below are a few;
- To avoid some form of harassment and embarrassment at the other end. Most times, unknown callers are dangerous and harmful, so it’s best to identify the caller and prevent embarrassment.
- With the increasing number of scammers and cyber-crimes, it’s imperative to have a third-party app to unmask unknown callers, to avoid being scammed over the phone.
- Some persons call to steal financial details using numbers unknown to the caller. It is therefore important to track the caller’s identity to avoid being a victim.
However, some instances may require you to find out who called. It might be due to the caller’s voice/tone and manner of approach. At some other times, it could be the caller refuses to display their identity to you, yet asking you sensitive questions over the phone. It could also be that you’re not just comfortable with the conversation. Then you should be able to ascertain who called you in South Africa using any of the apps and methods we explained above.