Standard Bank is a well-known financial institution in South Africa and one of the leading banks in the country. Standard Bank is constantly improving its customer service approach to stay relevant and remain competitive in the industry. They have adopted technology to make things easier for their customers and their employees as well. This has made their customers remain loyal while prospective customers now see reasons to start banking with them.
It is no news that most banks in South Africa and all around Africa have taken advantage of their large customer base to venture into the sales of airtime and data bundles by working closely with network providers. Standard Bank has taken this to another level by introducing their own Subscriber’s Identification Module – Standard Bank SIM card – for all their customers.
What You Need To Know About The Standard Bank SIM Card
Standard Bank customers can now purchase a Standard Bank SIM card that performs similar functions as the normal SIM cards we get from our network providers. To qualify for the Standard Bank SIM card, you must be a bonafide customer of the bank with a cheque account or credit card.
Customers who have a Standard Bank SIM card are eligible for a reward of 1MB for every R10 spent from their credit card. Users of the Standard Bank SIM card will have to pay a monthly subscription fee of R39 from their account and get back this fee as an airtime bonus.
Standard Bank has also allowed its SIM card users to choose between two different plans, including the Standard Bank Mobile Flexi and the Standard Bank Mobile Top-up. The Standard Bank Mobile Flexi plan allows users to use airtime or data on credit and pay later, but it has a spending limit that can be increased per time. The second plan, called the Standard Bank Mobile Top-up, does not come with any spending limit, and its users can top up their airtime any time it runs out.
To ensure that customers who may not be interested in getting the Standard Bank SIM card are not left out, the bank has also made it possible for any customer to buy airtime or data from their Standard Bank account with or without a Standard Bank SIM card.
How Do I Activate And RICA My Standard Bank SIM Card?
Just like your regular SIM card from popular network providers like MTN, Vodacom, and the likes, it is also important that you RICA your Standard Bank SIM card. However, Standard Bank has taken the responsibility of ensuring that your custom-made Standard Bank SIM card is RICA.
On delivery of your SIM card by a courier agent, your South Africa ID number and proof of residence will be requested of you by the courier agent. You must provide the right information as it will be used to complete the SIM card RICA registration successfully.
After receiving your SIM card, you will need to activate it before you can start using it. To activate your Standard Bank SIM card, select ‘Activate SIM’ on the Standard Bank mobile home page and complete the process by following the prompts.
How To Buy Airtime From Standard Bank In South Africa
The good thing about buying airtime from your Standard Bank account is that the process is the same with or without the Standard Bank SIM card. There are different ways a Standard Bank customer can buy airtime from their account. All that is required from you is that you choose the method that works best for you.
Buy Airtime From Your Standard Bank Account Via Cellphone Banking
Standard Bank Cellophone banking involves using USSD code, which means that it is a suitable method for topping up your airtime whether you are a smartphone user or not. To buy airtime using cellphone banking, follow the steps below:
- Open your phone dialer.
- Dial *120*2345#.
- Select the Prepaid Recharge option.
- Follow the prompt on your phone to enter the amount of airtime you want to buy and make payment.
- Once your purchase is confirmed, you will be credited with the equivalent amount of airtime.
Alternatively, for a quick top-up, dial *130*2345#.
How To Buy Airtime Using The Standard Bank Mobile App
Buying airtime from your Standard Bank account using the mobile app is a swift process but is limited to those who have smartphones. To access the Standard Bank mobile app, you will have to first download it from the Google play store or app store, depending on your phone’s software.
After downloading the app, proceed to installing and registering your account on it. Once you have successfully registered your account on the app, you can now perform a wide range of services like money transfer, checking of account balance, and buying airtime from the comfort of your home. To buy airtime from the Standard Bank mobile app, follow the steps below:
- Open your mobile app.
- Sign in to the app using your password.
- Tap on ‘Buy’ at the button navigation area.
- Tap on the icon of your network provider.
- A list of airtime vouchers will be displayed on your screen; tap on the one you will like to purchase. If the amount of airtime you want to buy is not on the list, click on ‘Own Account.’
- Select the account you will like to use to pay for the airtime.
- Tap on ‘Price’ and enter the amount of airtime you will like to purchase.
- Tap on ‘Number to Top Up’ and enter the correct mobile number you will like to buy the airtime for.
- To review the information you have provided, click on ‘Review.’ After cross-checking to ensure you provided the accurate information, click on ‘Confirm.’
- An OTP will be sent to you; enter it and then tap on ‘Submit.’
- Once your payment is confirmed, a green notification that reads ‘Payment Successful’ will be displayed on your screen.
You Can Buy Airtime From Your Standard Bank Account Using An ATM
The process of buying airtime via a Standard Bank ATM is as easy as cash withdrawal, and here is how to go about it:
- Visit the nearest standard bank ATM.
- Input your credit/debit card.
- Select the buy airtime option.
- Follow the prompts to purchase airtime successfully.
How To Buy Airtime From Your Standard Bank Account Via Online Banking
Buying airtime via online banking requires that you have a smart gadget that can access the internet and mobile data. If you have all these, then here’s how to purchase airtime from your Standard Bank account using online banking:
- Log on to the online banking platform. Once you are logged in, you will be welcomed with your account summary dashboard.
- Click on ‘Transact’ located at the top menu bar.
- Under the pay and transfer category, click on ‘Prepaid.’
- Click on your service provider’s icon.
- Choose the account you will like to buy from.
- Enter the amount of airtime you will like to buy.
- Click on ‘Next.’
- Enter the cell phone number you are purchasing the airtime for, then click on ‘Next.’
- Confirm the details you have provided, then click on ‘Confirm.’
- An OTP will be sent to you; enter it, then click on ‘Submit.’
- A green notification that reads ‘Payment Successful’ will be displayed on your screen.
You will be credited with airtime almost immediately after a successful transaction.
Can I Reverse Airtime Purchase After Payment?
No, immediately you have successfully purchased airtime, it is impossible to reverse it. Therefore, you need to ensure that you enter the right cell phone number and amount during the transaction process.