The sudden demise of former South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) board member and presenter Hope Zinde has been described by South Africans as painful and shocking.
And following the passing away of the Television and radio presenter, many have poured out their thoughts and prayers to her family.
The 50-year-old presenter was found dead in her car boot last Saturday at her home- Pecanwood estate near Hartebeespoort Dam in North West.
Zinde’s cold body was found after a family member alerted security agents that she had been missing for some time. And after ferreting around, the police was drawn to the boot of her car, where she was found lifeless.
Sadly, it is understood that Zinde was murdered last Monday but just was discovered last weekend.
Meanwhile, her 28-year-old son, Mark Zinde has been formally charged with her murder and he made his first court appearance in the Brits Magistrates Court on Monday.
The 28-year-old son was taken into custody shortly after the discovery. In addition, North West police spokesman Sabata Mokgwabone told reporters that apart from Zinde’s murder charge, the 28-year-old suspect is also charged with possession of “large amount” of drugs.
While investigations would continue, Mark is expected to undergo psychiatric evaluation. He would be back in the dock on Friday.
North West police also expressed confidence that a post-mortem report will reveal more details surrounding her death.
SABC Mourns Hope Zinde
Zinde’s death was received with shock at the SABC. Kaizer Kganyago, a worker in SABC said: “We at the SABC have been saddened by the death of someone who was an employee and board member at the SABC. Our board’s chairperson says it is with sadness that he hears about this.
She played her part as a journalist in the organisation and a board member. She really did her best.”
Public Protector Thuli Madonsela also tweeted: “Shocked by the news of Hope Zinde’s untimely and tragic passing. What a loss. Condolences to loved ones and colleagues.”
North West Premier Supra Mahumapelo also expressed sadness at the death of TV personality. “We are really saddened by Zinde’s death and on behalf of the people of Bokone Bophirima Province I would like to urge the police to do whatever they can to bring the culprit to book.
We send our heartfelt condolences to the family and want them to know that our thoughts and prayers are with them during this difficult time,” Mahumapelo said in a statement on Sunday.
Hope Zinde started working as a journalist at the SABC in 1991- 2006 as a radio and TV personality. She was axed by Communications Minister Faith Muthambi.
The presently however claimed that Minister Muthambi fired her, together with her colleagues Rachel Kalidass and Ronnie Lubisi for not supporting Hlaudi Motsoeneng’s appointment as chief operations officer.
Zinde was working with the Passenger Rail Agency of South Africa at the time of her death.
She was also described as a passionate journalist, who played a role in advancing public broadcasting in South Africa. Her guidance and love towards young journalist and media practitioners were shared fondly by many.