SA’s Drug Smuggling High Commissioner Now At The End Of The Line


It’s now the end of the line for South Africa’s controversial ambassador to Singapore, Hazel Francis Ngubeni.

This comes after the Security Security Agency announced that her security clearance has been revoked; and that she is being investigated.

Read Also: Who Knew SA’s Ambassador To Singapore Is A Drug Dealer?

Arthur Fraser, the director-general and accounting officer of the SSA who wrote to International Relations Minister Maite Nkoana-Mashabane on Friday stated that the agency has revoked Ngubeni’s security clearance.

The 55-year-old former air hostess for South African Airways (SAA) made headlines last week after it emerged that she is a convicted drug dealer.

Ngubeni (who went by the name Francis MacDonald when she worked at SAA) was caught smuggling a bag of cocaine while working as a cabin attendant for SAA. After her arrest, she spent two years in a US prison from 1999 to 2001.

She reportedly confirmed her conviction claiming she was wrongfully jailed after a strange bag was uncovered in her luggage.

Hazel Francis Ngubeni Out-Smarts Diplomatic Authorities

In 2013, she was able to out-smart diplomatic clearance authorities by hiding her conviction history when she was deployed to Singapore in 2013 as South Africa’s high commissioner. Ngubeni left South Africa for Singapore on April 17, 2013 and her security clearance was issued on July 21, 2013.

She is not a first-timer in drug smuggling dealings. In September 1995, she was arrested at OR Tambo International Airport in Johannesburg. She was subsequently charged with smuggling 9kg of heroin into South Africa from Thailand.

However, in 1997, she was dramatically acquitted when a key witness refused to testify against her. She also owned up to the crime but alleged that her bag was switched.

“…… Unbeknown to me he was given another bag by someone I knew….,” she claimed.

See Also: Dlamini Sky-Rockets Travel Budget To R121.5 Million Amid Social Grants Shortfall

Hazel Francis Ngubeni was appointed to her position by a senior political leadership, according to records from the South African Department of International Relations.

Meanwhile, the dead wood returned to South Africa on Monday following SSA’s decision. She is expected to face the wrath of the law sooner or later.