The University of Pretoria online application system is open for the most part of the year. The institution has phased out paper applications, and all applications are now submitted online with the appropriate application fee.
In fact, according to the university, the completion of applications can be done online with little or no stress as long as the needed documents are handy. The process begins with logging in through the school’s designated portal. On the online application, UP offers would-be students a first and second choice in terms of what they wish to study. And as such, they are expected to fill in both a first and second choice.
University of Pretoria Application Process
The process of applying to the University of Pretoria isn’t a difficult one. Each student sending in an application must do so through the designated portal. To begin, you must have active email and internet access for logging in.
Immediately after applicants send in their applications, they are immediately issued a student number (EMPLID) as confirmation of receipt. The student numbers are forwarded to the email address they entered at the beginning of the application process.
However, the issuance of the EMPLID does not, in any way, indicate that you have been admitted into UP for studies yet. Your application must be evaluated properly by concerned authorities before the school admits you.
For direct communication with UP, it is expected that you enter your personal email and postal addresses during the application.
Here are some important facts to note about UP’s admission
- UP online applications process is done only once.
- The process opens on 1 April of the year preceding the year of study.
- Applicants are advised to complete their own online application as the University does not make use of representatives, agents, or agencies during the application process.
- For the application for Distance Education admission (Faculty of Education), applicants are advised to visit the “Distance Education” web page before applying as different rules are applicable.
- The selection programmes – BSc(Arch)(Architecture) or BSc(Int)(Interior Architecture), must be indicated as the first choice by applicants on the online application else the university will not consider them for these programmes.
University of Pretoria Late Application
Applicants must apply to the University of Pretoria (UP) within the stipulated time frame as the university does not accept late applications or consider applications that are submitted after the main application deadline.
Prospective applicants are, therefore, advised not to wait until the application deadline.
University of Pretoria Application Form
Only applicants who meet the requirements of the school for the application form are issued the forms. What are the items needed for this process? They include:
- The South African identity number
- A working email address
- Passport number (for international applicants).
To have access to UP’s application form, simply
- Visit https://www.up.ac.za/online-application
- Input proof of payment of your registration fee (compulsory for SA and International applicants)
- Next is a certified copy of your ID document (ID document is compulsory for SA citizens as your application cannot be processed without a certified copy of your ID and Passport Number for International Applicants).
- Enter your exam results: Final Grade 12 results (if available). Then, Grade 11 results (if currently doing grade 12) are very important for your application. Hence, it must be handy.
You can simply download the form by clicking the Download icon on the application area. Details on the hard copy are not different from what is already online.
N.B: You need a unique email address when applying either online or in a hard copy.
University of Pretoria Application Portal
Before accessing the UP’s portal, it is expected that you must have received your student number. This number is essential because you would have to use it for future interaction with the school. Remember, the number is issued once your online application has been processed.
After receiving your number, you would have to wait for 48 hours before accessing the portal. To begin:
- Go to www.up.ac.za
- Click on myuplogin
- Click on New User if you have not accessed the portal before.
- Enter your username (which is your student number starting with a “u” and your 13-digit South African ID number or passport number you used with your application).
- Click on proceed and you will be guided on how to create a new password for future use.
- Once you are done, enter your username and newly created password
- Click on submit
- Now you have signed in, click on the Go button in the student center section to proceed.
University of Pretoria Application Fee
The University of Pretoria application fee costs R300 (US$30) for 2023. The application fee is non-refundable. Once you have registered, your personal student account details can be viewed on the UP Student Portal (Student Centre).
If you are a first-time user:
- Go to the UP Student Portal
- Click on ‘New User’
- Enter your student number as a username.
- Type in your ID/passport number and click on ‘Proceed’.
- The summary of fees and statement of account icons contains handy information.
For payment, here are the available options and you can use any of them:
- Online credit card payment (for payment with a valid credit card with sufficient funds and by entering the correct details). Acceptable cards are MasterCard, Visa, American Express, or Diners Club.
Note: Any of these cards must have valid credit card information and sufficient funds.
- Alternative mechanisms (eg. Electronic Funds Transfer or a bank deposit). You can use of these methods to pay directly into the school’s account number.
Note: Ensure to quote your temporary online study application number (typically in the form T1234567) that would have been emailed to you as the payment reference and to also retain the proof of payment as you will be required to scan and upload the PDF file together with your other supporting documents when making such deposits.
International students are advised to should allow at least ten (10) working days for processing by the bank and to retain the proof of payment for reference purposes.
When is the University of Pretoria Online Application Closing Date?
The University of Pretoria applications are currently open for the 2023 academic year. However, the closing date for all selection programs usually closes towards the end of June, but there is no set closing date for applications to the university for non-selection programs.