Are you a local or international student seeking a reputable public school in South Africa and considering Stellenbosch University? If yes, then you would find this guide to Stellenbosch University application helpful, so keep reading.
Stellenbosch University, also known by its abbreviation SU, is one of the oldest universities in South Africa – and Africa as a whole. It is a public research university that upholds the mantra that says sound education strengthens the spirit.
In this article, we have brought to the fore certain aspects of the institution you need to be aware of if you need to apply, such as the various faculties, how to apply for Stellenbosch University, their fees, and lots more that would make your application process easier.
Stellenbosch University Offers Degree in Various Courses Under These Ten Faculties viz:
- Arts and Social Sciences
- Economic and Management Sciences
- Military Science
- Business School
Perhaps, the best part is that Stellenbosch University is open to local and international students.
Stellenbosch University Online Application Process
You do not have to visit Stellenbosch University physically to apply. You can start and complete your entire application process online.
Follow these steps to apply to Stellenbosch University:
- Visit www.maties.com to apply
- Enter a valid email address and phone number
- A conformity message will be sent to your email address and phone number
- You will receive a student number (username) and an 8-digit password to complete your application
- Complete your profile. Fill the red-tagged compulsory screens, then submit.
- Ensure that your information is accurate. If your information is wrong, the university will reject your application. However, you can continue your application later as the portal saves your details in the event of a power outage.
- You will be sent your official SUN-password alongside your student number (username) to access your application status.
- Upload the required application documents and monitor your application status
- Upload all your documents before the closing date so that your application will be considered.
Though all prospective students are advised to apply online, there is room for those without internet access in their neighborhood to apply manually.
For A Hardcopy Application, Follow These Steps:
- Get the hardcopy application form from the contact and client center. Call 021 808 9111 or write to [email protected]
- Carefully and correctly fill out the form and send it alongside the required application documents. You must send in your application and documents before the closing date.
- Do not do both hardcopy and online applications as that would be viewed as a double application which you lead to a rejection of your application.
Documents Required For Stellenbosch University Application
Your application is incomplete and can not be considered without the required documents.
Here is a list of the required documents for admission application:
- Gr 11 or Gr 12 final results or Academic transcript
- Signed contract: This contract should be signed by your parent or guardian. Note that electronic signatures are not accepted. Print the document, sign it, and then upload it
- Proof of payment of application fee
- Proof of permanent residence (for international students only)
- Students support form (for students with a disability only)
- Faculty specified documents (where applicable)
These documents are to be uploaded on your application status link on www.maties.com. All uploads must be done before the closing date; else, your application will not be considered.
Stellenbosch University Online Application Fee
To apply for Stellenbosch University admission, a non-repayable sum of R100 must be paid. However, this fee is only applicable to South African students.
These students are exempted from the fee:
- International students
- Stellenbosch Business School students
- Students from quintile 1 to 3 schools.
How To Pay Your Stellenbosch University Online Application Fee
You can pay your online application fee using any of these options:
- Make cash payments to the bursars at the Administrative building A (Stellenbosch Campus).
- Explore other payment options at www.maties.com or contact the client service on 021 808 9111 or write to [email protected].
When Can I Apply For Stellenbosch University Admission?
Stellenbosch University applications are restricted to the following dates:
- April 4: Application open for all undergraduate programs
- June 15: Application open for financial assistance students
- July 31: Application closes for resident students and all undergraduate programs
- November 30: Application closes for financial assistance students and NSFAS bursaries
- January 26: Application closes for School of Public Leadership
However, the late application is not considered as the admission is keenly competed for. Ensure to apply and complete your application early.
What Average Do You Need To Get Into Stellenbosch University?
The minimum academic requirement to obtain admission for a bachelor’s degree at Stellenbosch University are:
- 30% for a South African Language of teaching and learning (English or Afrikaans)
- Final year school results: National Senior Certificate (NSC) or Independent Examination Board (IEB) with an average of at least 60%
Nevertheless, students not applying from the country (international school systems) are to meet certain requirements. These requirements include:
- They must provide final school results from the international curriculum, not excluding the School of Tomorrow
- For Cambridge applicants, they must include O-level, IGCSE, or GCSE certificates
- They must meet the requirements set by Universities South Africa for Matriculation Exemption. You can check the requirements here http://mb.usaf.ac.za
- For the American system applicants, they must make available the necessary exemption documents as specified by the USAF at https://mb.usaf.ac.za/united-states-of-america/
Application for University Exemption is usually made in the first year of registration; therefore, you do not have to present it on the first day. However, you will be able to register if you qualify for the Exemption.
You can click here to access more information on the minimum requirements for the application.
How To Track Your Stellenbosch University Admission Status
- You can monitor your admission status on www.maties.com or visit the school website
- Enter your username and password, then sign into the portal
- Then you can view your admission status
Alternatively, you can visit the Stellenbosch Campus. You can also go to the Tygerberg Campus and check your admission status on the first floor of the Clinical building.
How Long Does It Take Stellenbosch University To Reply Your Application?
According to Stellenbosch University, the admission process is quite difficult and time-consuming. It would take at least six weeks from the closing date for applicants to get feedback on the status of their admission.
One thing you must not is that admission into SU is keenly contested for. Therefore, meeting the requirements is not a guarantee that you will be granted admission. However, your fate would be known at least six weeks from the date the application was closed.